Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could Use Some Input...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Could Use Some Input...

If if were the valve seals, I'd think he'd have been having an oil consumption problem.

ORIGINAL: meyergsr

Take a look at the sparkplugs. I think some of the 05 TC had problems with faulty valve seals. This would cause poor running.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Could Use Some Input...

Thanks much for all the replies....I greatly appreciate it.

I was having thoughts in regards to the way the guy was quick to jump on the bandwagon for the whole "it's time to start looking at the engine" deal. I've got 30+ years under my belt in the auto service industry so I'm quite familiar with the workings of a combustion engine but I wasn't sure if a bike was really all that much harder on it's engine & drivetrain. I have already changed out the plugs & wires for the sake of the "process of elimination" and check them regularly; they always look good in regards to the burn pattern and coloring. Also the bike doesn't smoke and I have no problems with oil consumption.I will run a wet & dry compression test this weekend; other than making sure the cyclinders are within a proper balance with each other (i.e. comparable numbers) around what range should I be looking for in regards to the compression numbers? I'll also look into the cam chain tensioners and do a cylinder leak-down test if possible

In regards to the mounts; I've checked the front lower rubbermount and it has not separated but it might be getting to the point of being worn and allowing too much engine movement. In regards to replacing the mount has anyone had any experience with the Velva-Ride mounts or would the updated stock mount be suffice? Should I also consider replacing the twoengine stabilizersas well; do they go bad? Also, would the engine being out of alignment have any affect on anything other than the way the bike would track?

Thanks again,

Brian