Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For JMJOHN

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
nelsonrl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For JMJOHN

Just checked mine is a "HS" headset purchased on 8-7. Installed 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Forum Members ,,,,,

when you use the standard J&M AeroMike III on the Harley system ,,, you would run the vox sensitivity about two blocks of adjustment back from being locked on to the right (2006-2008 system) or vox position 12 for the 1998-2005 systems,,,,,, and it works very, very well in that position ,,,,,,, we have used them on the Harley systems for years ,,,,

the problem is, is when you try and mix one Harley brand headset and one J&M brand headset on the same bike at the same time ,,,, then the vox settings for the two willl be incompatible ,,,,,,

now don't laugh ,, but there are alot of Harley riders who do NOT know how to adjust the intercom vox sensitivity settings on their system ,,, and those are the ones who really have problems ,,,,,,

the new -HO AeroMike III from J&M has a higher-output AeroMike that more closely matches the signal output from the Harley brand mike so that you can mix and match them on the same bike without problems ,,,,,,,

JMJOHN ,.,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

you can identify the J&M AeroMike III -HO model ,,,, compared to the standard model, by the color of the plastic with the holes in it that you talk into (Blue is the -HO mike, black is the standard mike))

to really see the difference ,,,, I have pasted two of the headsets below from our website at www.jmcorp.com ,,,,,, one standard and one high-output model ,,,,,

Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
nelsonrl
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

Forum Members ,,,,,

when you use the standard J&M AeroMike III on the Harley system ,,, you would run the vox sensitivity about two blocks of adjustment back from being locked on to the right (2006-2008 system) or vox position 12 for the 1998-2005 systems,,,,,, and it works very, very well in that position ,,,,,,, we have used them on the Harley systems for years ,,,,

the problem is, is when you try and mix one Harley brand headset and one J&M brand headset on the same bike at the same time ,,,, then the vox settings for the two willl be incompatible ,,,,,,

now don't laugh ,, but there are alot of Harley riders who do NOT know how to adjust the intercom vox sensitivity settings on their system ,,, and those are the ones who really have problems ,,,,,,

the new -HO AeroMike III from J&M has a higher-output AeroMike that more closely matches the signal output from the Harley brand mike so that you can mix and match them on the same bike without problems ,,,,,,,

JMJOHN ,.,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,
John,
I am using two sets of J&M headsets and still have to speak much loader than I did when I was using the stock headsets and have the VOX adjusted as you state. This is not a VOX setting or an issue with mixed brands of headsets. Mine are both as shown in the bottom picture. It is simply to much of a strain on your voice to want to use the intercom with this headset as it. Again, this not a VOX adjustment or using two different brands or even models of headsets. The particular headsets I have simply do not work well on my bike.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just use PTT for most communications. Ocassionally my wife and I will use the VOX feature at slower speeds in the mountains. The sets on the Harmon Cardon setup are better than the Radiosound unit on my 02 Ultra. At higher speeds the wind opens the circuit frequently and so we use PTT. Not a lot of effort to do that.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

goodbirds ,,,,,,

one of the advantages of the J&M mike over the Harley mike ((std or -HO model)) is that once you get the vox sensitivity adjustment correct for the headsets that you are using ,,,, the wind or ambient noise from the motorcycle will not false trigger the intercom like the Harley brand mikes do ,,,,,,

understand that I have had a new Ultra every year since 1989 and I ride often testing J&M headsets on the system to make sure we offer the best product available ,,,,,

I splice the J&M speakers to the Harley microphone so that I can hear exactly the differences between the Harley mikes and the J&M mikes ,,, so I know exactly how they respond to the vox circuits and what the ambient and wind noise comparisions are ,,, even with louder or modified exhaust ,,,,

and there is NO comparision between the J&M headsets and the Harley brand headsets ,,, the J&M's are a very significant improvement on the system and this is not a bashing of the Harley brand headset, only a summary of the major differences and benefits of the J&M brand headsets ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've tried the Chatterbox and my buddy has HD headsets. I've used J&M for yrs on multiple bikes and the sound quality is far superior to the others.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 AM
nelsonrl
Cruiser

Sound quality is much better on the J&M - no doubt about it. That said, I will probably go back to harley because of the VOX issues. The harley system is designed to be able to talk without using the PTT buttons, the J&M does not allow me to do that. I will not spend another $160 to make these work properly.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having a hard time hearing ya????

Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks John, I will set up the S/O's headset with the lower cord (HZ) this weekend. If the vox issue still exists I'll spring for the new mic's. The sound quality is just too good to go back to the H-D setup. I'll use the H-D headsets on my Blue Knight helmet, which seeslimited use

Quick Reply: For JMJOHN