Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High-beam LED out

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007 | 10:58 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default High-beam LED out

Last night I noticed the high-beam indicator LED has gone out on the SG. The manual says the individual LED's can't be replaced and the entire module containing turn-signal, high-beam, neutral, and oil LED's must be replaced. Anyone ever had one of these warning LED's go out? I think this is a new part starting with '07's. Now, would this be covered in warranty? Bulbs aren't specifically listed as not covered, although you would assume they wouldn't be, but since the entire assembly must be replaced you could argue it is the bad part, not just the LED. Haven't approached the dealer, but if not too expensive or not covered by the warranty I'll just do it myself.

Old 09-16-2007 | 11:10 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: High-beam LED out

I'd give it a shot and ask if it's covered under warranty. An LED indicator shouldn't go out in such little time.

Old 09-16-2007 | 11:59 PM
thereal142
Road Captain

I had the neutral LED go out on my '07 FLHX @ 2000 miles is/was covered under warranty.

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:04 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dawg

I'd give it a shot and ask if it's covered under warranty. An LED indicator shouldn't go out in such little time.
I am of the same opinion, a LED should not have burned out this fast. You may have another problem that is causing it not to work. Loose connector, bad wire,etc.
I would have the dealer look at it, and it should be covered under warrenty.

Old 09-17-2007 | 05:21 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, the downside will be having to leave it for a day or two...

Old 09-17-2007 | 08:46 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

It should be covered. Can't hurt to ask.

Old 09-17-2007 | 10:22 AM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

They said they'd fix it in warranty. Good thing, as it's a $54 part ($34 at Zanotti's before shipping). I guess I'll let these schmucks touch my bike, but I don't like it.

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:45 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Should be an easy repair - remove console, disconnect plug from module, remove 2 screws, replace module, reverse. Should take all of 30 minutes, if that. LED's usually won't burn out unless they are hit with over-voltage. You may suggest they check your charging voltage just to be sure you don't have a regulator that's a bit flaky. May be a poor solder joint at the module - the most likely culprit.

Old 09-18-2007 | 12:20 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Should be an easy repair - remove console, disconnect plug from module, remove 2 screws, replace module, reverse. Should take all of 30 minutes, if that. LED's usually won't burn out unless they are hit with over-voltage. You may suggest they check your charging voltage just to be sure you don't have a regulator that's a bit flaky. May be a poor solder joint at the module - the most likely culprit.
I keep an eye on the VM in the dash and it stays around 13.6v with no fluctuations that I've seen. Had there been some voltage spikes I think other bulbs would've shown some effects, especially the H4 headlight, which typically is sensitive to voltage changes.

I noticed yesterday the oil-pressure idiot light also doesn't work most of the time. When I turn on the ignition (no start) it sometimes flickers on, then off, when it should stay on with no oil pressure. The neutral and turn-signal lights work normally.

I haven't looked at it yet, but the manual says the module is held on with "paddles" attached to the outer lens, not screws (Parts Manual, page 136). You move the four paddles to release the module from the lens. It also says you must remove the tach for access to that area, but I'll bet a long screwdriver will do it. I may remove the fairing cap and play around with the connector, etc., before hassling with the dealer. Having them work on my bike is always a source for concern.

Old 10-18-2007 | 03:37 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

The average life span of an LED is approximately 100,000 power on hours. Thats a little over 11 years!

Quick Reply: High-beam LED out