Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key West Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Brooklyn Redneck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key West Trip

Getting ready to head out on a ride to Key West next week from NC there is a little poker run/rally going on down there. While I have flown there before I have never ridden, are there and must see's on the way?? be it senic or little hole in the wall. Anything to steer clear or be wary of?? Speed traps??? Thanks.
BR

Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Default RE: Key West Trip

lol, LITTLE!!!!!! right..... I went into the Keys last year when they allwas coming out..... Just enjoy yourself and if a cop name EJ gets you tell him you know John from Connecticut... Met him and his wife on a cruise a couple years ago.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wanting to do that run myself. Check this out and let me know how it goes
http://members.aol.com/cafemojo/conch.html

Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

I live in the Florida panhandle and we rode down to Key West last year in May. It was a GREAT trip. You're going to have a fantastic time.

If you're riding down the east coast of Florida, avoid I-95 and spend some time riding down A1A. It runs right down the beach and there is no better scenery in the state. Stop at the Daytona HD dealership, which is the largest one in the world. And a short detour will take you into downtown West Palm. And the ride between all the tall palm trees is definitely something to be remembered.

We stayed overnight in Key Largo and then rode the last 90 miles into Key West the next morning so that we didn't have to ride into the setting sun. I highly recommend that idea because it's impossible to appreciate the scenery if you're staring into a blaring sunset. And of course don't forget to visit Sloppy Joe's. Lastly, you're going down there at the peak of hurricane season ... so if you want to be wary of something, those are definitely worth looking out for.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What time of year is best for that run? I would think early spring....

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

What time of year is best for that run? I would think early spring....
Agreed. Early spring is the driest time of the year and has the most comfortable temps.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

I've been wanting to do that run myself. Check this out and let me know how it goes
http://members.aol.com/cafemojo/conch.html
I live in Fort Lauderdale so I go to the keys lots. The above link is great. I can add to it somewhat.

You can start by detouring out of Fort Lauderdale along Route 595 to Route 27 south. Take Chrome Avenue south at the Broward/Dade line @ the 1/8 mi drag strip. Take that to Homestead and will end up next to the Last Chance. See my post on “Choices – Maybe to Die For!” for road tips along that section. Nice fast ride & great Florida run.

Before making the long trip down the 26-mile stretch, stop in Homestead at “The Last Chance Saloon.”

When in Key west, stop by as I bought a 3 HP blender for frozen Strawberry Daiquiri’s, Goombay Smash’s, and Pina Coladas. As always, a good time will hopefully be had by all. Hope you stop by & introduce yourselves. Look for the sign (same as the Avatar) on Duval street, Saturday, Sept. 15th.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Brooklyn Redneck
Cruiser

Thanks for the infoguy's, Fastharley I will look for your sign on Duval, as for hurricanes it looks right now that it won't be an issue.
BR

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I take U.S. 27 down to 997 and us that to go in the back way to Homestead and Florida City. Brings you right out on 1 heading down to Key Largo. Spending the night in Key Largo and then hitting the ride down in the morning isa good idea.

Quick Reply: Key West Trip