Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Suit (sizing help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Suit (sizing help)

The wife are ready to pull the trigger on rain gear. She is looking at the H-D packable rain suit (part # 97028-05). I am leaning that way as well (men's of course part # 97028-00) or the Nelson-Riggs VTL-700 rain suit.

The thing we are srtuggling with is the sizing. I wear an XL H-D Heritage jacket that fits a little loose so I can layer up as it gets colder out. Will an XL rain suit fit over my coat?

The same thing with the wife. She wearsa mediumH-D lightweight riding jacket (not sure on the part #) that allows her to wear a sweater or sweatshirt under it. What size do you recommend?

I know that with out trying it on it is hard to say, but we haven't found a local dealer that has these in stock. Just looking for opinions based on actual experience. BTW I know the old adage that "Opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one.) So lets hear them.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Default RE: Rain Suit (sizing help)

I use Frog Toggs - yes they don't have a Harley logo on them but they are light - comfortable - about $60.00 - fit great. I have used them for 4 years.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

you really have got to try the hd rain gear on. we have found a wide variance in sizing with them. in some of the rain gear, she can wear a small, while another style, she cant even get a large over her hips. (and they aint that big either!)

we ended up buying some rain gear from walmart on sale, paid less for 2 full suits than we would have one hd. sure they aren't quite as high speed, but they do keep us dry.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:10 PM
fdberry
3rd Gear

I am of the opinion to always go a size larger than you usually wear. That way it will accommodate extra clothing, leather jackets, chaps, etc. Nothing is more uncomfortable than constraining clothing and foul weather!|

Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

I have a large leather jacket and a xl rain jacket. I am also a size bigger on the pant's as well. fits over leathers or whatever else I may be wearing and I'm not swamped in it when just wearing the gear without extra stuff underneath.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

When you go to you Harley Store to buy your rain suit ask for some assistance and try on the rain suit with one of their leather jackets. That should give you the information on the size you might need. It will probably be a little big on you with out a jacket but it's better to be a little big so you can wear your leather jacket if needed.

Also some jackets are a little more breathable than others. Take that in some consideration as it can get a little warm in the summer with it on.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: texan321

I use Frog Toggs - yes they don't have a Harley logo on them but they are light - comfortable - about $60.00 - fit great. I have used them for 4 years.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/
Same here the wife and I use the road toad model and with a little shopping around I was able to find them for way less than retail.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure and have your gear on when trying on the rain gear and also sit on the bike so you'll know how it feels while riding. I have a one piece BMW rain suit that is great at keeping me totally dry, but it's a pain to put on and to take off. Also gets very hot during summer rains. I sometimes use my wife's Tour Master two piece rain gear, much easier to put on and to pull off.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

short legs and Harley rain gear do NOT mix - I do not know who the hell their model was but it must have had legs 12 feet long....

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the dealer and try them on. Rainsuits can vary from one style to the next. Take the time so you don't have a suit that won't fit and you are unhappy with.

Quick Reply: Rain Suit (sizing help)