Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions? DTT TCFI-IID or Tmax w/ Autotune

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Drelkor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions? DTT TCFI-IID or Tmax w/ Autotune

First, just want to make it clear that I'm looking for opinions and that I've done plenty of searches and read literally tons of messages on here regarding each of the two systems. My problem is that after all of the research (about 3 weeks reading a little here and there), I still can't decide one which one of these two systems to buy because they both appear to function well and will both do exactly what I need.As far as experience, I'm mechanically competent and I've tuned Ford Mustang EEC-IV units in the past. Below I'll listwhat I've kinda determined about each unit and what I'm planning on adding. I'm looking for either input on incorrect assumptions I may have, or insight about your experience with the unit(s) and how they worked for your situation. I appreciate any and all advice in helping me finally make up my mind.

The Bike: 2007 Street Glide - Currentlystock - no security or cruise control, but I plan to add them later

Mods I'm making immediately:
D&D Fatcat w/ quiet baffle, Arlen Ness Stage 1 Big Sucker, and an ECU Tuner (DTT TCFI-IID or Tmax w/ Autotune)

Mods Imight make later:
Either street ported heads, cams, and a 103 kit
or
something like a GMR 107 kit

Tmax w/ Autotune
Pros:
[ul][*]Cost (about $70 cheaper than DTT)[*]Warranty (3 year vs. DTT 1 year,neither unit has a warranty on the 02 sensors)[*]Large Base Map selection on software CD[*]Ease of installation (both unit and initial setup)[*]Seems to have a much larger user base of customers (more people to ask questions )[*]Zippers reported to be responsive to tech inquiries[*]Good online documentation[*]Works with security, cruise, and 6th gear indicator[/ul]
Cons:
[ul][*]Seems to have more defective units than DTT, although warranty seems to be covering them[*]Some users experience deceleration pop (although Zippers is trying to address it)[*]Doesn't datalog to memory, laptop required[*]Seems to require more manual base map tweaking to work through some issues[*]Some features locked from end user access[*]I've seen some indications that a Fatcat is harder to tune on a Tmax (don't know if this is true)[/ul]
Daytona Twintec TCFI-IID
Pros:
[ul][*]Designed for mild to wild horsepower combinations[*]Have never heard of a failed DTT unit[*]I see very few complaints about issues with tuning[*]Online documentation seems to be excellent[*]Works with security, cruise, and 6th gear indicator[*]Alltuning features available to end user[*]Autotune BLMs stored as individual cylinders so cylinders can be individually tuned[*]Editing software seems easier to edit AFR and advance tables (spreadsheet style w/ charts)[/ul]
Cons:
[ul][*]Onlya few generic configuration Base Maps supplied[*]More expensive[*]Installation slighty more complicated (setting TPS and IAC)[*]Shorter warranty[*]Lower number of installed users[*](I have no information on the responsiveness of DTT tech support)[/ul]
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Drel

Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Decisions, decisions? DTT TCFI-IID or Tmax w/ Autotune

I have a good bit of first hand experience with the DTT unit, so I will admit that my perspective is one sided. I have installed serveral and assisted with numerous others.

The unit ROCKs! As far as price goes, check with Bart.... I'm pretty sure the price is the same.

There is a good bit of technical support available both here and on v - twin forums .com. Chris @ DTT is a genius and can be tremendously helpful, or kinda cold depending on the day. Nevertheless, he has always helped I any of the folks I know have needed it.

The IAC / TPS setup is really not that bad, after you understand what you are trying to accomplish. I can help ya with that.

There are more than enough MAPs available. These units are not nearly as picky as the TMax when it comes to "base map". They just tune themselves in.

If you are comfortable with tuning the hotrods, as you mentioned, the DTT is much more granular than the TMax.

Having said all that, there are plenty of folks out there that love their TMax's too.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DTT

Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a hard decision but I don't think you will go wrong either way you go. I have the tm and love it but i'm prejudiced.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give you my unbias opinion even though I run the TMax. Download and play with both systems software and go with the one that you feel the most comfortable with.Either onewill accomplish your goals.

I too build several Mustangs and my last ran a SDS stand alone engine management. I love tuning my engines myself.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I too have a 2007 SG. I installed the DTT/WEGO IID and love it.
I have RineHart Tru-Duals and the SE-A/C. The DTT also has Auto-Tune. I tuned my in 5 tweaking sessions. I`m going to fine tune and Futts with itto experiment some when I get time. I like the DTT setup myself. Based on info available to me it was ano brain-er.
Go DTT...You cant go wrong. It`s rock Solid, easy to install, setup and use. It will interface with the Cruise Control and the Turn Signal Module over the 1850 data bus. My Cruise works fine. You can calibrate the Speedo too. Read DTC`s and record real-time data.
Just my $.02..I really like mine.
Tech support is great. Only called for an unlock code, but was not able to get one. Must be a corporate client due to release of code info on the WWW.
The main map you need is there(same as mine) and I never needed to adjust my TPS or throttle body. It was well within the spec range. And you don`t need toset the IAC. It has a value range, but you should have no problems on a bike that has been running a Delphi setup already. Mine was also within spec. Besides, all it would take is a throttle pate stop screw adjustment.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can only tell you about the DTT as I also have first hand experience, having put 9k miles on my bike since I installed it. Installation is straight forwardand I have assisted others also with install and initial tune and set-up. As Phil indicated, the DTT is not fussy at all on base maps and will tune itself with some input from you along the way (applying BLMs, and smoothing peaks in the Alpha N table). Big plus is the ease of creating a new timing table, editing the same and also editing fuel tables. You can add, subtract from each cell and throttle position or do an across the board edit by determining percent of change.

I have called DTT three times and got Chris each time and he was very straight forward with info, although you ay have to slow him down a bit as he is an engineer and sometimes forgets he is talking to "newbies" using the tuner. I consider the support to be excellent.

I just finished a 3850 mile road trip through the Smokies and Appalachians with elevation changes of 5000 ft in 5 miles, and the system was great, tuning as it went, and adapted to the 70 degree temp of Ohio to the 108 degree temps of Mississippi.

I too have never heard of a failure (knock on wood) although it is a piece of electronic gear, and there is no such thing as a perfect record.

T-Max owners seem to be happy with the system, but for my money, and for the wild build I am running, the DTT has been the right choice. IIf you go with the DTT, you do have some of us on this forum that have really gained a lot of expertise with the system and are more than willing to help. If you are going to make modifications piecemeal, the ease of editing all tables is a big plus.

BTW, my bike stock got 39 mpg and that was with extreme effort, now, with the build and the DTT, I averaged over 40 for the trip, and believe me, I was not easy on the bike. I did monitor the mileage each section and the best, when not hammering up and down mountains was 45.2mpg. I am a tinkerer, and firmly believe I can still wring out more mpg if I want to give up a bit more of performance. (what I am saying!)

Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

Drelkor,
Send meyour email I have created a guide about the installation that is pretty good. It could be better but I haven't spend much time updating. I created it on the fly.
The DTT is solid like others have said. You don't need to keep trying maps like a PCIII to get it to work. Tuning is quick and making timing changes is easy also.
Any questions firs them away as there are quite a few here that use it and V-twin has quite a few users that are a welth of knowledge.

Thanks
john

Old 09-05-2007, 07:24 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't think you can go wrong with either one......they both do the desired job well. I've installed a Thundermax, and while the install went very quick & easy............I haven't really played with the software much or made adjustments to it. I have the DTT system on my bike, and I'm very happy. Install is a little more involved, but nothing to dramatic at all. Adjusting the TPS and stop screw is very easy to do and not a big deal at all, and installing the 2 wires into the main harness is very easy too.

It's my feeling that people make way too big of a deal about the basemaps...........put in one that is close, and let the system do what it was designed to do. My bike was running great the first ride I took on it, I applied the BLMs a few times and it's running great now. Some timing adjustments to take care of some low-rpm pinging and it's all good to go. Most of Zippers basemaps are made for Zippers products, so there really isn't a great selection if you have other brands of parts. With the DTT you just put in the basemap for your year and motor size and let it do it's magic.........in no time you'll be very happy.

Steve

Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

On a '07 FLHX do the head pipes need to be removed to replace O2 sensors to put on Tmax O2 sensors?

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions? DTT TCFI-IID or Tmax w/ Autotune