Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, Will send out on 9/14/07

Well since HD came out and made this a standard item on the 08's
and it can be retrofitted to the 07's, one would presume that HD is and was aware of the problems (noise, whining, clunking) back before the 08 went into production.
So why do you all have to BUY it?
shouldn't HD have to foot the bill?
I sure as heck wouldn't pay for it.
I would exercise every option I have to get them to pay for it, parts and labor!!

Old 10-21-2007, 03:02 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey choochoo, you wouldn't by any chance consider just giving it a rest, would you? They improved their product and are under no obligation for so doing, even had they done it midway through the last model year. Please, please just get over it and move on to something else.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:08 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, mine has no odd noises but I'm going to do everything in my power to get MOCO to give meABS for my '07.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE 11/20/2007

ORIGINAL: monkish

For anyone interested.....
I am waiting on my flight to return home and thought I would post a quick update. HD is replacing the motor in my 07 RK. They found a problem in the cams and the MOCO wanted the engine back. I will post a full update sometime after I pick up the bike and get a full report from the dealer which should be Monday or Tuesday.
Sucks something is wrong with the bike but good on themfor figuring it out and are taking care of it!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE 11/20/2007

ORIGINAL: monkish

For anyone interested.....
I am waiting on my flight to return home and thought I would post a quick update. HD is replacing the motor in my 07 RK. They found a problem in the cams and the MOCO wanted the engine back. I will post a full update sometime after I pick up the bike and get a full report from the dealer which should be Monday or Tuesday.

Congrats on the excellent result. Just goes to show that sometimes it does pay to be vocal and stick up for your rights.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tech2

Except that the motor home story is an urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
It sounded a bit far-fetched. What isn't mythical are these, shown some years back on CBS's 60 Minutes:

1. Man decides to clean some material from the inside of his mower deck with his hand, but forgets to turn off engine and is injured. Sues mfr. for not warning him and wins.

2. Two men decide to trim their hedge by holding a mower by the deck and are injured in the process. They sue the mfr. for not warning them not to trim hedges with a lawn mower, and win.

3. Man places a step ladder on a pile of frozen manure and proceeds with his job for several days. On the last day the manure has thawed and the ladder falls down, injuring him. You guessed it, he sues and wins. Owner of ladder company said they should put a warning on all ladders warning about the changing viscosity of manure.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
stukes_md
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody needs to complain to Harley like Monkish did. He got a new motor for the bike and Harley sent him on a month long vacation in Hawaii while they fixed it.[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
monkish
Road Master

Here is the short version of my final outcome.....

I just picked up the bike tonight and rode it home. I have a brand new motor and the IDS has been installed. The bike was a totally new machine. The odometer stayed the same and I will keep a copy of all the paperwork incase I do decide to sell it at some point which I do not believe will happen. The wife loves it. She took it for a ride when I got home and you could see her grin from a block away when she rounded the last corner coming down the home stretch. My local dealership did not charge for the IDS install so I am out only the $228 for the cost. I will be putting an IDS on my bike as well and am more than happy to do so at my expense.

The IDS was not the fix for this bike. It had a problem in the cams. MOCO decided to replace the engine instead of fix it which was the right thing to do in my opinion. The IDS does make a difference in the feel of the bike. I did not ride it long but it has a hole new feel. I believe the IDS is the answer for MOST of the bikes out there that seem a little noisy. But if you think that there is something more, follow your gut and go about it the right way. You spent alot of money and you should be happy.

I commend MOCO, my local rep (Lonnie)and my local dealer (Curley's)for the service I recieved. Even though the dealer took a little coaxing, they became commited and delivered excellent service in the end. If anyone would like any more info you can PM me andI will be glad to help if I can.

Thanks to all who had positive input and advice.

Now I can get back to more important stuff like CAMS IN MY BIKE and riding.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

It's nice to hear it worked out ok. We usually only hear bad stuff about the dealers and the MOCO.

In several threads I've noticed that when MOCO reps get involved things start happening. Somethoing to file away for future reference.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
quackhead
Road Master

thats awesome they replaced the motor for you...congrats. was the noise like a ticking noise? my 07SG ticks real bad and gets alot louder after it warms up. ive taken it to the stealer and gotten the same response "its a normal noise that harleys make".[:@] im gonna take it back again and if i get the same answer then im gonna go higher up.

Quick Reply: IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007