Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dillema, keep the HD or the Kawasaki

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:04 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dillema, keep the HD or the Kawasaki

This Spring I purchased an 07' Kawa Nomad. I thought I had a vibration that turned out to be in my head and was having problems with the knuckleheads at the Kawasaki dealership. I bought a new Ultra Classic thinking it would solve all my problems. I figured if I ever had a problem with my HD at least there are people that know how to work on them. This forum has made me wonder.

I ride and love both bikes, however the reality is I probably need to part with one. If I go by the info on the forums then the one to keep is a no brainer, the Kawasaki. On the Kawasaki forum for the most part all you ever hear is praise for their new Nomad. On the HD forum there is much more bichtin than praise. I worry that these 07' will carry a reputation like some of the Harleys from the old days, "stay away from those 07's". So far the ONLY problem I have had is the clatter and it keeps getting worse. I like the extras on the Harley better but the Kawasaki is a much more stable riding bike. Oh and by the way, no clatter and overheating problems. It scares me to death when I read posts about crankshaft problems and how MOCO replaced bearings with sleeves. Are these bikes really the piece of junk people say they are or is there a group of dumbasess out there ruining the resale value of all of our bikes because they are old and just need something to bicht about.

I fell partly for the Harley resale fantasy. I am really worried if the problems or perceived problems with the 07's keep mounting I will be able to sell my Kawa easier than my Harley. As it stands right now when I look in the paper and see Harleys for sale they stay there for weeks. The other brands don't stay as long. T.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Dillema, keep the HD or the Kawasaki

Why don't you just leave that Harley in my garage.

They must have really improved those Nomads, I know a couple guys that have them and they've had many problems. The Nomadused to be one of those bikes thatwasjust a short stop along the path the bike they really wanted.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Old and bichy, HD riders tend to have been around longer and know bikes a little better than most (notme though), so they tend to be more critical, just ask the same group about the problems with your other bike and you will get the same type of feedback, my guess.Keep both, if you really want to get rid of one I can find room in my garage. Get the IDS to cure the clatter.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Puzzled
Banned

If your getting rid of one "just because" than that is a tough decision. If your doing it for financial reasons than I'd send the one the nets me the most cash down the road.

Don't get caught up in the forum postings. Forums represent a small portion of the bikes out there. While they are a great source of information there is also a fair share of mis-information. Don't make your decision on your time spent reading.

An option is to send both bikes down the road and look into an 08 or wait for the 09's next July.

Reading posts like this make me glad I decided to keep my 01.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not decide for yourself, rather than let folks that have nothing better ta do than bitch decide for ya? I've got an '07 ah bought in November. Have a tad over 10k miles on it, an' zero problems. How many ya got on yers, an' what problems ya had?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Had a 04 Nomad and loved it. But now a machine with a heart and soul graces my backside, and life hasn’t been the same since. I have had many different kinds and makes of motorcycles, and still the most fun on a bike came from a 1984 Kenny Roberts RD 350. But the Street Glide outside my window, has given me more smiles per miles. The excitement begins when I thumb the starter. Drop her into gear, and hit the road. Sure the Nomad was smooth as glass, and would get you from point A to point B. But there is something missing. I love the clunk, the whine, the clatter, even the heat. And how did I go this long without a radio, lol. I guess the point I am trying to make is the fact that I feel that I am a part of the bike on the SG and on the Nomad I as only the rider. And the Harley dealer has free coffee, the Kawasaki had nothing. Above all else, ride what you want to ride. Have fun and be safe.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

24k on mine and zero defects. getting ready to do the IDS

Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you the same guy who wrote:

Just got back from a trip to Big Bend National park. I am here to say to say that the Harley Ultra Classic can be certified as a 800 pound dirt bike.

We took a road that the park ranger said was OK to travel. It was 13 miles of HELL. There was 2 Ultra Classics and a Road King trike. We both dumped our bikes in the sand. It was 120 degrees. Two guys in a pickup came up and helped us get out. It is too long of a story to relay.

Bottom line is, the Harleys got us out of the desert without overheating, shutting down, getting flat tires from all the sharp rocks and was able to get us through the road from hell without dumping more than once.

What I have to say to all the people whining about their 07' Harleys: RIDE UM!!!! If this thing can get me through the mess I was in I am not afraid to take it anywhere.

Yeah it made noise and it got hot but it made the trip through some grueling terrain. There was a time that I thought I wish I was on my Nomad because it is water cooled but it is so much more top heavy I would have never made it out of the desert on that thing. We would have been buzzard meal. Sorry my buddy's wife didn't take any pictures when we were stranded but I will try and post some other ones. T.
I like my 07' Ultra alot as well. I have a new Kawasaki Nomad in the shop that will be for sale when I get it out.
I've got news for all of the one way HD dumbasses out there. I have an 07 Ultra Classic and an 07 Nomad. If it wasn't for the stereo and the trunk, the Ultra would be gone. As far as losing money, with all the bad press that everyone is giving the 07's I am sure if and when I ever sell my Harley I am going to take it in the shorts big time. Everything he said about the Nomad is spot on. I believe it is a much better built bike than the HD.
Obviously you are a little confused...doubt we could be of much help. But if you want my opinion, the Ultra blows the Nomad away in every single respect.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

To each his own. To me the ultra wins hands down. Sell the metric. They build better crotch rockets than crusiers, IMHO.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell the Ultra and FO!

Quick Reply: Dillema, keep the HD or the Kawasaki