Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More ECM Flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
BlueRoad
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No More ECM Flash

I have a new 07 RKC that I want todo a stage 1 SE/AC and put on some Rush 2" pipes. That's all I want to do as far and the engine goes. I went to 2 dealers in the DC area, and asked hoe much it cost to have a Stage 1 ECM download/flash/recalibration, expecting it to be around $175 or so. All I got was the struck deer look. Service didn't know what I was talking about and sent me to parts which sent me back to service. Finally an old timer sales person told me that harley didn't do this on bikes newer than '05, but that If I wanted to do AC, I should get a SERT ($460). Plus I guess I need dyno time on top of that. Well, that's great if a person has the disposible income and might be doing multiple mods, but I only want to do these two things and the end. I see a lot of people here claiming that they have had Harley dealer to a stage1 ECM flash. Am I being flim-flammed by the local dealers or what? Do I need to get out to the country to get this? If I get a 3rd party Fuel Management System, won't that screw-up my warrenty? I see plenty of people in this forum running 06's -07's here with a PC III, fuelpak, etc. I like the HD product, but I am concerned that if anything ever happened to the bke, they would blame it on the 3d party modification. A little trust issue there.

All the HD catalogue says regarding the SE Air Filter is:

"NOTE: Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow engine to rev to 6200 RPM. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included. When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson® Dealer, these kits do not impact the vehicle's limited warranty."

Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: No More ECM Flash

[sm=ummmmokay.gif]
Owened by the same people maybe.
MOO Money on SERT and DynoTune. Do yourself a favour and get a Tmax.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like they want to sell you a SERT and all the goodies. I'd tell them to pack sand. Any dealer that doesn't know what a Stage 1 download is damn sure wouldn't be touching my bike...

If all you want to do is richen the mix after Stage 1 mods, get a V&H Fuel Pak & be done with it.If you have problems requiring dealer service it only takes a few seconds to remove the FP and the bike is back to stock.
I got my FPnew for $180 on Ebay...

Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlueRoad

I have a new 07 RKC that I want todo a stage 1 SE/AC and put on some Rush 2" pipes. That's all I want to do as far and the engine goes. I went to 2 dealers in the DC area, and asked hoe much it cost to have a Stage 1 ECM download/flash/recalibration, expecting it to be around $175 or so. All I got was the struck deer look. Service didn't know what I was talking about and sent me to parts which sent me back to service. Finally an old timer sales person told me that harley didn't do this on bikes newer than '05, but that If I wanted to do AC, I should get a SERT ($460). Plus I guess I need dyno time on top of that. Well, that's great if a person has the disposible income and might be doing multiple mods, but I only want to do these two things and the end. I see a lot of people here claiming that they have had Harley dealer to a stage1 ECM flash. Am I being flim-flammed by the local dealers or what? Do I need to get out to the country to get this? If I get a 3rd party Fuel Management System, won't that screw-up my warrenty? I see plenty of people in this forum running 06's -07's here with a PC III, fuelpak, etc. I like the HD product, but I am concerned that if anything ever happened to the bke, they would blame it on the 3d party modification. A little trust issue there.

All the HD catalogue says regarding the SE Air Filter is:

"NOTE: Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow engine to rev to 6200 RPM. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included. When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson® Dealer, these kits do not impact the vehicle's limited warranty."

The stage 1 download is available for all years with EFI, just had it done to my 08, price is 149.00 + .5 hour labor. The downloads are not tangable they are on the dealers hd network website for the dealer to download into your ecm. If a service manager doesnt know what one is, you need to be dealing with somebody else because they are very un informed.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah - what Gunrunner said. I just had the Stage 1 download done on my '07 Road King. Looks like you want to find a different dealer!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM
dt20
Tourer

i also was told the same thing with the 08 SG that there was no download out as of this time. they also told me that harley told them to
do nothing to the 08's other than slip on mufflers. In the dc area as well gonna call around to a couple other shops and see what they say.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Wags1
Tourer

I don't mean to be blunt but I think you need to go find a dealer that has a clue. I personally have had a reflash done on my '07 RKC before I got around to buying my SERT andhaving it dyno tuned. You might, if you want to even bother (and have a little fun), go back to those two dealers, go to the service department, ask for the service managerand ask them how exactly they would address a number of specific MoCo Service Bulletins like the following, without the ability to reflash the ECM -

M-1191 2007 ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
July 14, 2006
Purpose
For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions, an optional dealer enabled engine calibration is available. This calibration offers limited rear cylinder cooling with the vehicle stopped while the engine is left at idle. If the customer decides to delete the rear cylinder cooling, he may contact the dealer to have this done.
Motorcycles Affected
All 2007 Touring and Police Models (FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLTR, FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRS, FLHX, FLHTCUSE2, FLHRSE3, FLHTP, FLHP, and FLHPE).

After the service manager stops stammering and stuttering they may magically remember how to do ECM reflashes/calibrations.....

Their was also another Service Bulletin that required an ECM reflash that was to help performance on '07 touring bikes but I can't put my finger on that one right now. Perhaps someone else has it handy...

Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Wags1

I don't mean to be blunt but I think you need to go find a dealer that has a clue. I personally have had a reflash done on my '07 RKC before I got around to buying my SERT andhaving it dyno tuned. You might, if you want to even bother (and have a little fun), go back to those two dealers, go to the service department, ask for the service managerand ask them how exactly they would address a number of specific MoCo Service Bulletins like the following, without the ability to reflash the ECM -

M-1191 2007 ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
July 14, 2006
Purpose
For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions, an optional dealer enabled engine calibration is available. This calibration offers limited rear cylinder cooling with the vehicle stopped while the engine is left at idle. If the customer decides to delete the rear cylinder cooling, he may contact the dealer to have this done.
Motorcycles Affected
All 2007 Touring and Police Models (FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLTR, FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRS, FLHX, FLHTCUSE2, FLHRSE3, FLHTP, FLHP, and FLHPE).

After the service manager stops stammering and stuttering they may magically remember how to do ECM reflashes/calibrations.....

Their was also another Service Bulletin that required an ECM reflash that was to help performance on '07 touring bikes but I can't put my finger on that one right now. Perhaps someone else has it handy...

GOOD POINT Wags1!

Blueroad,
RUN! don't walk to another dealer.
Don't deal with anyone telling you what those guys are telling you.
I got a complete Stage 1 in May on my '07 Road King.
The SERT is not necessary with just the couple things you want to do to your RKC.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM
JTE2518
Advanced

I've got an 06 road king stage 1 w/pipes has had two updates.check other dealers.also have injectors looked at for update to the 25* from the standard 8*

Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
dt20
Tourer

my mistake yeah they should have it for the 07 mine is an 08 for some reason i read it wrong

Quick Reply: No More ECM Flash