Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puffin blue smoke????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,310 Likes on 6,123 Posts
Default RE: Puffin blue smoke????

Sounds like valve seals.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

blue = oil .... white = water or aluminum, but then shortly after you'll see blue

Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Buzzard69
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue or White if its smoke it will eventually be green as in the color of what its gonna cost ya

Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Campingout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was serious. Put 1k on the bike after getting it back from an engine rebuild. Then after getting up to speed in any gear and backing off the wick, it put smoke out. Had a guy follow me and watch to make sure (hard to see while riding).

The wrench had messed up on the installation of the piston wrist pin ring, carved a big groove in the cylinder. Put in new jug and piston, and the indie made good on it. Got it back today, no problems.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

I had a friend follow me today. Put it through the gears hard. No smoke no nuthin. I think the guy that told me he saw blue smoke just wanted to talk to a Haley guy so he could go home and tell his girlfriend about it. Maybe he would get some sex or something. I'll have my tech look more closely at it next service but I'm sure all is fine. Off to the Keys tomorrow.
Fred

Old 09-10-2007, 08:58 PM
THABULL
Road Master

My brothers 07 UC does the same thing. Bike has about 3000 miles on it. He is a self procliamed know it all , even though the ser. mgr. told him to try and keep it under 3500 RPM for the 1st 500 miles , he road it during that period like he rides it now , right up against the rev limiter.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here recently posted about residual fuel left in the gas pump hose. It brought up the point that if you pump gas from a hose that dispensed diesel fuel from the same pump andif someone pumped diesel prior to you that you could be pumping 1/3 gallon of diesel into your tank before the gas flows out. It really caught my attention and only makes practical sense. Could it be that you bought a tank of gas from a pump that had diesel fuel as an option? For cagers with larger tanks, it's probably not an issue, but for a small tank, I would think diesel fuel would definitely causesomeexhaust smoke. I avoid pumps with diesel options now......

Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hogwallop

Someone here recently posted about residual fuel left in the gas pump hose. It brought up the point that if you pump gas from a hose that dispensed diesel fuel from the same pump andif someone pumped diesel prior to you that you could be pumping 1/3 gallon of diesel into your tank before the gas flows out. It really caught my attention and only makes practical sense. Could it be that you bought a tank of gas from a pump that had diesel fuel as an option? For cagers with larger tanks, it's probably not an issue, but for a small tank, I would think diesel fuel would definitely causesomeexhaust smoke. I avoid pumps with diesel options now......
I see what your saying, but as I have been around gas stations for some time, the multi-pumps have an internal hose that despenses Diesel, for just that reason.
But as a general rule, I wont pump fuel from a multi-pump in my scoot either..( one that dispenses diesel also.)

Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard - The residual diesel that I was referring to is what is left in the hose behind the fueling nozzle. On the multi-product pumps using one hose, wouldn'tsome diesel fuel still be present in the hose hanging from the pump on the outside? I can imagine there is a seperate line internally for each product. It's the one on the outside I would think could be contaminated with the different fuel.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
alexcue
Road Master

I know we've gone off topic here, but all the pumps here that I've seen that do diesel and gas all have either individual hoses for each grade including diesel, or they have 2 hoses. One for the diesel and one for the regular gas (all 3 grades).

I don't think i've ever seen in my life one that dispenses diesel and regular gas thru only one hose here in CA.