Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Shack Siren - installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Shack Siren - installed

Thanks to others here on the forum for the info on the Radio Shack siren. Now my alarm on my 07 Ultra is complete. Install isa piece of cake and took me about 20 minutes. All that for $5.25. My local Radio Shack did not have the part in stock, but allowed me to pay for it in the store and shipped it to my house free of charge. I had it 2 days after I ordered it. Thanks to all who have shared the info.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio Shack Siren - installed

So how loud is it. What`s the part # and do you think it`s worth it....[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

Yeah more details... Will this work on the 2006 models?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Obi68
Road Captain

definitely need more info please.

Obi

Old 09-06-2007, 02:36 AM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the post that I read about it in posted by ROLLNTIGER.

Part #273-079 less than $6.00 get some shrink tubing while your there.

Don't know why HD sells the alarm and siren seperate, but read the post about the "Radio Shack" siren so I thought it would be an easy inexpensive fix and it was.

The receipt says 9:49 and it took me till right at 11:00 to complete everything including cleaning up the fingerprints and the garage.

Removed the right side saddle bag and cover and then removed the electronic control module, 2 hex head screws. Removed the plastic cover, two nuts. Cut the head off the factory wiring harness. The factory wiring harness has three wires black, brown, and green. The siren only has a black and red. Take two pieces of shrink tubing and place over the red and black wires from the siren. Wired the red from the siren to the brown from the wireing harness and the siren black to the bike green. The black I just tucked back into the wireing cover. Test your connections! Slide the shrink tubing back down and used the blow dryer on high setting to shrink the tubing. The siren is small enough that I used some 3M emblem tape and secured the siren where the wiring harness was located. Simple using "cutacroshorty" as my instuction manual.

I was surprised at how small the siren is and never thought it would be loud enough. For those that have the alarm but no siren this is a great mod.

I did not cut the head off the factory plug. I stuck the wires in the holes in the factory plug and taped it all together. When I pulled off my plastic cover the plug was being held in a clip on that cover. As far as the sound, the speaker itself is very loud (120db), but after it is taped inside the plastic cover and the side cover is put back on it is not as loud. It is still very noticeable, but just not blaring loud. Any other questions let me know. I don't know if it will work on the 06 models but it seems like I read where there is a difference between the 05 and the 07, not sure about 06.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It will work on 02 and later touring models, 03 and later softails and 04 and later dynas. Doc

Old 09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

I bought two of them. One I put behind the cover and the other I installed on the frame at the seat/tank area where some of the ground wires are attached. Not as loud as a car alarm, but will definitly get your attention.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

Will the siren fit in the cover if you have a power commander installed there???

On the other side cover I have my cruise control module.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

depending on the siren you get, it can fit under the ecm plate, in the very location that hd would like you to put theirs the one i bought for my bike fits perfect under there, the one i got for the wife is a little taller and does not fit completely under, but the ecm plate acts like a clamp to hold it down. its a little louder that way also because the output is not under anything (except the side cover of course.) i did the same as stu, i did not cut the wires, just jam the wires from the siren (they called mine a buzzer, but it buzzes at 120db and sounds like an ambulance....) into the wiring harness and put the plug cap back on, that will hold the wires in place. had mine this way for almost a year and not had any problems yet with the wire falling out.

yeah, it doesn't have a battery back up, doesn't page you like hd does, and for sure, it isn't gonna stop the determined thief. but its all about making your bike less attractive to the thief than that other bike parked down the road. and for 10 bucks or less, can't beat that.