Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock your saddlebags!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts
Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts
Default RE: Lock your saddlebags!!!!!

sorry about the first dead link...this was for a road king classic leather bags..but the touring hard bag quick clips should be very similar

Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did you get them stolen from? I see you in Tujunga...

Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
djamann
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man - I'm glad I moved out of CA. You are the 2nd or 3rd person I've seen here that it happened to in CA. I feel for ya and I hope they catch the guy who ripped you off. Lots of good posts here on how to slow the b@stards down, but they also slow me down from removing them when cleaning or doing service. I've got to find a happy medium between security & convienience

Old 09-13-2007, 09:12 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey im-

Neither of your links work for me...and I would be very interested to figure out how to better secure my RKC bags. Funny, I mentioned this to the dealer when I was looking for a bike...he said somebody would really have to have some ***** to mess with your bike...I figured for $500+ bags and 30 seconds, why wouldn't somebody try?

Sorry to hear someone lost their bags...world is full of turds...

Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bags. Nothing worse than finding out someone was messing with your bike. Keep an eye on e-bay to see if the thief puts them up for sale.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
gpainter
Intermediate

I haven't tried it, but couldn't you slide a wood or metal dowell through the ring-like handles on the twist locks inside the saddlebag? You'd need to have it just the right length, then slide it into one side first from the middle, then slide it back the other way into the other one. That would prevent the ring locks from being turned from the outside. You'd need to have a way to clamp the dowell in place so it didn't slide out. Someone may even have a better idea, but this requires no change to the bag's hardware.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 PM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Where did you get them stolen from? I see you in Tujunga...

Of all places the Bob's Big Boy in Burbank!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 PM
RenoRainesRenegade
Cruiser

There was a thread on this exact subject earlier this year. After reading it, I ditchedthe front hardware in each of my saddlebags and replaced them with bolts, washers, and nuts. They are difficult to get to, and so far, so good.
Someone said that besides stealing them to resell, the a-holes steal them and make speaker enclosures out of them for their souped up Civics, etc. They don't have to paint them, they just steal ones that are close to the color of their cars!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gpainter

I haven't tried it, but couldn't you slide a wood or metal dowell through the ring-like handles on the twist locks inside the saddlebag? You'd need to have it just the right length, then slide it into one side first from the middle, then slide it back the other way into the other one. That would prevent the ring locks from being turned from the outside. You'd need to have a way to clamp the dowell in place so it didn't slide out. Someone may even have a better idea, but this requires no change to the bag's hardware.

apparently, that is not how they are stealing them. Read where they are just using a screwdriver of something to pop the pins off of the Zeus locks from the backside of the saddlebag. they don't even need to get into the bag. the carriage bolts with the rounded heads appear to be a way to maybe slow them down.

Quick Reply: Lock your saddlebags!!!!!