Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander vs download from hd

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Big Peter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power commander vs download from hd

ORIGINAL: miltflhx

Just received rinehart true duals for my 07 street glide from eastern performance cycles, great deal, $699. Going to have my local hd dealer install. They quoted me 1 to 2 hrs @ $75 an hr. Also se ac kit plus the download. Charging $150 for download. Is the download from my dealer ok? ShouldI be able to ride my bike out of there with no problems? They told me it is ageneric download and my ecm figures it out.Or should I go with power commander? Do you gain any gas mileage,horsepower,or throttle response with the power commander vs the download from my dealer? Need advice onwhat route to go.
Forget what the dealer said and go for the PC111
SERT will make changes to the factory settings, but when you
disconnect the PC111 the bike goes back to stock.
Also forget about the SE AC, go for the Arlen Ness Big Sucker aircleaner.
You don't need a mecanic, you can install these goodies yourself.
Look for the right (software) map for your configuration
on www.powercommander.com and tell the dealer to install this map for you.

Good luck !

Peter (Netherlands)
'99 RKC
S&S 510G cams gear drive
SE pro performance exhausts
PC111 USB
AN Big Sucker aircleaner

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: gibbyair

it does get very confusing. Ive been doing same research on which fuel sys to go with. how much is the pc111 u been looking at? I have several buddies at work that have either done the SERT or the HD down load. The guy with the SERT says it runs great except when bike it cold it will cough and almost stall out. but once engine warms up its great. The guy w/down load says it is working for him. he has stage 1 and bassini (sp?)pipes..the sert guy has reinharts and stage 1. Just when I thought I had it all figured out I read more and gets confusing. PC111 seems to be best bang for buck. use caned map and run for while..It will run fine. but later if you want to tweak it and get extra dollars get a dyno. I find the local bike nights help out alot. speak with guys there and see what they have done.
I installed a PCIII before I read all these posts. I also talked with the service dept. at a dealer and they are selling the download. They had negative things to say about the PCIII as I expected. They push HD parts only.

My bike is running great. No popping at all. I will be checking the MPG soon so I don't know what i'm getting yet. If I have any problems, I will stick the O2 sensors back in, remove the PCIII, and get the download. If I'm not happy then, I can always spend the BIG bucks and go with the Thundermax.

For now, it's PCIII all the way. Simple map downoad and install. Paid $289 shipped.

Steve

Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

Are others experiencing losses to fuel mileage with the pc111? I have talked to alot of people lately that have the hd download and love it, no problems what so ever. I do not know what to do. Can not live with a drop of 10 miles to the gallon.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got the pc111 and rinehart true duals installed... Fuel mileage has dropped from 45 to 35 miles per gallon. Pc111 was set up at fuel motto... Bike seems to run ok. But also did not notice any increase in performane like I thougt I should. Lots of money invested for no performance gain.
Maybe this pertains to your situation and maybe not. I'd put aftermarket mufflers on and ran around like that for a while before getting the PC / K&N from Jamie. When I installed them I lost mileage too. And it would hardly pull past 90 mph.

Turns out that by running the mufflers with the otherwise stock setup, the '07 Delphi ECU with its O2 sensors was increasing the fuel to the system because it auto-tunes within certain limits. When I put the other stuff on and took the O2 sensors off-line I was rich because the Delphi had auto-tuned the setup richer.

There are two ways to reset the auto-tuning. One is to visit the dealer or somebody with a "Digital Technician" to use to reset the "AFV" and the other is to simply put everything stock and ride normally for a short while (an hour or so ought to do it with plenty of room to spare).

Once I went the second route and put all the stuff back on (mufflers, airbox, PC) it's running like a raped ape now and pulls hard 'til I want to let off.

Just some food for thought.

I urged Jamie (fuelmoto) to make mention of the AFV on his site and in his instructions but he contends the changes aren't "remembered" between engine-running sessions. I know differently.

[edit: forgot to mention that mileage is now at the most 2 mpg less than all stock; it would likely be higher than stock if I didn't "enjoy" the extra oomph so much]

Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are they paying for the HD download? I have an 08UC and i am not interested in spending a fortune to upgrade but the download sounds interesting to me.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Somewheres in the neighborhood of $150.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:25 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

Glens
I'm confused on how to reset the auto tune. When you say to go back to stock, do you mean to reinstall the stock mufflers,air cleaner, and take off the power commander?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

The download is no where as good as any fuel management. I have a PCIII and have played, read, and learned over the past year. Mine runs great now but I couldn't say that a year ago....it pinged right outa the box. Mine does not ping now & I tuned it myself through ALOT of trial and error...fortunately the error part was easy enough to work through.
I've had 6 HDS & these '07 are under more scrutany from the EPA... so the emission and noise standards are more strict on 07s than say 04s. I had the download on several others and always had decel pop. The download probably has more to do with timing than AFR.
If you want quality ridability go with something other than the HD download....its not enough.
I would especially emphasize that for anyone trying to run true duals.

Additionally, I really can't speak on the other devices. If I had known more at the time I bought my PC I probably would have utilized something that uses the sensors or gone with DTT w/ autotune ability. I say this but then read about people that use thundermax and can't get rid of pinging. Finally, I will say I have called Dynojet (PC) several times with questions and their staff has been great. To reiterate...I believe my bike runs great nowwith a PC and the basic mods I've done (pipes/ Ac).

Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, yeah, particularly since there aren't any (EPA) downloads for the true duals and there aren't any "race" downloads for the '07 and beyond (to my knowledge).

There likely is some timing being addressed with the downloads but I'd put money on it being primarily changes to the VE tables (do they still increase the rev-limiter, too?).

When you say to go back to stock, do you mean to reinstall the stock mufflers,air cleaner, and take off the power commander?
Sorry to say, but "yes". It's either that or at the shop with the Digital Technician.

For no cost but perhaps an hour of your time (if just slip-on mufflers), put the stock peripherals all back on and either bypass the PC or put a zero map in it. Ride for a while at normal temperature in closed loop (the Buell (where we got the adaptive fuel, evidently) guys say 5 minutes at steady speed on the highway). Then put the other stuff all back on and it'll be peachy. I've "penned" at varying lengths elsewhere about how all this stuff works. I can't remember any thread in particular, though. Just search for posts by me with the key word "AFV".

One stern word of caution regarding the PC-III or any other piggyback fuelers which don't utilize the O2 sensors. Do not remove the O2 sensor bypass caps and put the sensors back on line. It will totally screw up your fueling situation and you'll have to reset the AFV again to use any sort of canned map. It's not worth the trouble unless you want to spend a lot of time with exhaust gas analyzing instrumentation to create a proper map that way.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just do not want to fart around in the garage on a laptop trying to get my bike to run better than the last ride i took. I found my bike to run great. I have had the crotch rockets and they were fun but i cruise now and i just want to go home and ride. I see all the bad talk about the downloads but all i want is stage 1 with minimal expense and i feel that if i am happy with the way it is now that the download might work better for me. I already have a truck,car,boat,house,wife,kids,investments,everyth ing insured, and a ton of bills and i'm only home 4 months out the year so not much time or money to play. So for me i think the download might just work. I have the slipons just need the ac and i can ride the **** out of that child support check.

Quick Reply: power commander vs download from hd