Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for beginner bike... not for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Darryl88
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Advice for beginner bike... not for me

girlfriend bought a kawasaki vulcan 900 custom, very sweet ride, new this year, took it for a ride, road a sporty as well, it was way better than the sporty in every catagory. I love my harley, but this bike is very nice. And looks very cool

Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say Honda VLX, 583cc. Great bike for a beginner and will be able to keep up with you on most roads. I think she would outgrow the rebel after a few months.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
SteveM
Road Captain

Honda Rebel 250
Suzuki GZ250
Kawasaki Eliminator 250
Yamaha Virago 250

All very similar in size and style and all great starter bikes.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
ianchris1
Tourer

I think the Rebel or Suzuki might be the winner. Those things are cheap used! I should trade the RKC for one and lower the monthly payment... then I can go to the Honda forums and make fun of you guys. JK. I love you guys... and I wear fingerless gloves

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 AM
mikeyboy
6th Gear

First question.. did she take the safety course? 2nd? why not a Harley? My gf is five foot nuthin, just got her license June 3rd (safety course) I bought her an 05 Sportster low, put progressive shocks on the back, (lowered it another inch), she sits flat footed on it. Initially she was nervous because sporty's are a bit top heavy, but as I said to her, once you get used to it, you will not want to ride anything else. Through the next few weeks, as she was getting used to it, I asked her if she'd like to get rid of it and get a metric.. her reply..NOOO!! she loves it! and has logged more than 4000 miles. Another female friend, newly license last year started off with a Suzuli Savage, this year she traded up to a Suzuki boulavard, and is planning on trading that next year (or when funds permit) for a Harley, softail. She's 5'3". I would stress taking the safety course to anyone considering riding, once completed, he/she will be able to handle nearly any bike that they fit comfortably (flat foot) on.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
ianchris1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mikeyboy

First question.. did she take the safety course? 2nd? why not a Harley? My gf is five foot nuthin, just got her license June 3rd (safety course) I bought her an 05 Sportster low, put progressive shocks on the back, (lowered it another inch), she sits flat footed on it. Initially she was nervous because sporty's are a bit top heavy, but as I said to her, once you get used to it, you will not want to ride anything else. Through the next few weeks, as she was getting used to it, I asked her if she'd like to get rid of it and get a metric.. her reply..NOOO!! she loves it! and has logged more than 4000 miles. Another female friend, newly license last year started off with a Suzuli Savage, this year she traded up to a Suzuki boulavard, and is planning on trading that next year (or when funds permit) for a Harley, softail. She's 5'3". I would stress taking the safety course to anyone considering riding, once completed, he/she will be able to handle nearly any bike that they fit comfortably (flat foot) on.
No safety course yet, she will though. Harley is too heavy. She has bad knee problems and needs something pretty light. I had a Sporty, although it wasn't the low, and it was WAY too heavy for her. Probably needs something plastic.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM
BlueRoad
Novice

Well, if she takes an MSF course before riding, you might want to check out a Honda VTC750 shadow aero - it has a low seat height (25.4"). Get one used because she will drop it at least once. The bike has enough manageable power that she won't outgrow it in two months. But if she is getting on a bike with no training at all for the first time, you will want to get her on something smaller, because she will be spending time just learning the mechanics and dynamics of riding.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Lee n Tj
Advanced

Got my oldest daughter a Suzuki C-50. Good looking bike, good price, she loves it.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I bought my wife a Sportster 1200 Low. She ran threw a 6 foot chain link fence.

I then bought her a 250 Rebel. She loves it. After a couple of hundred mileson the rebel she is about ready to try the 1200L again.

You wont regret the Rebel in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Fishrdr
Cruiser

How about a Ridley automatic. Nice looking cruisers and no shifting.

Quick Reply: Advice for beginner bike... not for me