Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock your saddlebags!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM
tkjones2
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lock your saddlebags!!!!!

Alex , that bytes big time man, guess ill be doing the allen bolt wingnut thing on mines as well, here in BFE not to much trobule, never heard of it out here but travling would be another story, hope they find and prosocute bro, or like you said hope Karma goes full circle.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Happy_dan
Advanced

Sorry to hear this. These stories really **** me off. What happened to respect? We don't have much of that around here in NH but I always worry. Around here if you get caught, you likely will get shot. Time to go to Home Depot and pick up some stuff.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Superglide 04
Tourer

Sorry about your bags. It's got me in a panic about mine. Anyone know of a way to lock the lid on Road King Custom?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Superglide 04

Sorry about your bags. It's got me in a panic about mine. Anyone know of a way to lock the lid on Road King Custom?
Yes, Buy the 65.00 lock kit from harley.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner
Yes, Buy the 65.00 lock kit from harley.
Can't find it, do you have a part number?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

Don't know if you have got replacements yet, but there is a new trike take-off set on ebay in Black Pearl. Sorry it happened. I know how you feel about someone screwig with the bike. Had my Jeep gone through and the interior stolen. Makes you feel very violated.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
AustinRider
Cruiser
Default RE: Lock your saddlebags!!!!! I HATE THIEVES!

I HATE THIEVES!

I know the rest of you do also.

I hate to hear about shi$$ like this happening to a fellow rider.

I personally like the quick release pins on my saddlebags but they do have drawbacks. I stripped my bike down last week to clean her real good (took off bags, rack, seat and side covers). That evening I ran to the store to pick up a couple of six packs of beer. I was almost home when the starboard bag just popped right off the bike and skidded down the street to a stop. I could of sworn I had the pins locked in but obviously I was mistaken.

It could have been much worse. The bag could of come off when I was traveling seventy on the highway. Instead it came off when I wasputtering up a little hill towards a stop sign and only going about thirty or so. Funny thing - not a single beer was broken!

A theft proof mechanism of course would have prevented this. There would have been no mistaking whether or not they were mounted securely.

I've been thinking that I was secure by locking my port bag when I went into a store. I keep a few hundred dollars worth of things in there including riding googles, a helment and a radar detector. The Road Tech radar detector just pops off and goes in the bag when I'm at the store or sometimes it goes in my hip pocket.

Now I know how easy it is to steal these bags. Its good to know, but not good that it happened to another rider. Of course one of my bags is less likely to be attractive to thieves now because it has a couple of scuff marks on it. Maybe instead of touching it up I'll just let it be andmy bike willbe less likely to be a target for thieves...

Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Default RE: Lock your saddlebags!!!!! I HATE THIEVES!

Just as a follow up, yup got my new bags in less than 3 weeks. The only thing i haven't replaced are the lighted latches, which I've just been lazy to drill the holes thru.

I went with the u-type speed nut, along with an allen head screw. I had switched out both front and back and then i added the color matched filler panel that goes between the saddle bag and fender which effectively blocks the rear quick release. So I've kept it there.

the front has the allen bolt which is long and actually blocks the hanger bolt that attaches to the fender strut. Hey it should be difficult enough that unless they have a ton of time they will go somewhere else.... I hope [8D]

Old 10-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Billiam92407
Tourer

Glide... Great idea... Allen bolts on the mounting brackets.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Scootr
Road Master

Some people just suck! It sure would be fun to catch them in the act

Quick Reply: Lock your saddlebags!!!!!