Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver CO Exhaust Crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Denver CO Exhaust Crackdown

It's not just Denver.... They're also starting to crack down in So California also...

San Diego County
Riverside County (Temecula - Corona area)
Orange County (Most Beach Cities)
LA County (Some Beach Cities)

JUST FOR STARTERS...

Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm no fan of excessively loud pipes, but I want my bike to run right. Putting on modified stock pipes (from ebay) gives me a nice compromise, and they have the necessary stamping to pass as originals.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: lsc86

"We the people of the united steralized neutered government controlled states"......

What a joke. Illegal immigrants causing havoc with our medical and school systems, out of control war in the middle east, poverty, natural disaster devastation recovery issues, over crowded prisons full of violent offenders, meth dealers in our high schools and we want to start targeting 'loud pipes' on motorcycles.....oh yeah, I forgot, writing tickets to the working class American is the only way to ensure revenue to our government agencies, fighting crime and solving issues doesn't make them any money....twisted world we live in.
Well Said!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Here's the reply that I got to an email that I sent them prior to our Colorado Ride.

The law requires all motorcycles to have and approved EPA approved muffler stamp. The stamp is located under the muffler and has clear engraved writing. Officers of the Denver Police Department are inspecting loud pipes with aggressive riders. So if you like to bring attention to your self by accelerating rapidly, with aggressive throttle advancement creating a loud noise in our neighborhoods were families and children are present, than you can expect a violation. If you ride with the respect of others and you ride in a quiet and safe manor than you should be fine.

Officer Jim Pelloni 01074
Denver Police Department
Neighborhood Enforcement Team
Motorcycle Unit
720-865-6944[/align]
This is probably the most "real world" answer you'll get. Fourty years ago when I first started coming to Bike Week here in Daytona we had attendence of about 60,000. If 10% of us (6,000) ran straight pipes it made noise & disturbed the locals. Now that Bike Week nears 600,000 when 10% (60,000) of us run straight pipes it *really* disturbes the locals (that now include me)! We are, at times, our own worst enemies.

Here, the community is moving the entertainment venues out to the outskirts of town (Ormond Beach & Destination Daytona) & planting "Ride Quiet" signs. The signs are up year 'round, & I suspect it won't be long 'till enforcement gets severe.

I suspect that if you ride with a little sense, exhaust sound won't be much problem. But, you get what you earn..................

Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

*sigh* You're right. Me putting on drag pipes a year ago is the reason Denver (and others) came out with this law.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Here's the reply that I got to an email that I sent them prior to our Colorado Ride.

The law requires all motorcycles to have and approved EPA approved muffler stamp. The stamp is located under the muffler and has clear engraved writing. Officers of the Denver Police Department are inspecting loud pipes with aggressive riders. So if you like to bring attention to your self by accelerating rapidly, with aggressive throttle advancement creating a loud noise in our neighborhoods were families and children are present, than you can expect a violation. If you ride with the respect of others and you ride in a quiet and safe manor than you should be fine.

Officer Jim Pelloni 01074
Denver Police Department
Neighborhood Enforcement Team
Motorcycle Unit
720-865-6944[/align]
This pretty much says what I have said all along. To me, it says that as long as you aren't doing something stupid, the cops will leave you alone. It's just like novelty helmets. There's a helmet law in my state, but it is not strictly enforced, meaning that as long as your head is covered by a helmet of any type (DOT or not) you generally won't get pulled over. Now, if you are riding like an idiot, rapping on your pipes in downtown Royal Oak (MI) and disturbing all the coffee-sippers outside of Starbucksyou WILL get pulled over and get a ticket for a novelty helmet.

I believe that once the law is officially on the books, the people that pushed for it will have their little victory to feel good about, but I also believe that it will be selectively enforced.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Here, the community is moving the entertainment venues out to the outskirts of town (Ormond Beach & Destination Daytona) & planting "Ride Quiet" signs. The signs are up year 'round, & I suspect it won't be long 'till enforcement gets severe."

Whena similar ordinance hitDaytona a few years ago everyone get excited aboutit and thoughtthat it would be the end of bikeweek and biketoberfest. In reality the idiots who are getting the tickets are the ones who constantly rev their bikes and attract as much attention as they can. I've never seen a cop pull over a rider with loud pipes who wasn't drawing attention to themselves intentionally.

As for Bruce Rossmeyer drawing a lot of action up to Destination Daytona, that was a different beef he had with the city of Daytona. They were cracking down on how many vendors and what not he could have at his store during bikeweek. So he makes such a big event at Destination, which I have to admit it is a pretty nice setup.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

*sigh* You're right. Me putting on drag pipes a year ago is the reason Denver (and others) came out with this law.
Nice of you to step up & take responsibility.........8^) 'Course my point was that if you have loud pipes, but ride responsibly, it won't be much problem. It's the ALWAYS LOUD crowd that creats the problem. Of course they're called "drag pipes" for a reason................

Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

"Here, the community is moving the entertainment venues out to the outskirts of town (Ormond Beach & Destination Daytona) & planting "Ride Quiet" signs. The signs are up year 'round, & I suspect it won't be long 'till enforcement gets severe."

Whena similar ordinance hitDaytona a few years ago everyone get excited aboutit and thoughtthat it would be the end of bikeweek and biketoberfest. In reality the idiots who are getting the tickets are the ones who constantly rev their bikes and attract as much attention as they can. I've never seen a cop pull over a rider with loud pipes who wasn't drawing attention to themselves intentionally.

As for Bruce Rossmeyer drawing a lot of action up to Destination Daytona, that was a different beef he had with the city of Daytona. They were cracking down on how many vendors and what not he could have at his store during bikeweek. So he makes such a big event at Destination, which I have to admit it is a pretty nice setup.
Part of the restraint shown by the cops was due to the former sheriff, who convinced the community that our dollars were worth a little inconvenience. Worked through the 80's & 90's, but with the increased size of the event you have to admit Daytona was runnin' out of room downtown. I actually like the way things are goin'. The US-1 corridor & Rossmeyers Destination Daytona gives more room for the events, yet relieves some of the conjestion downtown. Main Street will survive, the Ocean Center will still host shows, the beach ain't goin' anywhere, & some of the races will still be at the track (& some will be at The Patch).

I expect they'll still show restraint about ticketing pipes unless as you say "they're drawing attention to themselves". But, if the laws stand in other cities, I figure we won't be far behind. Gives 'em another tool...

Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM
lsc86
Tourer

hdman1216- no reason to call names. If you have something insightful to share, please do. I've been through way too many legal battles in regards to snowmobile, atv, and watercraft user rights in the past 20 years my friend. I know how these things play out and 9.5 times out of 10, powersports users lose the battle. The 'police yourself & that will appease them mantra' doesn't work. Those against powersports in general will never compromise, they want it their way and their way only.

The Denver officer's response is, IMO, fair. However, will all officers in Denver take that view? Without documented federally approved db testing methods, you'll never have a fair system in place. There will always be some irritated officer that hands out tickets and even if your pipes are stamped, quiet, etc., you'll have to either bite the bullet and just pay it or take a day off work, hire a lawyer, and try to fight it. Either way, you lose.

Slowly but surely, especially in regards to activities that the safety ***** in governmnet don't condone, our rights get stripped away. Whether it is free and equal access to ~public~ land for OHV, hunting, , camping, etc. or cracking down on water access for boats or pushing helmet laws and 'tough' noise restrictions on motorcycles, every year the government(s) get more entwined in our lives. If you feel these continued intrusions are ok, just don't blame me when you look back and wonder what the heck happened to all the activities you once enjoyed and why those rights were taken away.

Bottom line is that there are far more urgent matters in this country, and abroad, to address by our government bodies. Unfortunately our current political and cultural climate would rather stick its collective head in the sand and focus on meaningless minutia.

So while I may not chose to run straight pipes [or any other exhaust for that matter] on my bike, hats off to those that still have the freedom to do so.

Quick Reply: Denver CO Exhaust Crackdown