Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:07 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain
Default Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"

My neighbor just got out of the hospital after nearly being killed on his 07' Roadglide. He told me the following story: About 1 in the morning coming home from whatever. Following an 18 wheeler, he is in the right lane, truck in the left on a 4 lane stretch of a rural road. Driver puts on his right signal, starts to make a wide right turn from the left lane but for some reason bales out. About a 100 yards farther the driver apparantly finds the street he is looking for puts his turn signal back on then makes a quick right. About this time Sam had just decided to pass this guy on the right.

Sam said all of a sudden all he sees is trailer in front of him. He said it was only seconds but he had alot of time to think. This is what happened next: he applied 60/40 braking but realizes it wasn't enough so he lets off the front brake and applies full rear brake. He said as he was sliding he was smiling thinking about doing the terminator slide. As he starts to slide under the trailer everything was going fine til he saw the spare tire rack. Lights out. He then remembers waking up looking at the bottom of the trailer. He got up and laid into the driver and immediately fell back to the ground.

Result: 5 broken ribs, no road rash, contusion to his head, dislocated shoulder, $7000 damage to his bike, and a ticket for failure to control his speed. He said in hindsight he wishes he would have been more patient and should have had his helmet on.

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:26 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"

Man that sucks, and I'm glad to hear he survived....but, and there's always a but...passing a semi on the right is risky business...I've done it, so I'm not preaching..but after hearing that one, I aint doin it no-more. Who knows....maybe his story will save me someday. Hope he recovers fully.

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:36 AM
mechanic
Road Captain

Happy to hear that he survived. Wish him well & a speedy recovery. Any time i pass one of those rigs i'm really careful because i figure thier bigger than i am & i know i can see them but can they see me??
Patience is a virtue....

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:47 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain

Actually the driver saw him just he started his turn and stopped. Otherwise Sam said the trailer tires would have run over him. Another thing, the trooper told Sam is that when a person has on their turn signal regardless of where they are, that person has the right of way. I didn't know that. Not that it matters much if you are hurt or killed who was right or wrong except maybe to your wife and her new boyfriend spending all the lawsuit money. T.

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:52 AM
buttman
Road Master

If the trucker was making a right turn from the left lane, why wasn't he given the ticket? And how does a cop, who was not there at the time, know how fast he was going? I wouldn't think the skid mark wouldbe definitive in that situation.

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:57 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain

Again, the cop said that it doesn't matter where you are turning from as long as you have on your turn signal you have the right of way. Anybody want to try that one on a scooter? T.

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:01 AM
kpb46
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

Actually the driver saw him just he started his turn and stopped. Otherwise Sam said the trailer tires would have run over him. Another thing, the trooper told Sam is that when a person has on their turn signal regardless of where they are, that person has the right of way. I didn't know that. Not that it matters much if you are hurt or killed who was right or wrong except maybe to your wife and her new boyfriend spending all the lawsuit money. T.
Thats the way the "Blue hairs" drive in Fla. Once they have the turn signal on anything goes

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:21 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior

Glad Sam will surive

We need to call BS on that statement.

There must be a LO on this site thacan shed some light on that statement?

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:23 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

No helmet???? Sam is one VERY lucky dude!

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:03 AM
gwcrim
Tourer

In hindsight, a lot of dead people wish they'd had a helmet on.

Quick Reply: Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"