Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some electrical help....(Digtal Dakota Gauge on Road King Classic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM
jskwarek
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some electrical help....(Digtal Dakota Gauge on Road King Classic)

I put a Dakota Digital MCV-7000 gauge on my Road King Classic today LINK HERE, in preparation for swapping out my tank to a streched Road Glide tank. I will post pics later of the install.

Non the less what I am posting for is I have two questions.

#1 - In the instructions they were saying that the tach wire was a Pink wire, but when I studied the wiring diagram and opened the main harness I found a blue with orange strip wire that is also marked as tach. I just want to know if this is ok to you. I never did track down the pink as this is easier to get to and I am tapping a bunch of other stuff in the same area.

#2 - There is supposedly a Black with Yellow stripe wire, but I can't find it in any harness nor in the diagram. This wire is for the "ENGINE" light. Does any one know where this wire is at.

I am also going to post this in the electric forum, but I figure I would get more traffic here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need some electrical help....(Digtal Dakota Gauge on Road King Classic)

I have added tachs to RK's and there is (or at least in me case(s)) a loose pink lead under the tank dash. I am assuming you have pulled the dash and looked underneath it... right?

As I recall, the pink lead already has a connector on it.... perhaps a butt connector?

Sorry, I dunno about the yellow / black.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:16 AM
jskwarek
Road Master
Default RE: Need some electrical help....(Digtal Dakota Gauge on Road King Classic)

ORIGINAL: PhilM

I have added tachs to RK's and there is (or at least in me case(s)) a loose pink lead under the tank dash. I am assuming you have pulled the dash and looked underneath it... right?

As I recall, the pink lead already has a connector on it.... perhaps a butt connector?

Sorry, I dunno about the yellow / black.
Phil,
Yea I know what you are talking about and have seen many other people refer to this wire when searching, but the position #3 on my speedo connector has a plug in it. I don't have this pink wire. If I look at the wiring diagram there is a pink Tach wire down at the ECM but then it turns into a Blue with Orange strip wire in the main harness. My problem is that these diagrams don't really tell you which harness is which on the bike so I am having to make some educated guess and assumtions. I guess I can run the tach wire all the way down to the ECM and grab the signal there as this is also where I am grabbing the Speed Signal, but I am already grabbing a bunch of other stuff in the main harness so I was wondering about the Blue w/ Orange.

Jeff

Does any one know of a good detailed wiring diagram other then the HD Tech books?

Jeff

Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 AM
jskwarek
Road Master

For the record....

I have talked to the guys at Dakota Digital, and 04 and up Harleys do not have the "Engine" indicator wire since this information is sent across the data bus wire.

Just a heads up in case anyone else ever chases their tail trying to find it.

Jeff