Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Stock Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 02:04 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Question About Stock Fairings

you asked so ill throw in my 02 i love color coded fairings, they look very cool. but i too would be concerned about the glare. on the other hand ya cant beat the look of a satin black faring!

Old 11-26-2005, 02:08 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I have an 04 FLHTCI, I bought an extra inner faring and had it painted gloss black,,, I would never go back, thats my .02 - If you decide to do this... pay attention to everything when it comes apart - it take time and patients...

Old 11-26-2005, 08:45 AM
joe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint it , the panel always look better.besides it is black, if it was a yellow bike i'd still go gloss black with a clear, yellow is too much and too bright for inner panels. if you want to try some thing tell the shop when they paint someone elses black paint a small piece of cardboard then tape it to the panel and ride around to see if there is any glare.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice up there....the yellow fairing was on a yellow bike...I thought it looked pretty sharp.

Ram - I'll tell you what, I would probably give my left ******** for that paint job...how's the rest of the bike look? That mother is sweet!

Mac

Old 11-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Roadking1679
Intermediate

Ram:
Killer paint job. Just received my Hoppe Quadzilla a few days ago. It's going to paint next week. Inside will be a flat, textured finished black. Outside painted to match the HD radical paint.
Jeff

[IMG]local://upfiles/5112/8A733783329B4A16A236765EC1EA7FB1.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Well....

I mounted the fairing to the bike and did a walk-around. It gave me a chance to visualize the inner fairing up against the gloss black of the bike (the gelcoat is close to a satin black). Since I'm painting it myself, and the bike is vivid black, I'm going to paint both inner and outer the gloss black. I'll give it a shot and see how it is in regards to glare. If it turns out to be too distracting I can always repaint the inner with the satin black. Eventually the bike will be getting a complete paint makeover.

Brian

Old 11-26-2005, 02:14 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Brian,

As soon as you know, please give me an honest evaluation of the quick detach fairing. We are seriously considering one for the wife's Heritage, but if it is going to effect handling too much, or if there are bulleting problems, etc. we don't want to do it.

Thanks,

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Roadking1679
Intermediate

Bill:
I'll jump in here. There will be much less turbulance with any of the full size fairings than with your windshield. I found that the chrome wind deflectors in combination with the fairing cuts a lot of the wind buffetting. You'll have to find the right height fairing windshield that fits your needs (low for a cool look, tall for less wind). I found no handling problems at parking lot or highway speed. There seems to be less wind resistance at high speed with the fairing than the stock windshield. Maybe due to the streamlined shape of the fairing as opposed to a flat windshield. I'm happy with mine and can't wait to get it painted and back on the King.
Jeff

[IMG]local://upfiles/5112/6D6A21A7E7E54248B4DDA7C42AA73C1C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Hey Bill...

I think RoadKing hit the nail on the head. I have yet to ride the bike with the fairing installed but I'm expecting great things. Hopefully I will know better tomorrow since I'm painting it today. Let it dry overnight, do a little wet sanding & buffing tomorrow, reassemble it and let 'er roll. I'm also getting the stereo setup in the fairing today. I've made a weather guard out of lexan that surrounds the stereo and right now I'm waiting for the epoxy to dry.

I will definitely post my thoughts.

Brian

Old 11-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I saw the yellow bike with the yellow inner and like Mac says it looked very cool but I have to go with the black no gloss inner to fight the glare and I also like it best - surprised no mentioned a dash kit - I hate the wood styles that are out there but I like some of the carbon metal looking ones I have seen in the catalogs -

Quick Reply: Question About Stock Fairings