Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Un-insured Motorist

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
ToadsUltra07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Un-insured Motorist

Was at the grocery store tonight and ran into some old friends. People that I bought my first motorcycle off of when I was 11years old. (Money saved from mowing lawns) (And they gave me a brake on the price)I have know them for a long time.. And their children.

There son and I use to ride/race dirt track together, when we were younger. We all grow up and gone our different ways.

Come to find out he was hit while riding one night by a Un-Insured Motorist. My friends name is John. John had insurance on all his rides. John spent two months in the hospitol. Has pins in his legs, and might loose the use or mobility with his left foot all together. His parents found out today. That he might loose his job do to the fact that after 72 days of FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). They (his job) can replace him. Yes, he can get an extension on his FMLA but only for another 45 days. But his job does not have Light Duty work. He must be 100% to return to work. His lively hood might be destroyed by this individual ability to pay attention while driving.
There was numerous witness's to this accident. However the judge didnt care to hear them.

The person that hit him, as I had stated did not have insurance. John took him to court. And this un-insured motorist basically got off with two fines. One for not being insured $500 fine. And one for the accident $100 fine. And the worse part of this all is that same day, he recieved his drivers license back. And is back on the road driving. This person has not offered to help pay one damned dime on Johns medical bills, in any way.

He has gotten off scott free..

When I found out about this, needless to say, I was a bit angry. Made a few phone calls. Talked to the editorial writer for one of the papers in this town. And within the hour John, had recieved a phone call asking about his story and documents of the events.

The sad thing to this story is that it could be me, or someone else that I know. Yes, I know there is laws on the books about un-insured motorist. Sad part is, when they break the law, and someone gets hurt, it seems they still get off with just a slap on the wrist, and the person that gets really hurt is still left holding the bag/bills

ToadsUltra07

Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
dcountryboy
Cruiser
Default RE: Un-insured Motorist

Thoughts and prayers are sent your friends way.Yes this could be any one of us and sad to say will happen to someone else as I type this.It isn't fair but what do we do.Every day we go out there and dodge people with cell phones , not paying attention, drinking and driving many risks too numerous to mention but it is usually the innocent that have to suffer the most as does your friend.Just rambling I guess but also maybe venting as you did, since this is atopic that always seems to come around.It seems no matter how much awareness we try to teach to everyone it still happens.
To all out there ride safe and prayers for all, Danny

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Contact the attorney general.
Does your state require insurance? File a ls against him.
In Alabama does require insurance but when you are hit by a uninsured driver they also get a slap on the wrist. The attorney general may be able to help by contacting him and require him to pay up, at least some.

Prayers sent and have him to put it in the Fathers hands

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why my policy has coverage for un/under-insured motorists.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
rkc_downunder
1st Gear

My first post!!!

We are lucky here is Aus, all states require compulsory insurance for all vehicles hitting another vehicle (car/motorbike). So there is always some form of insurance to rely on, doesnt make up for the fact that the idiot hit you tho. The only way this doesnt help is if the car isnt registered but then they are likely to go to jail for that.

I ride with the thought that everyone out there is trying to kill me on my motorbike, sad way to view things, but it keeps me aware of other vehicles.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I live in a state that Requires Insurance to even get a lic or reg - However, My state is full of A-Wholes that do not even speak English and do not give a schit if they have a DL or Insurance or Reg - That is why I carry the highest Uninsured I can - and don't forget Uninsured also covers UNDER insured - legal limit I believe is 15/30 and I am sure 15K would not cover your friends bills = What needs to be done with these people - Our Bleeding heart liberals will NOT Allow - I have been a Fire Fighter for 34.5 years (Full time) and I have seen LOTS of drivers out there - first thing out of their mouth (NO Speak English) I am Tired of it... but what can one person do??? esp. in CA??

(Wish your friend a speedy recover)

Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, at least liability coverage or a bond are compulsory here, too.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

Here in Oregon, when you buy a new or used car or bikefrom a dealer or get new registration from DMV, ya got to show proof of insurance. There are many drivers here without insurance and licence. They buy old carsthat have current reg and drive them or take the tags off and place on another old car. They are the ones usually driving drunk, high on drugs, and pissed off at the world.....

Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
zoomie67
Tourer

The un-insured motorist will eventually pay. It works likethis, The insurance company paid your friends med bills. When they havefixed him up or the policy limits are paid they will sue the un insured motorist for the amount of the claim. I don't know how they do it in your state but here they will yank the un insured's license until he pays the judgement. Trust me he will be in a world of s#$ soon.If your friend has health insurance that coverage can pay as well as the Auto policy.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

Off the top of my head I'd say 1. Sue the person with no insurance. You may not gain anything but if this uninsured motorist has anything you can put liens on his property and if tries to do annything like sell cars, home, etc., you get paid first. 2. The insurance company (yours) will get their money back in the long run. 3. If your friend pays into social security, and he is or is going to be disabled for at least six months, applyfor social security disability. Good luck to your friend and I hope he heals quickly and completely.

Quick Reply: Un-insured Motorist