Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE 10/2/2007

ORIGINAL: tallboy56

This is why I joined this site...I don't have a bike yet and I read all these things about different experiences, both positive and negative. It wouldn't take too many "IDS" stories to convince me to look at another brand of bike. I hope someone at HD is on this site from time to time to see all the things that their customers as well as PROSPECTIVE customers can see. Maybe I'll give Victory a closer look before I jump. I've already looked at some other makes. I would love to be a faithful HD customer but sometimes I wonder...that Street Glide may fade out of view if this keeps up...what a shame!
Considering that this site has in excess of 34,000 members, I don't think you are seeing a very significant percentage of complainers. If you follow the threads that refer to "the '07 problems", you'll find that it is a very small number of members that are posting the same thing over and over. I'm not doubting that they have problems but the number is really quite small compared to the number of satisfied riders.

BTW, there are even fewer complaints about the '08 bikes.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE MET WITH REP

1 more thing before I leave, please understand that I am neither whining nor complaining about these issues. I have no problems with my SG and I will and or would by another HD. This post is for information to help others decide how to handle any similar problems that they may have. If you are looking for a problem free product of any kind..... good luck.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kasper

I think this IDS is just a mask to cover the real problem and that in the future you will be looking at big problems. Here's another problem now......what if you want to put some nice wheels on your bike with matching rotors and matching pulley like I did......your screwed.......you can't do it. Harley needs to fix this problem properly and that is to redesign this transmission/primary drive setupbefore they start failing later on in there life cycle. I personally think that HD is making way to many changes way to fast on all the items on their bikes. It used to be nice many years ago that no matter where you went or whether you went to an HD dealer or an independent shop you could almost always count on getting the parts you needed......now.....good luck if even the dealer has them. I think they are doing it so eventually you will only be able to get parts from the Dealer as all the aftermaket manufacturers will get fed up with having to redesign the parts every couple years to match the changes. I can tell you that I'm sure glad my bike is a 2005.
Hey Kasper explain to me why we can't change wheels and rotors? I may need to run out to the garage and switch mine back You can change wheels just as before the ids is just a cushion in the sprocket that will bolt right to the new wheel.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skratch

yeah, and as long as you're looking, check to see if it has a 'cush' drive, which is basically an ids. plus a lot of metric bikes have been using them for decades, guess you could rule those out too, those are sure to be 'masking' some underlying problems. be sure and check out the other forums too, (honda, kawa, etc), to make sure none of those folks are having any problems. then after you're done ruling out all the brands that have problems, start walking to wherever it is you wanna go, cause there won't be any bikes left to ride. or cars either.

point is, you are gonna hear a lot more problems on any bike forum than anything else. i mean seriously, i don't get up in the morning, ride to work, then ride home and immediately post, 'great day, made it home from work with no issues....'
Then you have to check bicycle, sneaker and shoe reviews for issues as well!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

ORIGINAL: madurodave

Then you have to check bicycle, sneaker and shoe reviews for issues as well!
yeah, thought of that too, but didn't want to overwhelm him.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Kasper
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Trock

I think this IDS is just a mask to cover the real problem and that in the future you will be looking at big problems. Here's another problem now......what if you want to put some nice wheels on your bike with matching rotors and matching pulley like I did......your screwed.......you can't do it. Harley needs to fix this problem properly and that is to redesign this transmission/primary drive setupbefore they start failing later on in there life cycle. I personally think that HD is making way to many changes way to fast on all the items on their bikes. It used to be nice many years ago that no matter where you went or whether you went to an HD dealer or an independent shop you could almost always count on getting the parts you needed......now.....good luck if even the dealer has them. I think they are doing it so eventually you will only be able to get parts from the Dealer as all the aftermaket manufacturers will get fed up with having to redesign the parts every couple years to match the changes. I can tell you that I'm sure glad my bike is a 2005.
Hey Kasper explain to me why we can't change wheels and rotors? I may need to run out to the garage and switch mine back You can change wheels just as before the ids is just a cushion in the sprocket that will bolt right to the new wheel.
Well Sorry...I should clarify this. You can change your wheels and rotors if you like.....you just won't get that complete look having to leave that ugly new pulley in place...kind of like only doing half the job. Some may be okay with it.....it would drive me nuts. Ihope the wheel manufactures start to make newly designed pulleys so all the guy's with 2008 bikes have a choice. I just think Harley should fix the problem properly....not try to mask it as they are doing. The problem is still there you just don't hear it now and it may take longer to destroy itself.....butI bet it will still destroy itself long beforeit should.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy skratch, easy...I'm just tryin' to learn here...it's ok to do some homework before making a decision. i don't really think i will have anything else anyway...besides, the wife REALLY likes the black Street Glide

yeah, and as long as you're looking, check to see if it has a 'cush' drive, which is basically an ids. plus a lot of metric bikes have been using them for decades, guess you could rule those out too, those are sure to be 'masking' some underlying problems. be sure and check out the other forums too, (honda, kawa, etc), to make sure none of those folks are having any problems. then after you're done ruling out all the brands that have problems, start walking to wherever it is you wanna go, cause there won't be any bikes left to ride. or cars either.

point is, you are gonna hear a lot more problems on any bike forum than anything else. i mean seriously, i don't get up in the morning, ride to work, then ride home and immediately post, 'great day, made it home from work with no issues....'

Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Trock

Well Sorry...I should clarify this. You can change your wheels and rotors if you like.....you just won't get that complete look having to leave that ugly new pulley in place...kind of like only doing half the job. Some may be okay with it.....it would drive me nuts. Ihope the wheel manufactures start to make newly designed pulleys so all the guy's with 2008 bikes have a choice. I just think Harley should fix the problem properly....not try to mask it as they are doing. The problem is still there you just don't hear it now and it may take longer to destroy itself.....butI bet it will still destroy itself long beforeit should.
Well I guess if you lay down you can see the pulley but if it looks bad to you just get a chrome cover thats in the 08 catalog and cover it up.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

ORIGINAL: tallboy56

easy skratch, easy...I'm just tryin' to learn here...it's ok to do some homework before making a decision. i don't really think i will have anything else anyway...besides, the wife REALLY likes the black Street Glide

its cool man, not dishing on you. well, not too hard anyway

good luck with your research, then when you're done, buy the damn harley. after all, its for the wife.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:58 PM
monkish
Road Master
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE 11/20/2007

For anyone interested.....
I am waiting on my flight to return home and thought I would post a quick update. HD is replacing the motor in my 07 RK. They found a problem in the cams and the MOCO wanted the engine back. I will post a full update sometime after I pick up the bike and get a full report from the dealer which should be Monday or Tuesday.

Quick Reply: IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007