Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
sturminator89
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Bar Question

I recently purchased an 07 Road King Classic. Love the bike, but am having a lot of shoulder pain while riding. I never had this problem while riding my Heritage Softail. I feel certain it is the bar position as I feel I am leaning forward. Would like to install some ape hangers on the bike to solve this problem. Question is, 14" or 16"? Any help/experience here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Road King Bar Question

Sturminator...I see that this was your first post here on the forum...and Welcome. There is a search function at the top of each page that you'll learn to use quite a bit becase there have been quite a few threads regarding the RK bars on this site...just need to find them.I switched my stock bars out to Wild 1 Chubbys(not apes) and the company makes some good looking apes. If you're interested Google the Wild 1 web site and/or call one of their technicians and ask away. They were real good about pointing me in the right direction.

PS: The admins will ask you to go to the New Member page and introduce yourself to the rest of the forum.

Ride safe.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:09 PM
nobody
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with whiskers,I have an 07 FLHRC,and found the stock bars made me lean too far forward and gave me pain in my lower back.I went with the Chubby wild 1's but not apes,these are made specifically for the Roadkings.But everone is different in their shape and size and what they want.Do the search function and you will find a mile of reading to keep you occupied for quite a while,and will probably make you even more confused.The great thing about this site is that everyone has an opinion,you just need to find the one that suits you

nobody

Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been posting about using WideGlide bars on RoadGlides for almost 2yrs now. I've been using them much longer.

What I have not said too often was that the reason I tried them on mine was beacause a buddy put some on his RK and I road it after he did. The next day, I bought a set for my RG.

All the stock wiring and cables fit. All ya need is the bars. It's the best $50 you;ll spend.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have apes on my bike. They are 18" from www.LAChoppers.com . I love the bars. I had the same back pain you refer to. I could have gone with chubby non-ape bars, but I have always liked the look of apes. I am 6'1" and my grips are right at my shoulder. They are my favorite addition to my bike. But, apes can be an expense. You will need new cables and to extend your wiring. It seems like an easy enough job to do it yourself, but I was unsure about it, at the time. I paid an Independent shop to put them on. For everything, it cost me $800. If I was to do it all over again, I would do it myself, and save nearly half the cost. Since the time I had them put on, I have become pretty sure of what my abilities are, and I could do it myself, I am sure. But, it is done, and I am very happy. If you get a chance, hang out at a dealer or bike night, and find someone with apes. Ask them to sit on their bike, most will not mind (I don't). Just make sure it is a touring model, since the ST and Dyna's sit you differently. But, in answer to your post, depending on your height, I would go as high as what is legal. Otherwise, I will bet, you will have wished you went taller from the beginning.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the boards Sturminator. I went with the RK Custom bars. They are more of a beach bar with less rise and more pullback. They are cheap and don't require any new cables or brake lines. You might go to a dealer and sit on a few different bikes to try the bars. Of course your seat will make a difference here, too. I have a Sundowner Solo. The seat and different bars are the single(or double) thing that made my RK a motorcycle that really fit me. They are always available on E-bay for not a lot of money. I can see myself going to the Wild One Chubby bars in the future when I am looking to spend some money on my bike and can't really find anything else that day. Go to the Wild One site and they have a really neat display of the difference from stock to their offerings. You can really see how it changes the bike. PS. I just noticed that this is my 100th post. A lot for me, but little compared to many others here. This is a great board.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have WildChubby mini-apes (12.5") and they're working just fine.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:30 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeap I had the same problem. 12.5" Wild 1's did it for me also.