Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax/HD Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 PM
VicDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ThunderMax/HD Warranty

Did a search and could notfind an answer (I'm sure it's here, butI couldn't find it) Does anyone know if installing a ThunderMax impacts the HD warranty on a new bike? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ThunderMax/HD Warranty

according to some dealers installing anything impacts the waranty. Use the search engine here you will get more threads than you can read

Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

From what ive heard it could trash warrenty on engine. Im having a stage one with a sert done by the dealer cause they said it would only affect warrentya little(mainlytop end of engine) ifTHEY did it.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They didn't try to sell you some ocean front property in Aizona did they. Just kidding some people will tell you anything[&o]

Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Hey Vicdawg
Hoping this may help.
a) go to www.thunder-max.com
b) go to support ( grey toolbox ) across page
c) go to FAQ
d) scroll down to point No 9 ( it has a small disclaimer in regards to warranty )
e) as far as warranty goes if you sit on your scoot with dirty jeans some dealers will say that you have voided your warranty.Mine actually said if I didnt wash it regular it would be frowned upon for warranty purposes. ( I'm telling the truth )
GlennsGlide

Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: GlennsGlide

Hey Vicdawg
Hoping this may help.
a) go to www.thunder-max.com
b) go to support ( grey toolbox ) across page
c) go to FAQ
d) scroll down to point No 9 ( it has a small disclaimer in regards to warranty )
e) as far as warranty goes if you sit on your scoot with dirty jeans some dealers will say that you have voided your warranty.Mine actually said if I didnt wash it regular it would be frowned upon for warranty purposes. ( I'm telling the truth )
GlennsGlide
They also have this disclaimer under 'legal Info': "The ThunderMax EFI controller is not legal for use or installation on motor vehicles operated on public highways in the State of California or other States where similar emission control laws may apply."

Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I wanted to try to getthe blessing from my dealer due mainly to the fact there is 6 years left on warrenty. I dont mind letting them do the sestage I,sert,dyno.Dealer was fine withparts online and Ido most all my own work so for this situation it was fine for a little piece of mind.

Just hang out at your faverit deal and see how well they will work with ya

Old 09-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that installing the Thundermax would void any warranty that could be related to the ECM. So if you blow your motor, it won't be covered under warranty because they'll say it was due to the Thundermax. However, if your brakes screw up or something like that, they will still be covered under warranty because they are not effected by the ECM. So the Thundermax will void your warranty on anything that can be traced to the ECM. That is my understanding.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
VicDawg
Cruiser

From what I've read here and other past posts, itlooks like, though the ThunderMax seems to be the better prooduct, that risking the warranty on the most expensive part of the bike (the engine) is just too much ask for the percieved difference. It looks like if you are under warranty and want to add some degree of performance that the SERT is the safest route that still protects your warranty coverage. Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 395 Posts

Respectfully, in my experience, the warranty aint worth the paper its printed on anyway. Others will dispute and consider the warranty almost a sacred text and just love their local dealer [Heck, I've got a friend who just beamed with ecstasy after telling me how the dealer was kind enough to let him pay a year in advance for service (gee whizz what a hypnosis job)]. I myself could not stand to ride my bike as delivered - it was pitiful. Looking at it at idle, it reminded me of a starving mangy fox with one bleeding foot in a steel trap, stretching in pain to the end of the chain in vain for a chicken bone just out of reach. The dealer's response: Looking up from filing her nails, the service manager popped a gum bubble in my face and said "Can't help you, Sweetheart, it's the EPA's fault - but can I interest you in a T-Shirt?" My advice: don't ride something terribly out-of-tune for 2 years afraid of offending a vague worthless document. Pop for the Tmax, relieve your bike's pain, and ride it like you stole it.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax/HD Warranty