Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BULK TURBO BUY...........Anyone!??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
continentaldrifter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BULK TURBO BUY...........Anyone!??

Anyone interested in presenting Thrask http://www.turboyourharley.com/turboKits.aspwith a bulk buy. If we can get 10 riders that want to wick the throttle and actually feel the difference and join together to get a nice discount,lets see...............

Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BULK TURBO BUY...........Anyone!??

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Holy crap - how long do you expect your engine to hold up with a turbo boost??? (Perhaps this was a joke.)

Old 09-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

turbo's are much nicer to the engine than superchargers or nitrous...however he's not gonna get many taker here

Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
continentaldrifter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dollar per dollar,this is the most efficient kit to increase horsepower while not doin heads,jugs,pistons,pipes,tuners,and all the nickel/dime stuff. I know there no replacement for displacement but for a bagger to do a 3000 mile trip and not worry about throwing a rod from a little burnout in Oregon, it seems a turbo has its advantages stacked up against the typical engine build. Then selling the bike,remove turbo and install factory pipes....done deal. Just lookin for a few guys who like to live on the wot side of the stage and save a few bucks doin it,thats all......

Turbocharging is the best and most cost effective way to producing rideable, smooth horsepower. Ease on the drive train results in minimal drive train upgrades. Reliability of the stock engine is retained until boost is applied. You could effectively ride around all day without getting in the boost, so fuel economy and reliability will not be compromised.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Turbos are not without their own set of problems: Melted pistons, chunks blown off the crown, excessive wear, heat, HEAT, moreHEAT,oil feed and return lines, rebuilding said turbo when the seals and/or bearings go, trying to get a fuel map dialed in without destroying the motor, etc. I would never consider a blow through carb turbo for anything but an interesting hack mod on a cheap motor you don't mind blowing or _maybe_ on a drag only motor where you really only have one throttle spot to worry about. But then, on a drag vehicle, you are planning on blowing that motor anyway. Also, starting out with a high compression motor like the TC's have and adding boost is dangerous. Not that you can't do it, but really, 5PSI is probably all you can safely do, and with an air cooled motor that will likely get dangerous as well. You could ride 3000 miles, do a burnout and have just as much or more of a chance of destroying your motor than if you built it up normally aspirated for the same money.

Not that turbos aren't FUN, but More Boost = More Fun = More $. You really need to build the entire motor from scratch to handle the boost: Forged low compression pistons, nikasil coated liners, super-well-developed fuel maps, etc.

Magestic Turbo in Waco, TX has a LOT of experience turbocharging Harley drag bikes. I saw some of their 600+ HP bikes.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what would the price be if purchased in a group? Since they are already $5k, it's well outside of my reach right now anyways, but it would be interesting to hear.

Plus for that price, even for $4k, can't you do a pretty strong 95" build pushing similar numbers? It's not that expensive to get the heads ported, cylinders bored out, new pistons, and remapping the SERT or PCIII (or whatever fuel management you have). You could get the parts for around $1500 (probably under $1k if you shop around), and another $1500-2000 to have someone install the parts for you.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: continentaldrifter

Anyone interested in presenting Thrask http://www.turboyourharley.com/turboKits.aspwith a bulk buy. If we can get 10 riders that want to wick the throttle and actually feel the difference and join together to get a nice discount,lets see...............

I have built hundreds of turbo motorcycles in my
40+ years of working on motorcycles and building
racingmotorcycle engines.

My experience with Harley's is limited as I have done
mostly 4 cylinder bikes. But I can tell you the best turbo
kit out there for a street Harley is the Aero Tech Turbo.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/a...rbo-13540.html

I haven't put one on since 1998 around the time they
first came out but I can tell you they put all others I've
tried on Harley's to shame. They act much more like a
blower then a turbo with instant throttle responce with
almost no turbo lag at all. They are alot cheaper then
most all the others to boot, somewhere right around
$3000.00 depending on the dealer you choose..

IMHO it is worth a look if your planning on going
with a turbo charger!!

Good Luck and enjoy what ever you choose to do!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never ever again.....not for me.......

Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default TURBO

All the below have very good points. I do not think a Garret turbo without an inner cooler is a very wise investment. Great looks and inner coolers are not in the same sentence. [ol][*]Dr.Hess “I would never consider a blow through carb turbo for anything but an interesting hack mod on a cheap motor” is absolutely correct.[*]Bryan TTM., great points. [/ol]Before you invest first read what you are getting yourself into. A great place to start is RB racing. This guy is too cranky to tell you any lies. Will flip you off in a second, so before calling read what is on his site. Do not waste his time, look at his prices before hand. He has way too much stuff to do than to BS for the fun of it. Turbo’s are great! Like anything great, there is a cost (think before and after marriage, great stuff hu?).

To be sure, you must: [ul][*]Build an engine for a turbo.[*]Lots of heat -LOTS[*]You must run an inner cooler. Without one, you are pissing in the wind[*]You must run EFI.[*]A lot of stuff is also necessary like plumbing, tabs, and much of your own R&D.[*]No bolt on and go.[*]This is the stuff they do not tell you.[*]If you want a bike that is a turbo, for looks only, than no inner cooler is OK but you will be found out by the real motorcycle people quickly.
[/ul]Be prepared if you want a turbo to be right or your bike will be in the corner and you will be discussed, read before jumping in. [ul][*]For 1 ½ times your displacement[*]great throttle response[*]a sh*t load of torque[*]great fuel mileage (unless you actually use the turbo but at that time who cares about gas mileage),[*]beat everyone on earth unless they are using a blower, 5% (turbo) parasitic loss verses 50%(blower) with poorer fuel mileage in the case of the blower as it is always engaged.[*]a lot of time on your hands[*]love motorcycles[/ul]Than a turbo may be for you. They are not simple. Be aware and be educated. By the way, I will buy one sometime in my life. I think right now a R&R 155ci needs one. How about you?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Holy crap - how long do you expect your engine to hold up with a turbo boost??? (Perhaps this was a joke.)
The question about how long something will last coming from a guy with a picture of hisGoldwing 4 feet in the air!! Love it!![sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Quick Reply: BULK TURBO BUY...........Anyone!??