Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 ultra tour pack-quick release info

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005 | 10:34 PM
RyanMC1
|
6th Gear
Default 06 ultra tour pack-quick release info

I am looking into making the tour pack a quick release (via, docking kit, detachable two up, changing seat with quick detach screw, amplified antenna). The amp. ant. would not require switching. I would disconnect the cb antenna. While at the dealer ship they said i would also need to change license plate (can't use laydown type). A closer inspection i noticed i need to make the speaker wires a quick release and i would need a place to put the intercom connection. Is there room under the seat for all of those wires. They also stated that it would be difficult to take the pack on and off. I understand that it can be done. However I am looking for feed back as to: does the tour pack rattle (extra weight from speakers, how long does it take to switch over, does it look clean with the pack removed how difficult is it to complete the instillation. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2005 | 09:39 AM
DensFLH
Cruiser
Default RE: 06 ultra tour pack-quick release info

Someone just posted a lot of info under "Removeable Tour Pak", including part numbers and any problems they had when they changed.

Old 11-28-2005 | 10:27 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Not sure you are getting good info about the lay down liscence plate. As you can see from my picture it is possible to use a laydown plate holder, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure it is needed when you instal the docking hardware.
The tour pac doesn't rattle, it takes about twenty minutes to change, the wires go under the seat.
Good Luck!

Old 11-28-2005 | 12:22 PM
RyanMC1
|
6th Gear

Thank you for the info/reply. Your bike looks great. I have the 06 ultra cobalt blue and silver. I want to make it look lean like that and then put all the comforts on when the wife wants to ride. Great color.

Old 11-28-2005 | 12:54 PM
magnoliarunner
Cruiser

RyanMC1,

Check out the Post that says, Taking The Dress Off The Dresser. I think his name is Ultrageezerglide. It shows part numbers and what all he did to his. His is the white bike.

magnoliarunner

Old 11-28-2005 | 01:34 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Taking the tour pac off is not that hard. As others have said, see the thread by UltrageezerGlide about taking the dress off of the dresser. He has all the infor you will need to do the job, and if you get stuck, he will helpe you any way he can. He is a great guy.

You will have to have a laydown license plate bracket or some other bracket to make this work.

My EG Classic without tour pac.

The racks I made so I can hang the tour packs on the wall out of the way.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-29-2005 | 05:34 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member

When I made the tour pak on my 99 Electra Glide detachable, I originally kept the stock license plate bracket. It looked awful because of the tour pak mounting tabs on the top so I machined them off. Still didn't look right so I got a Road King license plate bracket. Problem solved. And, a lay down bracket WILL work. (The HD catalog says that my tag frame won't fit with a lay down bracket. Bull Chit. Fits fine.)

BTW Bill - great job on the wall mounting.

Old 11-30-2005 | 12:07 AM
RyanMC1
|
6th Gear

Thanks for the info. Going to order parts on-line this week. When I get a picture from the wife I will post it. Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2005 | 01:24 PM
SaBiGe
Advanced

The probelm is everyone is talking about bikes other than the 06 Ultra. I have an 06 ultra and the service folks at the local HD shop said the docing harware is not available for the 06 yet and that doing the job with the wrong parts (i.e. 05 parts) would void the warrenty. Even just changing the seat poistion on the 06 requirs a shop visit (or so the service techs say)