Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H big radius exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:21 AM
newby
|
Cruiser
Default V&H big radius exhaust

I'm playing around with the idea of putting Vance & Hine Big Radius exhaust on my 07 ultra. Saw something similar on HotRod Baggers site. Ant thoughts or comments?

Old 09-05-2007 | 11:13 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: V&H big radius exhaust

Right now American Iron has a special edition on the newstands with many great articles from Donny Peterson, including several on exhaust and what makes it work. Putting on pipes larger than 1 3/4" will be detrimental to your performance on stock Harley engines, according to him. This article was written in March 2005, and he does use 95 cubic inches as kind of a break even point on exhaust diameter. Build an engine bigger than that, and exhaust should also be larger diameter.

He is also 100% against True Duals. His exact quote is: "In my humble opinion, I must ask how it is possible that they can cause an increase in horsepower."
It's a $5 mag, but well worth the money. It's called Great Weekend Projects.

Old 09-05-2007 | 01:16 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Right now American Iron has a special edition on the newstands with many great articles from Donny Peterson, . . .He is also 100% against True Duals. His exact quote is: "In my humble opinion, I must ask how it is possible that they can cause an increase in horsepower."
I've also read from those "In the Know" that the stock 07 headers are actually the best to have on a stock/mild setup. Slip ons are a different story of course.

Old 09-05-2007 | 01:22 PM
tizone
Tourer

I had the Big Radius setup on an 05 Fatboy. Great looking pipes and sound mean.... but I wouldn't put them on my Ultra. The Big Radius pipes were easily costing me an average of $50 per month in tickets for noise. They are LOUD!

Old 09-05-2007 | 01:43 PM
newby
|
Cruiser

Thanks, I'll pick one up

Old 09-05-2007 | 01:44 PM
newby
|
Cruiser

So what, go with Rhinehart slipons? I have screaming eagles on it now and they just don't have the sound I'm after

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:13 PM
ianchris1
Tourer

Those things (Big Radius) look horrible on a bagger IMO. If you have a classy looking dresser, why try to make it look like a softail? Get something nice to compliment the bike. There are so many systems out there that are probably better quality with better performance and sound. I am not saying be like everyone else and don't get something unique, but still... better options exist.

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:18 PM
newby
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the input, I have already started to look at better options. What do you think of slip on vs. true duals?

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:26 PM
ianchris1
Tourer

You might want to check out the T-Rex true duals. Those are bigger than most out there (3" I think) and look really clean. I belive you will get better performance out of a slip-on with your stock header pipes though. I was told that in the regular RPM range there is improved throttle response and torque. Only at the top end (ie wide open) do the true duals out perform. I can't say whether that is true though. Personally I don't care about performance, but that is just me. Look at dragspecialties.com or jpcycles.com for a wide range of exhaust options with some pictures. Might help you pick something out. Find the look you want first then narrow it down from there based on sound and performance. JMO. You have a great bike there, take your time to make it even better!

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:30 PM
newby
|
Cruiser

Thanks, I'll do that. The more I listen the more I think I'll just go with a stage 1 upgrade with open intake and different slip-on's. By the way, there is another color; Black-Pearl!

Quick Reply: V&H big radius exhaust