Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:16 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"

This is sad. A big truck has the right to sweep left and block that lane of traffic before making a right hand turn. Being that is was 1a.m., and considering he prolly never saw Sam, he just decided to start the turn from the left lane. With a turn signal on, that puts him in clear by law. [&:] That sucks.

Sure glad your friend lived through it bro!

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:41 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

Wow tough deal hope he recovers. I've started riding without my helmet and this thread is making me rethink that decision.

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:45 AM
IronLegend
Tourer

Because in all likelyhood the driver couldn't have made the right turn from the right hand lane as a car or motorcycle can. Generally, it is always better to use more of the roadway you are on than to try and use more of the roadway you are turning on to.This collision shows why alldrivers must exercise patience and common sense. Good to hear Sam is going to be ok, it could have been a lot worse.

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:52 AM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: NCCopBikeRider

Glad Sam will surive

We need to call BS on that statement.

There must be a LO on this site thacan shed some light on that statement?

Ride Em Carry Em
Retired LEO here. What frickin state was this in? "But officer, I had my turn signal on" I would have given the trucker a ticket also: Failure to keep right, Illegal turn, careless driving............ pick one. Sam should go to the PD and sign a complaint against the driver. And get a good M/C lawyer.

Old 09-11-2007 | 09:17 AM
Blues Guy
Cruiser

Glad your buddy is OK.

told Sam is that when a person has on their turn signal regardless of where they are, that person has the right of way
So in theory a vehicle traveling in the left lane of a 10 lane expressway can decide they need to make a right turn onto an exit, put the turn indicator on and Katie bar the door for anyone who happens to be beside/behind them. Common sense has to factor into this equation at some point.

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:59 PM
joe297
Tourer

A turn signal gives you the right of way?! I don't think that's the norm for most states. If you're the one making the turn (or lane change) you still have to yield to whomever is already in the lane. And that trucker shouldn't have been turning from the left lane anyway. Sounds like a newbie that didn't quite learn how to buttonhook.

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet
Again, the cop said that it doesn't matter where you are turning from as long as you have on your turn signal you have the right of way.

Old 09-11-2007 | 03:17 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

The only time I have seen a truck turn right out of the left lane was to prevent him from running up on the curb. Many trailers have extra turnsignal lights down the side and signs indicating "wide right turns".

But if he was turning right then changed his mind and did not clear the right lanes properly once he decided to turn, the truck driver bears some responsibility in the accident as well.

Old 09-11-2007 | 03:37 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

Gotta call BS on that signal comment myself. About a month ago I was heading home on a busy 3 lane limited-access haghway when aclown in a Priusin the far right right-turn-only lane decided he wanted to go straight so he fipped on his signal and proceeded to hit the right front corner of my cage. Then the metrosexual a$$phuk tried to blame it on ME simply because he had his signal on and I had to let him into my lane. Too bad that's not what the LEO said...

Old 09-11-2007 | 03:37 PM
jnetmac
Cruiser

I don't know what state this is in but the truck drive has to yield to whoever is in the right lane. He just cant turn a signal on and turn into a lane. Your friend needs to get a lawyer and I will guarantee it is over turned. His insurance company should be involved in this matter to.

Old 09-11-2007 | 03:47 PM
shadowrunner
Cruiser

Thank his lucky stars he came out alive, now has some time to look for next
bike. On trucks turning from left lanes is pretty common here in Oregon,
that's why most of them have the little signs on the back saying "wide-turns".

Quick Reply: Neighbor does the "Terminator Slide"