Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAIN-X ON MY WINDSHIELD - DID I DESTROY IT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RAIN-X ON MY WINDSHIELD - DID I DESTROY IT?

No sense in callin' 'em. They'll tell you that ya shoulda read the instructions, blahblahblah - rather than admit that that info should be in large block letters!!. Like I said - you've now got a chemical reaction in place that will toast the windshield, so ya might as well start shoppin'.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 PM
PNL052469
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you my friend. Not what I wanted to hear. Will still call in the morning wishing for a miracle. Will also take your advice and start looking. Can't thank you enough for the help.

Pete

Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master

I used the "Glass Treatment Wipes" on mine about a month ago. I have not seen any reaction so far. The package says not to use it unless approved by plastic manufacter. I did not think that it did a dagumn anyway so I chunked it earlier today.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master

Sounds like a good reason to try a Clearview to me.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:05 AM
0204665J
Tourer

I would thing it would depend on the manufacturer and what is is made of. . I know on my Clearview they are ok with using Rain-X. PS:They also say it is ok to use pledge for scratches on them as well. I know many use Clearview on this forum.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Smitty0128
Road Master

if you used regular rain-X you just FUBAR'd it . its only a matter of time before the cloudy starts fading into it until you can no longer see thru it. i rode with a guy ona 06 that looked like his shield was 20 years old and faded from sun damage and cloudy. I asked him whats up and he said "i tried that rainx **** about a year ago. this was the original factory windshield!" it was on an 06 flh

only hot or warm water and mild soap for me.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

can you still see out of it? yes dont sweat it, if you cant, Doh! lesson learned. no sense in worrying about it. just wash it with soap and water just as you would your car. it will come off, other wise you wouldnt have to buy that big bottle right?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tex is right,,,,,,it's toast man

Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

Might be too late, but if you could get your hands on the MSDS sheet for Rain-X, you might find another chemical/ procedure thatis suggestedfor neutralizing the chemical reaction.

I used Plastix on my truck headlight coversthis weekend, $8.00, and it really cleared them up.That product is for plastics (specificallyincludes motorcycle windshields), it might not hurt to geta bottleand go over the windshield before the reaction goes too far. Just a suggestion, don't know how valid.

Have used the Permatex version on my lights before (I have a Dodge Ram and the whole light assembly has to be replaced if you want to replace the lenses @ $250 a pop, I'm all about saving money and going the cheaper more reasonable route!). That had different grades of fineemory cloth you use to buff out the film/ scratches, it was much more of a pain in the rear than the Plastix.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 AM
bezoar
Tourer

An echo of everybody else. I remember a particularly angry response from rain-X after someone wrote to Easy Rider mag over 20 years ago complaining about how rain-X screwed up their windshield. They patently denied this problem and got pretty nasty about it. Seems anyone who protests to such a degree MUST be guilty as charged. Unfortunately the windshield is done for. Rain-X for GLASS only and even there it's effectiveness is suspect at best. I can't imagine how this keeps being a problem. By now this info should be universally understood.

Quick Reply: RAIN-X ON MY WINDSHIELD - DID I DESTROY IT?