Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide mods???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:49 AM
pe4me
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide mods???

Greetings, semi-new to the board and now seeking some info on the twin cam and other stuff. Sure I searched around but it seems there some vague answers, not what I am looking for maybe I just want to know I am on the right track.
Ordered the Street Glide vivid black- 18500 (with tax, OTD)
performance: I want to get the most bang for my buck until I put a big bore kit a few years down the road so I am doing SE-race tuner/SE2 slip-ons and SE air clearner.
Remap vs race tuner- I have heard various opinions with all saying you are rolling the dice with just the download(remap) especially for 06
SEII- All I care is that I can hear the radio- this is what I have heard...
Air cleaner- K&N better than SE?

Chroming out stuff with a service manual...can it be done with a lift and basic knowledge?
Front end too much to mess with or should I take my time and do it myself?
Lowering the front end? this would be done with the front work...obviously, fork oil to the correct level and good to go?
Installing passing lamps...part #'s Anyone? SE electra glide front end? this is tricky but with the front end off this should be able to be done?
Switches i am leaving to the dealer for warranty issues should they arise.

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences...

Old 11-29-2005, 06:30 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Street glide mods???

ORIGINAL: pe4me

performance: I want to get the most bang for my buck until I put a big bore kit a few years down the road so I am doing SE-race tuner/SE2 slip-ons and SE air clearner.
Remap vs race tuner- I have heard various opinions with all saying you are rolling the dice with just the download(remap) especially for 06
SEII- All I care is that I can hear the radio- this is what I have heard...
Air cleaner- K&N better than SE?

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences...
Sounds good, yes K&N usually is the best filter out there. REMAP from HD= GARBAGE..save your money. SE Slip-ons sound great and I could hear my radio @ 80mph with no problem.

Sorry can't help on the rest, but you should be able to do all the installs yourself if your mechanically inclined and have the manual.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You are not rolling the dice with the download.....You're pissing your money down the drain. You are on the right track with the Race Tuner, pipes and air cleaner.

Lowering the front end is a little difficult (mine is lowered 1 1/4"). I'd take it to the dealer and have them do it all at the same time.

I wouldn't put the passing lamps on a street glide. In my opinion it ruins the lines (that's why they left them off). Of course that's just my opinion.

Sears has a nice lift that will fit your harley real good. It's on sale now (just don't get the yellow one). You can do alot of the work yourself. Get the Genuine Harley Manuel when you get your bike, it is very helpful and will save you money in the long run.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 11-30-2005, 12:09 AM
pe4me
Novice

At 29 the passing lamps should not even be considered but I think it is a great look- that is the beauty of the HD. I thought about stripping a classic but $ for $ it just didnt make sense in the end.
labor quotes
chrome/black out front end: 293$
chrome switch housing: 130$ (going this route for warranty purposes)
Race tuner and 2 dyno runs: 162$ (a must, I would like to check that out...)
once again your time is appreciated...

Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 AM
pe4me
Novice

Terry- your bike is tight.
How much does lowering affect turning (lean in)??
At 6'2", I am thinking of doing it to balance it out- SG is lowered in back with stock height up front??? why wouldnt HD lower the thing and be done? Curious if there is a method to there madness (handling wise) or is this just a $ saver in the end...

Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the Sreet Glide was already lower than the other touring machines. Was I misinformed?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I ride my roadglide like a bat outta hell and have never dragged anything. I used Progressive Springs in the front and went down 1 1/4". Handles like a damn slot car on the curves. The harley low provile shocks on the street glide only lower it 3/4". Makes a difference but didn't like the ride. Sold my shocks on Ebay and put a 1 1/4" lowering kit (brackets) on the back. You use your stock shocks (not lowered shocks but the standard stock shock) and retain the stock ride. Who knows why Harley didn't lower the front end. Why didn't they put the 6 speed in the baggers who could really use it?

Let us know how you like your glide after the dyno tune. You should be one happy camper.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I scraped both sides the first day I brought it home, won't be going any lower Usually with lowered bikes it slows the turn in and usually makes it a little harder..How much I don't know.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM
pe4me
Novice

I was under the impression the rear is lowered and the front is the same as the others so it actually sits up...this was from the dealer...

Scapage is never good.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post picture when your bike is done. My bike will be done just in time for the Easyrider Show on Jan 14 in Sacramento. I planning on entering my bike in that show. Gook luck on you mods.

Quick Reply: Street glide mods???