Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander vs download from hd

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM
miltflhx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power commander vs download from hd

If i go with the pc111 does my bike have to be dynod? Also if I buy it from fuel motto it comes with a map for my setup,correct? Should I just be able to plug and ride?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynojet has a map already made for your configuration, so you won't need to have it dyno'd. Plus, if you buy it from Fuelmoto, Jamie will send you his version of the map which runs well also. Then, if you're like the rest of us, you'll end up tweaking the map to give you better fuel mileage. Bottom line, the PCIII is very easy to work with on your own. Don't need a dyno unless you want one or want to maximize performance.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: miltflhx

If you buy a power commander does it come programmed for your setup? Or do youdownload it from the internet. Also am I correct that the fuel mamagment units bypass the o2 sensors and the download from my dealerutilizes them?
Dynajet has a bunch of published maps for certain configurations posted on their site for downloads. Although there are a few Rinehart configs, I didn't see yours. Some vendors, like Fuel Moto are in the business of dynotuning PowerCommanders and they have a lot of canned maps that they will load and send you for your specific bike. It basically becomes a pretty close approximation if not perfect for your bike. (things like variations from bike to bike, feet above sea level and temperature are also going to affect things a bit)

Other vendors like maybe the one you bought the pipes from may not have any special maps they'll load. If I were you I'd call Jamie and Fuel Moto, tell him what you have and see if he's got a good map for you to load up on a PC.

The PowerCommander for your bike, comes with 02 sensor "eliminators" it doesn't eliminate the sensors, they are still there, but it forces the sensor to send a singal to the ECM saying "everythings fine down here in the engine room, so don't worry about me." ...and in the mean time the PCiii is doing it's thing and setting the proper AFR (air fuel ratio) for your engine speed and throttle setting.

If you get one of the auto tune devices, they will actually replace the existing 02 sensors with "wide-band" sensors that will look at the exhaust mixture at all rpms and send adjustment data back to their ecm control unit. They are truly and ideal system, but cost about as much as the cost of a PCiii and some tuning time on a dyno. (which you may not really need if you like what the bike is running like after you install a good map with the PCiii.

I went with the PCiii because the tuner I used was familiar with them and thought they were a good tool to use. Your situation may be different.

The problem with the dealer ECM loads, is they are always going to stay EPA compliant and hence you'll alwyas be running lean and hot and not gain the power you have the potential for. If they install a SERT they may do a good job, IF they have someone that knows how to tune them. But not many techs are good with them, even if they have been trained on them.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 AM
miltflhx
Cruiser

I love the idea of the thundermax with autotune, just cant afford it right now. Will hopefully purchase in the future. So for now do Igo with the download from my dealer, and run it for a year? Or is it still better and safer to go the pc111 route ?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 AM
miltflhx
Cruiser

How about the thundermax tuner without autotune,do they have one? And is the thundermax a good tuner. How does it compare to a pc111 ?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
08roady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like to me a fuel management system of some sort is most likely your best bet. Do yours then I will see what I need to do to mine when I get it!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I did a bunch of searches and I am leaning towart fuel mng system(not going with HD download), but only having the dealer use a close map. Im doing a basic stage 1,slipons/ac.
Do you all think a dyno run is a waste or at least trya"close" map included on CD then at a later point in time could go back for a dyno if needed?

Just skeptical about a "epa" regulated download vs fuel mng. And why spend 2-3-4 HD's on a dyno run especially on such a simple mod.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: miltflhx

I love the idea of the thundermax with autotune, just cant afford it right now. Will hopefully purchase in the future. So for now do Igo with the download from my dealer, and run it for a year? Or is it still better and safer to go the pc111 route ?
If you can't afford one of the wideband systems (and I can relate to that) then the PowerComander is a good choice. You cna laways sell the PC at a later date and upgrade your EFI system. With the HD downloads, or SERT, it is a one bike deal. (from what I've read on here, SERTs attach themselves to the ECM and won't run on another ECM.)

Even if you don't like playing with things like PCiii and computer stuff yourself, I'll bet you can find a local buddy that could help you do some tweaking at a later date. The maps that come from places like FuelMoto are excellent for basix stuff like pipes/pc/ac so it's like getting a very good dyno right out of the box.

I'm opinionated, but I was in your situation a few weeks back and this is my write-up of the results. I'm now a very happy camper.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1976510/tm.htm

Old 09-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the dealer Stage II download as a "limp-home" mode should my PCIIIusb fail. The difference between the dealer download and the PCIII are night-and-day: No 4-wheel-drive feel upon de-acceleration, crispthrottle performance, smoother running through the powerband, nearly total elimination of popping or backfiring, easier starting and a cooler running engine.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Firetender

I use the dealer Stage II download as a "limp-home" mode should my PCIIIusb fail. The difference between the dealer download and the PCIII are night-and-day: No 4-wheel-drive feel upon de-acceleration, crispthrottle performance, smoother running through the powerband, nearly total elimination of popping or backfiring, easier starting and a cooler running engine.
I agree completely with all the positive things you said about the PCIIIusb, but you lost me on the "no 4-wheel-drive feel upon deceleration". What do you mean by that? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: power commander vs download from hd