Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Electra Glide Standard

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:28 AM
CarolinaDoc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King vs Electra Glide Standard

I've decided to get a new Harley next spring, '08 model. Now that I've gotten a little older, I want to do some longer rides and need a tourer. I still have my "minimalist" values, however, and I'm not ready for an Ultra or Goldwing or anything. I'm almost reluctant about windshields and fairing, but I suppose I will get used to them.

Anyway, after visiting a couple of dealerships, the Roadking and Electra Glide Standard appeal to me the most. The seem to be pretty similar bikes, except for the fairing. Seems like that is the only issue to decide upon between bikes. Any opinions from people who have ridden or owned both? Is it pretty much just a personal preference thing? Are the rides different? Having never even had a windshield, will the fairing be difficult to get used to?

I appreciate the input.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King vs Electra Glide Standard

CarolinaDoc,

While I've only owned a SG I can tell you why I choose the SG over the Road King (Which I love). The SG and the Standard have the Bat Wing fairing for which I loved the look. The SG has the radio which can easily be added to the standard.

Go rent both for a day and see which one YOU like.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member

Personal preferance. I enjoy the fairing for the highway and it really extends my riding season.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 AM
Roofuss96
Road Captain

Have ridden both,I vote for the Standard . [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I bounced back and forth for a year with the same issue. I decided on the Standard. I liked the looks of bothbut the kicker was I decided I wanteda radio. It came in yesterday! I have to get up there and check her out.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The Road King and the Electra Glide are the same exact bike except for the style of saddle bags on some RK's and of course the fairing. The seats on the E-G may be a bit morecushy too.

The comfortfactor as far as extended rides issignificantly greater IMHO, especially when the weather gets colder. I'd never had a radio, fairing or full instrumentson a m/c either before I got my E-G and boy let me tell you it sure adds something to the comfort levelis all I can say. If you really plan to log some serious miles the Electra Glide is tops plain and simple!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:03 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

White motor vs black motor.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same dilema and went with the EGS because the wife liked it better. Now I absolutely would go with the EGS over the RK because of the faring and some of the reasons already noted. My dad has a RK and it is a great bike to ride but if I was going accross country I would prefer my EGS. I really like my silver engine and that is usually a big turn off for most guys that look at the EGS. Most want the black and chrome. Either way you will have a nice bike that will do what you want it to do, but I vote for EGS. It is about $2-3K cheeper depending on where you buy it. Bryan

Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 AM
quint
Tourer

Doc

I've owned both, and currently have an '08 Ultra on order. Let me give you some feedback about each:

Road King:
- Classic looks
- Removable windshield - looks classic when you take it off
- Black crackle motor

Electra Glide
- More comfortable seat
- More comfortable (to most) ergos
- More guages (standard tach, for instance)

Both work well as cruising bikes (my wife and I did a 4-day trip on the RK and it was fine), but the RK is more about styling and the EG is more about functionality. If you're going to do a bit of bar hopping and slower cruising, then the RK is more for you. If you find you do mostly highway speeds and longer distances, I'd say go for the EG.

Here's an interesting sidebar: Barnetts claim that people who choose a Road King as their first Harley keep them longer than every other model. Just something else to add into your thoughts... Anothet thought: many second, third or more time Harley owners end up with EGs in their various forms (many end up with a Classic or Ultra, just for the amenities). With the EG Standard, you can add some of that stuff later.

Good luck - either way, you're gonna love it.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 AM
lsc86
Tourer

The RK I liked most was the Custom, but that is now gone for '08. For some reason the stock bars on the RK Classic have a weird bend to me, definitely need changing. If you really don't ever want the radio and seldom ride in cold or wet weather, then I think you would enjoy the easy to strip down RK line better.

For me, I prefer the Electra Glide. Just can't beat the timeless looks, comfort, and features. If you end up leaning towards the Electra Glide, go ahead and buy the EG-Classic and add the detachable hardware for the Tour Pak. While I love my Standard, the Classic is a better value.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15299/91892CC0D8B84BBE8E6F28040BC96BAB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Road King vs Electra Glide Standard