Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:52 PM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, Will send out on 9/14/07

I'll be softer on the poor, poor MOCO. Sell the IDS kit to any '07 owner with a legitimate noise complaint at cost. Ship it to the dealer of the customers choice with their regular stock order. Itwould make the MOCO look good, for trying to help customers with a noise (remember, not mechanical) complaint. The customer could then pay the dealer, an independant or install him/herself. Sure it should be free, but since it's a NOISE complaint, it would at least look good and maybe it's more realistic.
Now, how I really feel! I think the existing compensator is most of, if not all of the problem. If you think about it, wouldn't it make sense to fix the defective part rather than design and build a new one (IDS)? Or would that be admitting to defective engineering and the associated cost of fixing said engineering? I may be wrong, just a thought!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

... the transmission problem in the 07's appears to me to be more of a recall issue than a optional add-on.
Not to say that a small percentage of a small percentage of '07 purchasers haven't had transmission problems, but the bulk of what's been talked about to no end is not a transmission problem. If the IDS "cured" or "fixed" it, something added to the rear wheel, there's no way it could be a problem with the tranny.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
gandy dancer
Cruiser

Count me in---this 2007 FLHTC is my 10th HD in over 40 years of riding--I have never had a scoot that sounds like this one---read last night that HD sales are down for 2007--maybe this will get their attention-----fix the bikes or lose more customers---that simple

Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrsr71

I wish I was a lawyer (not really) as I would start a class-action law suit against the MOCO for these ’07 issues.

Any lawyers with a ’07 on the Forum?
And for what would your class be suing ? Have you suffered any loss or harm? Has the bike failed you or you just don't like the noise? I think you'll find you have no basis for a class action. Just spend another $200 to make it quieter and enjoy riding it.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 PM
monkish
Road Master

[/quote]

I am no English teacher and am not pointing these changes out as dig at you but it may help you to be correct. There may be other things that need to be proofread before sending it to MOCO. I only say this as a well written letter will garner better recption than a poorly written one. *not to say this is poor. again I am not digging at you at all* I am simply trying to help you with your cause.

[/quote]

Thanks, planned on it but was late for dinner arrangements. I just wanted to get it on here to get a feel if I even needed to send it. Trust me, I am aware of my spelling and grammer issues. lol

Thanks

Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pittguy

For alittle over 200 bucks and some of your time you could put all this to an end, no matter which way you may feel.Its just not worth the hassle.
I have the IDS ordered as stated in the last few paragraphs of my letter. Even if I don't send the letter I already feel relieved of the dissapointment in the moco. Sometimes it is better to put it in words than freak out on the dealer.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:40 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: WindowMan

You should edit your private info out of this one online!
Not sure why but I did. Won't do much good as simcom has it on his.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

Bigreef, I don't have your problem as I have a 2000. While my bike has it's own issues, as does every make and model, the transmission problem in the 07's appears to me to be more of a recall issue than a optional add-on. If the IDS is required to solve the problem, and has been made a part of the 08's (I may be wrong on this, but thought the 08's came with it installed), then the MOCO should be paying to take care of the 07's. Unfortunately, most corporations aren't swayed by individuals, and the mighty dollar tends to take precedence over doing what's right. Class action lawsuits don't usually do much either for the individual, only for the legal firm filing the suit. And, since the MOCO's already sold all of their 07's, they have nothing to lose by doing nothing to help you out. Only when they have a string of problems like this that cause their sales to begin failing significantly will they consider "doing the right thing" again. I wish you luck.

Tater
Well, I whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. I just got a brand new 56" Panasonic TV to replace mine thanks to a class-action suit. The TV I had was burning out $300 lamps at an alarming rate. Enough people complained that a law firm got involved and Panasonic agreed to replace all of the sets at no charge to the owners.

ORIGINAL: bigreef

I am sending this to MOCO........
Sorry you are unhappy with your bike. I respectfully submit to you:

I'm no lawyer, but I honestly don't think the letter will do any good. First off, are any of these 'noisy' transmissions/bikes actually failing? If the problem is simply noise, why should/would the company take action? Unless the transmissions/bikes fail at an abnormally high rate as compared to previous years/models, the company is not really required to do anything, nor are they likely to issue a recall or respond to a class action lawsuit. A noisy transmission/bike is not causing the owner any financial hardship or loss of any type.

Besides that, you are writing a letter voicing your displeasure but you never ask for a resolution. The letter never states what you are asking the company to do. Pay for the kit? A new bike? You need to tell them what you expect as a resolution, otherwise what's the point of the letter?

Lastly, sorry to nit pick, who are you quoting when you say "and I quote"? You should delete the "and I quote" part of the letter.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice letter you wrote. You will eventually get a letter from the MOCO.
It will be a B S letter as they just plain don't give a F**** about you me or anybody else after bike is sold.
With the myriad of problems that are showing up on 07's and eventually there will be more on the 08's just a matter of time.
You would think the people here that are having problems would band together and NOT buy anything from any HD dealer and get friends to assist in a boycott. But no they just whine from time to time. And that is fine it is their perogative.
You should sell the noisy sob back to the dealer at loss if need be, trade backwards to something older.
Spend the necessary money to spruce it up.
Let HD and dealers sit on these new pieces of crap.
How many goodies could you install on your older bike to make it look and run like new for $20k???
You could have a rebuilt engine, tranny, wheels, paint job for less.
You can address your letter to the CEO or the customer service boss.
her name is
Lori Oelhafen
% Harley Davidson
3700 west Juneau ave
Milwuakee, Wi.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 AM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This noise was known by HD,but finding the source and hopefully a fix took time.A lot of hrs I believe went into this.The TC is a magician at transmitting noises somewhere else.This was the case here.All along it had to stay within guidelines they and the goverment have set.During this time many owners went to extremes,brought other agencys in on this.By the time HD found a cure,they had a real mess on their hands.They had to release a fix,yet not publicly say so.Getting this kit from the discounters is the best option along w/installing it yourself.For those of you that dont feel comfortable,this is where your dealer should step up.And many have.Installations have been free along w/tire sales or charging maybe an hrs labor have been posted.Is it fair?Not really but its the BEST money you can spend at ending this noise.This kit should cure most,Im not willing to say all.If it doesnt then I think you should let the MoCo know and then press the issue.Legal claims take time that most arent willing to see to the end.The cost just isnt worth it vs the cost of this kit.I have bitched as much if not more than anyone here,enough for Hd to see for themself and takewhat was learned from this testing to correct the noise for all.My bike got banged up during this,never fixed by dealer/nor HD even though dealer said they would.I paid for this kit myself,installed myself andnow have a quiet bike.After a yr of this Im satisfied,not happy but moving on.Do the same,its not worth what this issue can do to you.

Quick Reply: IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007