Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil drip from primary

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:22 AM
rude king
|
Stage IV
Default oil drip from primary

New to forum hello to all. Have a 2005 rode king that has a slight drip coming from the bottom of primary, I thought it may have been the drain plug so I replaced the o ring and changed the lube, still have that agravating little drip. Any sugestions other than changing the primary gasket. All help would be appreciated it just turned over 5500 miles.

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:29 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: oil drip from primary

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you really should change/inspect the gasket, anything else is just a temporary fix...takin off the primary is no big deal..

Old 09-10-2007 | 08:45 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I just went through this and it was a worn shifter shaft seal. I'm told it is very common. If your drip is near the primary drain plug and drips down the jiffy stand, well it sounds like the shifter shaft seal. You won't be able to see it from the top, but if you can look under the bike between the primary and trans, you can see a little drip from the shaft. I borrowedmy daughters mirror and a strong flashlight to find the leak. My daughter is still mad.

If it is your shifter shaft, it is about $300 fix. If you don't mind little puddles in your garage, it is not critical to fix immediately.

Beary

Old 09-10-2007 | 08:50 AM
fdberry
3rd Gear

Had a similar problem with my '06 Ultra awhile back and come to find out that it was caused by a warped inspection plate. The dealer informed me that if you take the stock plate off and replace with an aftermarket plate (the Harley Flames plate is also considered aftermarket) they have a tendency to warp.

Old 09-10-2007 | 01:22 PM
Bigredone
Road Master

Had what I thought was a primary leak on a 03 RK. After inspection by the dealer, had to rebuild the transmission. Only good news was I had the extended warranty. Cost me $50 total.

Old 09-10-2007 | 02:17 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

You need to trace the leak.There are a few different areas that could be leaking.

Old 09-10-2007 | 05:06 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

New to forum hello to all. Have a 2005 rode king that has a slight drip coming from the bottom of primary, I thought it may have been the drain plug so I replaced the o ring and changed the lube, still have that agravating little drip. Any sugestions other than changing the primary gasket. All help would be appreciated it just turned over 5500 miles.
Rude King,

DITTO here on an '05 Ultra with 15,000 miles - the exact same slow oil drip that appears at the primary drain but is NOT from the plug/gasket.

I get about 3 drops of primary oil overnight.

Old 09-13-2007 | 07:55 AM
rude king
|
Stage IV

Thanks for all the info from everyone ! Have a new primary gasket to install this weekend looked under the bike and seems to be coming from gasket hopefully.

Old 09-13-2007 | 08:05 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

My 03 fxd developes similar leak. It leaves a couple drops on the floor after a ride and the drip comes from the primary drain plug area. I assumed it was shifter shaft seal. Used it as an opportunity to put on a chrome inner primary with new seals and bearings. Guess what - leak is still there. Looks like I'll be tearing into the trans this winter.

Old 09-13-2007 | 12:56 PM
Cruisin1966
Tourer

Starter jackshaft seal?????

Quick Reply: oil drip from primary