Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander vs download from hd

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
miltflhx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power commander vs download from hd

Wow! The more I read the more confused I get. I just wanta good product that is going to help my bike run better,and not go overboard with money. I have my rineharts still in the box going on 2 weeks,trying to decide which way to go. I have talked to many different manufacturers, and of course there product is the best in the world. The guys at fuel motto have beengreat to talk with, and gotta love the Wisconsin accent,EH. So I am still leaning towards the power commander. Have also talked to guys at a small cycle shop that use the direct link software and dyno tune existing ecm on bike. About $400 more than going pc111 route. Maybe the dyno tuning route is the way to go? HELP

Old 09-08-2007, 02:25 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

All I can say is my experience with the PCIII has been excellent.

The ecm/Dyno tune route will be okay until you make the first change and then it is outdated. With the PCIII you call up fuel moto and say "I just changed my build to X-Y-Z" and a new map is in the mail. What's not to like? Not to mention the wealth of maps and information and help from others out here, that have the pciii too.

I vote for a PowerCommander. YMMV

Old 09-08-2007, 05:07 PM
02 king kong
Cruiser

Forget the stage 1 download. Do they still make that? Anyway you have a good system yourabout to install why not go with either the SE race tuner or the power commander either way your bike should be dyno after you have this done. your dealer should know this. it's not just a download and go. Just make sure who ever does it knows what their doing.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

Well here I go again. Am now down to power commander or v&h fuel pac. Love to get something with auto tune, dont have the funds. I've got about $400 to play with and still need airfilter. V& h uses 02 sensors, pc111 bypasses o2 sensors. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this? I just want to plug and play, and do install myself.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:02 PM
schoney
Tourer

miltflhx
I put a pcIII on my 99 king, after a lot of mind changing just like your doin. I chose a pc since the wrench doin the dyno tune on it was most familiar with it. I believe most all systems are no better the the wrench(person) setting them up. Even the best systems are no good if not installed properly. I have a ness big sucker and home made slip-ons with no other mods. I gained 10hp(71.71hp) and 10tq(79.8tq) over stock and have eliminated most all popping on decel. I woud do the same over again. Good luck on your decision.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

If I go the pc route do you have to get a dyno done? I know that will squeeze out every inch of power, but I am not that concerned with that. I just want an improvement over stock and no decel pop if possible. I hope to get a preloaded map from fuel moto, do install on bike, and ride on down the road with no further tuneing. Is this possible?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

milt- have asked this and done searches myself for the sert ive got in a box thats fixin to be installed this friday(se ac/se slip-ons). goin back and forth about trying a preload first or just throwin some money at the dealer and gettin it wright the first time[&:]

Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: miltflhx

If I go the pc route do you have to get a dyno done? I know that will squeeze out every inch of power, but I am not that concerned with that. I just want an improvement over stock and no decel pop if possible. I hope to get a preloaded map from fuel moto, do install on bike, and ride on down the road with no further tuneing. Is this possible?
Exactly. However, in order to do the install you do need a PC, ideally a laptop that you can put right beside the bike onlyt because you need to do one setting to set the 0% throttle and full throttle calibration. (If you don't have a laptop, you can do it with a tower PC and a long usb cable.)

Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: miltflhx

I just want an improvement over stock and no decel pop if possible. I hope to get a preloaded map from fuel moto, do install on bike, and ride on down the road with no further tuneing. Is this possible?
If you've posted previously with greater detail I don't see it. Must be on a previous page.

Assuming you've got an '07, along with a couple other assumptions (awaiting clarification) you should use the stock air-moving peripherals on a ride before installing (or at least loading a non-zeroed map in) the PC. You can save off the map that Jamie will install and put all zeros in the PC fuel/timing maps if you install it before reseting your AFV (by riding with the stock goods). Again, this is assuming the closed-loop-derived AFV (fueling factor) in the '07s (and '08s, no doubt) is something saved between engine run-times.

I'm currently under the impression (and investigating) the fueling factor is saved between rides and that if you don't reset it, if you've been running non-stock breathing stuff, before using the preloaded map then you'll not be getting great performance or good mileage. It should matter little if you get a dyno tune, but hopefully you could either reset the AFV yourself or the tuner has a Digital Tech that he can use to reset it. Either way, the resultant map would be much more shareable.

Once I determine conclusively how the AFV is handled and how Jamie handles it on his end I'll report my findings.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:28 AM
gibbyair
Cruiser

it does get very confusing. Ive been doing same research on which fuel sys to go with. how much is the pc111 u been looking at? I have several buddies at work that have either done the SERT or the HD down load. The guy with the SERT says it runs great except when bike it cold it will cough and almost stall out. but once engine warms up its great. The guy w/down load says it is working for him. he has stage 1 and bassini (sp?)pipes..the sert guy has reinharts and stage 1. Just when I thought I had it all figured out I read more and gets confusing. PC111 seems to be best bang for buck. use caned map and run for while..It will run fine. but later if you want to tweak it and get extra dollars get a dyno. I find the local bike nights help out alot. speak with guys there and see what they have done.

Quick Reply: power commander vs download from hd