Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 AM
07 KING_SE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE MET WITH REP

You 05 & 06 ownersgot a good point. It's also toughdealing with more hp and torque. You know quick acceleration.Not to mention having that extra gear. Got to shift more.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait for the '09 models to come out. Then us '07 owners can talk about how glad we are about having one of the "better older ones".

Old 09-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Kasper
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 07 KING_SE

You 05 & 06 ownersgot a good point. It's also toughdealing with more hp and torque. You know quick acceleration.Not to mention having that extra gear. Got to shift more.
Do you not read American Iron Magazine? There was a great article in there about how the 96" enginemakes now more horsepower or torque than the 88"......it's all made through the gearing in the drive assembly.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kasper

Do you not read American Iron Magazine? There was a great article in there about how the 96" enginemakes now more horsepower or torque than the 88"......it's all made through the gearing in the drive assembly.
Since when is AI (Donny Peterson)the holy grail?
Several other mags did dyno tests and rate the 96s at about 4 more horse and 8 more tq. As a matter of fact some of the dynos were in AI and had a different
result that what Donny Peterson said in the article you refer to.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Well Donny Peterson is more believeable than some guy named nvsteve....JK
Couldn't resist... hell you might be Donny P. as far as I know...lol

lp

ORIGINAL: nvsteve

Several other mags did dyno tests and rate the 96s at about 4 more horse and 8 more tq. As a matter of fact some of the dynos were in AI and had a different

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Kasper
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nvsteve

ORIGINAL: Kasper

Well he is one of the most respected and thorough guys in the industry so I'm not going to argue with him. I'm just stating his results. And if there is more power as you say....it is most likely due to the gearing as he says.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Rev00
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see, a quality 6 speed for mine is much less than $18k, and my 88 has about the same dyno numbers as the new stock bikes. Best yet, it's paid for. I thought long and hard on a new bike, then said I would rather do something else with the cash. To Each his Own.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Letter to MOCO, UP-DATE 10/2/2007

No news yet. They are still digging in the motor. Just as an up-date though, there are 2 issues with the wife's bike. As this whole subject is getting quite the spotlight this is where I stand on them both.

1. There isextra noise made from the entire drive line that is not on every 07 but it is on quite a few. Itcan be remedied with the IDS. It will cost you $228.00 from Zanotti Motors, shipped to your door with the bearing pressed in. This noise is probably whatmost are experiencing. My07 SG does not have near the noise as my wife’s 07 RKC in the drive line but I am going to install the IDS on mine also due to the praise from everyone else. Sure won’t hurt anything. Yes it sucks that we have to pay but .......

2. Her bike sounds like a lifter is coming out of the top end when warmed up. This is what they are trying to figure out. My bike has none of this noise at all. The MOCO rep has heard it and was not satisfied, the service mgr heard it and said it was not IDS related and one of the other service reps has acknowledged it. We shall see.

I have had a lot of personal e-mails sent on this and I will post a final up-date including all names and contact information for everyone who I have been in contact with about thisat HD and my local Dealer. With that said I sure hope it has a happy ending.

For now I will leave it at that and not worry about it. We leave for Hawaii in the morning and I will not be back untill the 20th. Hopefully I will come home to a quite ride for my wife.

Ride safe.......

Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I joined this site...I don't have a bike yet and I read all these things about different experiences, both positive and negative. It wouldn't take too many "IDS" stories to convince me to look at another brand of bike. I hope someone at HD is on this site from time to time to see all the things that their customers as well as PROSPECTIVE customers can see. Maybe I'll give Victory a closer look before I jump. I've already looked at some other makes. I would love to be a faithful HD customer but sometimes I wonder...that Street Glide may fade out of view if this keeps up...what a shame!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

yeah, and as long as you're looking, check to see if it has a 'cush' drive, which is basically an ids. plus a lot of metric bikes have been using them for decades, guess you could rule those out too, those are sure to be 'masking' some underlying problems. be sure and check out the other forums too, (honda, kawa, etc), to make sure none of those folks are having any problems. then after you're done ruling out all the brands that have problems, start walking to wherever it is you wanna go, cause there won't be any bikes left to ride. or cars either.

point is, you are gonna hear a lot more problems on any bike forum than anything else. i mean seriously, i don't get up in the morning, ride to work, then ride home and immediately post, 'great day, made it home from work with no issues....'

Quick Reply: IDS, Letter to MOCO, PICKED UP BIKE 10/29/2007