Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch to Thunderheader?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 PM
BikerDawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch to Thunderheader?

Recently put Vance & Hines Oval slip-ons on my SG. Although the pipes have a great look andare well madeI am not satisfied with the sound (volume is too tame for me). Thinking of switching to Thunderheader. Can I expect much of a difference insound/volume with these?

Thanks!

Brian

Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts
Default RE: Switch to Thunderheader?

You'll get the sound (and performance) you want. You can even opt for the false pipe on the left to balance out the look. The one from the factory is pretty much false. Maybe 20 % of the exhaust finds it's way down there. It's for looks only. I can't see any added benefit having one pipe come off the frt cyl and have two split off the back (other than for looks of course)

Old 09-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

You'll get the sound (and performance) you want. You can even opt for the false pipe on the left to balance out the look. The one from the factory is pretty much false. Maybe 20 % of the exhaust finds it's way down there. It's for looks only. I can't see any added benefit having one pipe come off the frt cyl and have two split off the back (other than for looks of course)
Don't jump the gun too fast here! I've noticed some interesting things with the Oval's. A few friends had them on Road Kings (2005's both), and they were very deep and loud (stock 88"). However, I went riding with Hartick last weekend, and he has an 07 SG with the Oval's. Maybe my hearing is going, but his pipes just sounded quieter than the older bikes (which I found interesting, as he has an 07 with a 96"!)

My point to this is because the Oval's were quieter on the new bikes, the Thunderheaders might be as well (after all, they are a different model pipe for 07 and newer bikes). It's a tough call since I haven't heard the 'Headers on an 07 bike yet.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I Installed Thunderheaders on my Bike a Couple of Months ago and if anything the Sound is Louder

Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride with a Motorcycle club that has two members with '07 SG with the the Thunderheaders and trust me those things are LOUD!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Doesn't VH have two versions of those ovals?
Don't ever think I was saying anything bad about VH. Awesome product!!!
I happen to like the T/H. Is it better than a Propipe? According to the #'s.
But we all know, it's the tuner.
The wife's Heritage has the VH Straight shots with the slash cut tips. More for looks and sound. What a sound !!! They have that raspy ol' Shovelhead crack to em. I'd say her bike lacks low & mid range perf because of them. Little or no back pressure to them babies (hence the name "Straigh-Shots" - they're not kidding) She likes them though.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the sound of my '07 with the V&H ovals. Nice and deep, sounds-off nicely when the throttle is whacked, and not so loud at highway speeds that your brain is jangled after a couple of hours.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Thunderheaders (not pictured)and I will never have another pipe on my bike.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

I have Thunderheaders (not pictured)and I will never have another pipe on my bike.
I could not agree more. The more I ride, the better I like it. I can hardley wait till I add a set of cams in November.

Joe

Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe he is talking about the Thunderheader slip-ons not the 2-1 Thunderheader,But I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.

The Thunderheaders are alot louder then the V&H for sure without a doubt. If I was going to have slip-ons it would be the Thunderheaders. My dad has them on his 02 Road King and they sound awesome. My 2-1 sounds like his but just not as loud.