Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, Will send out on 9/14/07

ORIGINAL: pittguy

For alittle over 200 bucks and some of your time you could put all this to an end, no matter which way you may feel.Its just not worth the hassle.
Pittguy, are you employed by the MOCO? Just kidding, but I understand where you are coming from. I just think its time for us owners to stop bending over, making it easy for the MOCO to keep screwing with us. There have been certain issues (FIXES) over the years that should have been remedied by the factory. But you have a core of owners who rather be catchers than pitchers, if you catch my drift, willing to spend their hard earned cash to fix a poor design or two on their Harleys. The MOCO knows this and takes advantage of us to the MAX.

The way I see it, there is no way owners should be adding the IDS system or buying fuel management systems to fix the heat issues. Nor should early TC88 customers have to install CAM kits to fix that initial problem. H-D needs to be held accountable, but that will never happen, when owners dig deep into their pockets to fix the problems rather than let H-D step up tot he plate....And the MOCO knows it.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:23 PM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it! They had to order special tools from H-D! I would certainly hope they have a torque wrench and a socket set! If you could see my hodge podge mess of tools you'd have to laugh. This install took me about 2 1/2hours, 1/2 hour went to clean under the rear fender, and clean and wax the rear rim.
I pulled the Farmall M out of the barn and hung the bike from a beam with a chainfall. Also, you do not need a press. Put the sprocket in the oven at 200 degrees, put the bearing in the freezer, go out and remove the rear wheel. Go back in and get the bearing and sprocket and the bearing literally will fall into place. It surprised me how easily it went in!
The kit appears very well thought out, I just wish I could explain how it masks/deletes that blasted rattle! I rode almost 400 miles on Sunday and just didn't want to stop. The bike can now be called a Harley without any embarrasment! By the way guys, I never thought about it before Sunday but how many of you can hit 6 states in less than 400 miles? Md., De.,NJ, Pa.,Va. and WV. That's what I get for living in a little state! Someday I'll make it all the way west to Ohio!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: streetglide007
By the way guys, I never thought about it before Sunday but how many of you can hit 6 states in less than 400 miles? Md., De.,NJ, Pa.,Va. and WV. That's what I get for living in a little state! Someday I'll make it all the way west to Ohio!
Yeah I have done 5 of those 6 in around that many miles a few times. Never included NJ in the mix. BTW which little state do you hail from???

Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
acedantinne
Tourer

Did you know you can replace the clutch on a Farmall M through the belly pan. but not the Super M?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 PM
acedantinne
Tourer

My guess is WV.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
07roadie
Advanced

I never thought about it before Sunday but how many of you can hit 6 states in less than 400 miles? Md., De.,NJ, Pa.,Va. and WV. That's what I get for living in a little state! Someday I'll make it all the way west to Ohio!
Ohhh yea, I can ride alittle over 200 miles and stand in 4 states at the same time, or stand in two andpee on the other two! I think you might get arrested on the later!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to show my stupidity here. What is an IDS?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FLHDRIVER,not tied to HD in any way other than they know who I am.I agreewith what youre saying but with the noise issue,things got alittle complicated.In the past yr esp, HD has made major changes to their bikes and this is from a company that took yrs to redesign things.I think some of these changes worked great butalso showed need of more improvement.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rick51

I'm going to show my stupidity here. What is an IDS?
Isolated Drive System

It is standard on the 08 touring line. Do a search and there is a thread with pics I believe. It is the remedy for the clatter found in some of the 07 bikes.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll be softer on the poor, poor MOCO. Sell the IDS kit to any '07 owner with a legitimate noise complaint at cost. Ship it to the dealer of the customers choice with their regular stock order. Itwould make the MOCO look good, for trying to help customers with a noise (remember, not mechanical) complaint. The customer could then pay the dealer, an independant or install him/herself. Sure it should be free, but since it's a NOISE complaint, it would at least look good and maybe it's more realistic.
Now, how I really feel! I think the existing compensator is most of, if not all of the problem. If you think about it, wouldn't it make sense to fix the defective part rather than design and build a new one (IDS)? Or would that be admitting to defective engineering and the associated cost of fixing said engineering? I may be wrong, just a thought!
I must agree with the sell-it-at-cost principle, but who's to say that's not what's happening now? The Moco has few avenues leading them away from this clatter issue. If they bite the bullet and provide the part and labor free, they're out a huge chunk of money on a "problem" that doesn't involve a failure or safety issue. Legally they are safe because of these two factors, IMO as a non-lawyer. Because of this, a class-action lawsuit seems untenable and a rather absurd concept. OTOH, if they announce they're providing the part at cost with no labor they're tacetly admitting there is a problem, which invites mechanical novices attempting to install it and potentially screwing up a bike still in warranty, thereby opening up another can of worms for warranty claims and/or more disgruntled owners. The IDS fixes the clatter problems, so they're installing them on all '08 FLH's while upping the MSRP to cover their cost.

Who knows, maybe the ~$175 they're getting for each unit will only cover their costs for R&D and materials, considering most '07 owners will likely not even hear about IDS, much less opt for it, and IDS doesn't fit other year models because of the 66T pulley. Thus, we're talking low volume, and that raises the break-even point. All this said, I really don't think IDS is selling at cost, but who knows what cost really is?

Quick Reply: IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007