Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander vs download from hd

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM
tna1000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: power commander vs download from hd

I have been looking into doing something to mine as well so this question comes at a good time. My question though is do the fuel management systems (pcIII or other) need to be configured differently for different altitudes. I live at 600 ft above sea level in north alabama and in 3 hours of riding can be at 6000 ft.Most of my rinding is of this nature. My interpretation is that you need to constantly configure some of these systems which is not what I want to do. I want to RIDE. I am also under the assumption that with the HD download it is all set for you. Can someone shed some light on this for me. Just for reference I have a forcewinder a/c, vance& hines true duals, and vance & hines ovals with a drilled out baffle. Thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 AM
miltflhx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to go with the download from harley for now. Can they actually have a download that is going to harm my bike? My dealer says they have not had one complaint with the download, I have to believe them. I plan on going with something that has the auto tune in the future, just dont have the cash right now.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:26 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Travis, you need to look at the specs for thewideband devices, they probablydo some realtime adjusments for sealevel, temperature etc variables. the PCiii won't do that. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference, but it might make some. I've seen it written out here that on any given dyno you can get as much as a 10% variation for just such factors (and others) for those types of variables.

The wideband auto-tune devices are the future, no doubt about it. I have a PCiii now and happy with the performance, but I will probably upgrade sometime to the DTT which seems to get rave reviews from many out here.

check ou tthis thread. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2160417/tm.htm

Gorgeous bike by the way!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its as simple as NO. Here's why, Harley put a bike like yours on a dyno with their slipon mufflers and their air cleaner then built the stage 1 map for that setup. So unless you have that setup, then your waisting your time and money, you wouldnt buy a pcIII and run a map for parts other than what you have would you? If you want to use harley buy a SERT and then have it dynoed to get the best performance. or buy a PCIII and use a map if they have one for your exact setup or have it dynotuned.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
tna1000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess after thinking about it I see that the download from Harley cant really self adjust. I assume that the only way that is possible is with oxygen sensors which I dont have. I have looked at both the pcIII and the fuelpak and considering I have 2 V&H parts on the bike now I think the fuelpak will be good in my situation. I dont plan on any future motor upgrades so I should be set. RIGHT??

BTW Thanks for the for complimant and all the help.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldhippie

ORIGINAL: Firetender

I use the dealer Stage II download as a "limp-home" mode should my PCIIIusb fail. The difference between the dealer download and the PCIII are night-and-day: No 4-wheel-drive feel upon de-acceleration, crispthrottle performance, smoother running through the powerband, nearly total elimination of popping or backfiring, easier starting and a cooler running engine.
I agree completely with all the positive things you said about the PCIIIusb, but you lost me on the "no 4-wheel-drive feel upon deceleration". What do you mean by that? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
With the HD Stage II download, upon decelleration (at speed, off the throttle) the engine would wind down like a jeep in 4-wheel-drive mode when you get off the gas pedal - a feel like the engine is still running, but running down. With the PCIII-usb added, the throttle quiets down right away once released - like a jeep in 2-wheel drive mode when you get off the gas pedal - a silent slow-down.

If I did it all over again (with a 2002-and-up FLH) I'd wait, save some more money (or shop Ebay!!!) and buy the T-Max with AutoTune over all of the competition.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldhippie

I use the dealer Stage II download as a "limp-home" mode should my PCIIIusb fail. The difference between the dealer download and the PCIII are night-and-day: No 4-wheel-drive feel upon de-acceleration, crispthrottle performance, smoother running through the powerband, nearly total elimination of popping or backfiring, easier starting and a cooler running engine.
I agree completely with all the positive things you said about the PCIIIusb, but you lost me on the "no 4-wheel-drive feel upon deceleration". What do you mean by that? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
With the HD Stage II download, upon decelleration (at speed, off the throttle) the engine would wind down like a jeep in 4-wheel-drive mode when you get off the gas pedal - a feel like the engine is still running, but running down. With the PCIII-usb added, the throttle quiets down right away once released - like a jeep in 2-wheel drive mode when you get off the gas pedal - a silent slow-down.

If I did it all over again (with a 2002-and-up FLH) I'd wait, save some more money (or shop Ebay!!!) and buy the T-Max with AutoTune over all of the competition.

The reason a download didnt work for you is all the other than HD parts, The harley downloads have been developed using harley only parts. Plus with the extensive mods you have only a dyno tune will get you the best outcome.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:22 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

Gunrunner what you said makes a lot sense of about the harley download being done forbikes with harley parts. I think I have changed my mind again on the download i'm going with. I was gong to go with a download using direct link,wanted to try something a little different. But the shop that does it is makeing me nervous about their knowledge the moreI talk with them. Talked to the guys at fuelmotto today about the powercommander. They are very knowledgeable about their product. Maybe just good salesman,but that is the direction I am leaning.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser

My one fear with the pc111 is what if it fails? I never thought it would be so hard to make a decision about a fuel managment system. Everyone I talk to has the best system. I have another post onhere about the direct link. It programs the ecm on your bike. Any opinions on this setup?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM
ultralongridesoreass
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had bikes for 34 years, don't make me a expert, but gives me some credibility. SERT is a waste of money. dealer quoted me $650.00 to install and Dyno. Plus $150.00 to install my pipes and Aircleaner and that was $139.00 also. Well thats almost a grand!
The power commander does everything the SERT does except can not change the idle settings. Have you researched the SERT? Who can set the SERT up? Do a good job with the dyno? Hell, it's so complicated that it takes a trained tech to even open up the program.
This was the exact reason I purchased a PC!!! and did it myself! When I was HD, told them my bike pinged rattled ran hot, I was sure the timing was way off. they told me it was in the perameters. LOL
Now was I going to let them guys tune my bike?
So I ran to Fuel moto in Neenah WI, great guys, downloaded a program and off I went. Took me about a hour to install the pipes, stage 1 cleaner and PC111. Downloaded the new 2.2 upload from PC and then the 30 wild pigs program and my bike is not the same one I purchased from my so called knowledgable HD dealer. if you have some ability? do it yourelf and save a ton of money and now i can adjust my tuner, any time I want, not when the HD dealer wants, and yes the closed loop systems are excellent, but much more money. Toss a coin, they are both good. I'm cheap, so I bought the commander! Oh, excellent customer service too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: power commander vs download from hd