Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander vs download from hd

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power commander vs download from hd

I am not a mechanic, so thinking of having my local dealer install my rineharts, big sucker, andhave the harley download also. Then when I get home, Iwill install the power commander. I know this is going to cost a little extra, but actually curious to see how bike runs with hd download. Then can compare the two after the power commander install. Is this a safe way to go ?

Old 09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Milt-I have gone in circles about this and finely made a decision to just drop it off at dealer(dyno center) and let them install my parts(se pipes/air/sert) and run it on the dyno. I'm throwing in the towl and hopingtuner gets it right the first time. I can always work backwards and tweek the sert in my garage or go with something else later?? Going to ask for a copy of the tuners map and compare to some other maps.

more people not all in my searches have been to leary of the download. I was thinking seriously about doing that aswell. good luck,,,bike goes in friday.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 AM
miltflhx
Cruiser

Is anyone aware of bike to running to rich at idle with power commander? Read the article somewhere on internet, now I cant find it again. Something like in the 12:1 range. Not for sure if this is the correct number.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milt,

Like your idea...have the HD download and use the PCIII. Get caught out on the road and the PCIII breaks, then you can use the HD download as backup. Might cost a little more but you are covered. Also, you may find the HD download runs better with your setup. You will need to have someone look at the plugs after a few days to make sure the maps are good.

Ride safe,

Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
texan321
Road Captain

I bought a 2007 Lltra - had the Rinehart True duals, sert and se air cleaner installed - the dealer did the work and download. I got to thinking about it after I took it for the 1,000 mile - I took it to a guy that does Dyno's in this area - the download was spot on. Cost me HD but at least I know it is running properly.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: miltflhx

Is anyone aware of bike to running to rich at idle with power commander? Read the article somewhere on internet, now I cant find it again. Something like in the 12:1 range. Not for sure if this is the correct number.
The Nightrider site claims the EFI runs 12:1 at idle when PCIII O2 eliminators are used, so that may be where you saw it. I also mentioned it a few times here. I asked PC support about this and they weren't sure, but said 12:1 was not too rich for idle and was "typical." Sounds richer than I would like, actually, and if I found this to be true I would bump my A/F up in that range (leaner) in the interest of mileage.

This is just one more reason to buy some sort of A/F gauge. Wish I could find an economical one that uses either the stock narrow-band sensors or a wide-band like the Bosch LSU4.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:49 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

Itake my bike to hd dealer for all my service. Is it ok to leave power commander hooked up? I posted earlier about having hd download also. Is this a good idea? I can unplug pc while my bike is in for service, and plug pc back in when I get home.Also why do you do the 0% throttle when you first install the power commander?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

texan-You brought to dealer with the sert...and they did the download?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain

On research for upgrade to my 07 Ultra (first HD with computer and fuel injection) I decided to use V&H true duals, oval slip on mufflers and FuelPac. Texas does not have the restriction like California on the V&H FuelPac. My HD dealer did the installation and mapping. Warranty is not an issue since it is on record with them and they will honor my warranty issues. Accel is good and occassional minor pop on decel at around the 2000 - 2500 rpm. Been very pleased with the set up and no overall issues with its performance. A warranty issue was that I must continue to use the O2 sensors though. Reason I chose the fuelpac.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

dropped bike off this morning and had a chance to speak with dyno tech, He of cource was very optomistic and said a fuel mng(sert) with a dyno was the way to go. at least it felt good to hear

Quick Reply: power commander vs download from hd