Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock your saddlebags!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM
kingtut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lock your saddlebags!!!!!

Bag theft is on the rise in the Ca. Bay Area. two weeks ago a co-worker of mine parked hit bike in his stall at his condo. ran upstairs to take a chit and when he came down the bags were gone...

Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: alexcue

while i can't be absolutely sure, it may have been my fault, but some creep ripped off my black pearl saddlebags with lighted latches tonite. I don't remember if they were locked or not, but as I've read before it may not have made a difference.

Be warned and be careful make sure you lockem' up. And don't make it any easier for them.

Anyone hazard a guess how much it's gonna run me to replace them and the matching locks?
I hate to say it, but that's when I wish I were more of a violent man.

That just sucks.

I know you take huge pride in that beautiful ride. Sorry to hear about this.

it just sucks.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully insurance will cover?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Oldhippie, you said it. I take alot of pride in my bike. I get alot of compliments on it. (too some, who don't understand, the bike is nothing special, but to me it is). I guess what i mean is I've made it my own, which in the end is special.

As a rule I don't let anyone touch my bike unless I've been asked or they are my riding brothers (and even they almost always ask first). So the feeling that someone touched my bike without my authorization is what really gets me pissed. No respect for another mans property.

I hope karma goes full circle!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

It is a pretty easy fix to secure your bags andonly costs about$10.00. Just take 1 of your quick release pins to Home Depot, Lowes or any hardware store and match up the diameter and length for a hex bolt (about 1-1/4 inch length). Then get a square nut and a wing nut to match the threads and acouple ofwide washers for each assembly. Take off the spring assembly and put it all together - hex bolt/washer/bracket/washer/square nut/washer/wing nut. With the wing nut on the end you still have a quick release to easily take your bags off when you want.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Guilty, I like the explanation of the order. My mind didn't comprehend the purpose of the square nut, but now it makes sense. Thanks

I was thinking along those lines, but your lock nut will hold the bolt in place, which hadn't dawned on me.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I don't understand why all these bags are getting ripped off. Unless it is like Corvette T tops where theives steal them and sell them. I mean, there is no other use for them. You don't see these types of bags on crotch rockets.

eBay may be the place they are winding up. I don't know of any other market for them, and I really doubt that other HD owners would steal one. The idea about someone getting your key and ripping the bike is something to think about. Those barrel locks can have a key made in about 5 minutes. A $100 tool will open them faster than your key, and the pattern sticks to use in a key machine and make a duplicate. Any well equipped locksmith would be able to do that, and if someone brought in a bag and said they lost the key, well, they would probably make one.

It is just a shame that there are so many a-holes in the world. I just flew to Tampa and back, and the a-holes of the world have made air travel now totally miserable instead of just annoying.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Sorry about your bags
At least the scum that took them didn't do any real damage to your scoot.I don't know how the courts in the states deal with thieves but down here the courts issue the scum with new break in tools so that they can get in & out faster and reduce the chances of getting caught again .That way the courts don't have to deal with them.

F##k I'm getting crabby and disalusioned in my old age.
GlennsGlide

Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my fatboy stolen and that sucked, now this. Sorry you lost your bags dude. Hope the person gets whats coming to them. Guess I am off to Home Depot this weekend.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

again sorry about your bags..went to lowes today and bought 1/4" - 20 U-type speed nuts (threaded) #139396 $1.04 each
and some 1/4" button head allen screws 2 x $1.59 and two 1/4 " lock washers..i removed the clips and pins..and used the 1/4" U-type speed nut (threaded) in place of the clip..re-used the washer..added the lock washer..and used the allen button head screw..
http://www.rageem.com.au/Products/Sp...uts.html..link to picture of what a threaded U-type speed nut looks like.
inside the bag you would see .... allen head button screw ....then lock washer ...then re-used washer...and this allen button head screw goes into threaded speed nut..

Quick Reply: Lock your saddlebags!!!!!