Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver CO Exhaust Crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Denver CO Exhaust Crackdown

ORIGINAL: Jinks

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

"Here, the community is moving the entertainment venues out to the outskirts of town (Ormond Beach & Destination Daytona) & planting "Ride Quiet" signs. The signs are up year 'round, & I suspect it won't be long 'till enforcement gets severe."

Whena similar ordinance hitDaytona a few years ago everyone get excited aboutit and thoughtthat it would be the end of bikeweek and biketoberfest. In reality the idiots who are getting the tickets are the ones who constantly rev their bikes and attract as much attention as they can. I've never seen a cop pull over a rider with loud pipes who wasn't drawing attention to themselves intentionally.

As for Bruce Rossmeyer drawing a lot of action up to Destination Daytona, that was a different beef he had with the city of Daytona. They were cracking down on how many vendors and what not he could have at his store during bikeweek. So he makes such a big event at Destination, which I have to admit it is a pretty nice setup.
Part of the restraint shown by the cops was due to the former sheriff, who convinced the community that our dollars were worth a little inconvenience. Worked through the 80's & 90's, but with the increased size of the event you have to admit Daytona was runnin' out of room downtown. I actually like the way things are goin'. The US-1 corridor & Rossmeyers Destination Daytona gives more room for the events, yet relieves some of the conjestion downtown. Main Street will survive, the Ocean Center will still host shows, the beach ain't goin' anywhere, & some of the races will still be at the track (& some will be at The Patch).

I expect they'll still show restraint about ticketing pipes unless as you say "they're drawing attention to themselves". But, if the laws stand in other cities, I figure we won't be far behind. Gives 'em another tool...
Yeah I like the fact that Destination has spread things out more, helps keeps the crowds down a little bit and I think it is easier for some of the vendors to setup out there. I have seen the Daytona PD pull guys off of Main Street and ticket them for loud pipes, but those are the guys who are going up and down Main at a snails pace cracking the throttle.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:18 AM
bezoar
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy that stinks. Lived and rode in Den-Co for years and never a problem. Guess it's time to skirt the city limits when traveling through--unless Aurora has it too :-/.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Here's the reply that I got to an email that I sent them prior to our Colorado Ride.

The law requires all motorcycles to have and approved EPA approved muffler stamp. The stamp is located under the muffler and has clear engraved writing. Officers of the Denver Police Department are inspecting loud pipes with aggressive riders. So if you like to bring attention to your self by accelerating rapidly, with aggressive throttle advancement creating a loud noise in our neighborhoods were families and children are present, than you can expect a violation. If you ride with the respect of others and you ride in a quiet and safe manor than you should be fine.

Officer Jim Pelloni 01074
Denver Police Department
Neighborhood Enforcement Team
Motorcycle Unit
720-865-6944[/align]
Based on this officer's statement, they are not really targeting all motorcycles that have aftermarket exhaust. Just the ones with riders that act like idiots. If you fall in the idiot catagory, you deserve a ticket. You are making things bad for all of us. It's the idiots that bring attention to themselves that get these kind of laws passed to start with.

All of you that have bragged about setting off car alarms in parking lots, we have you to thank for these kinds of laws. Keep up the good work.

Bill

Old 09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
fiddlefadel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in the Denver Area, I understand this ordinance to target the city of Denver only. How many of us ride in downtown Denver? As I read it, the Denver suburbs are not affected, Aurora,Thornton,Northglenn, etc.

So It could be worse. Most of the towns out here have "noise ordinance" signs posted, but unless you bring attention to yourself, we have no problems.

I have a Std fatCat on my Fat Boy and SE Street Legal Performance Mufflers on my '07 RG. I carry a copy of the "Street Legal" page from my instuctions from the SE mufflerswith my paperwork.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Having been around fora few years now, I was just thinking about the numbers. When I started riding in 1961, a loud motorcycle was a minor annoyance to some people, but nothing to complain about really. I seem to think the U.S. had about 180 million population then. Now, we are over 300 Million folks. So if in 1961 the ocassional motorhead rapped his pipes at an intersection it was no big deal. Today, it happens a lot more frequently because there are more of them and its is more popular too. The cacophony of life is greater now then it was then, and so irritating noises become more felt. My particular gripe is with the jerks who drive 4x4 diesel pickups with 4" straight exhaust pipes blowing black smoke all over me, not to mention the noise. Why should I put up with THAT? How considerate is the jerk who drives it? Not very. [:'(]