Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs braking system

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008 | 11:06 PM
liftgator
Advanced
Default RE: abs braking system

I waited three months for ABS. It makes good Brembo brakes even better.

Old 01-03-2008 | 11:18 PM
arthur
Road Master

I got my 08 SG with them

Old 01-04-2008 | 12:13 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Duke of HD

Well I do have to say that I was set on the ABS and spent the extra coin on an 08 scoot instead of finding 07 with doo dads already installed. I have done alot of research on the subject and definately find that ABS will only make a very experienced rider even better and the same for a rider of less experience. There are alot of people that say they want to have "complete control" they do not want anything "taking over" for them. I think that is fine, but to say that the ABS is a hinderance to their riding skills is crazy in my opinion.
I like the people that use the words locked, slide, and control all in the same sentance. These aren't dirt bikes...when 1000 lbs of bike decides to go due to brake lock those words don't belong in the sentence together.

Old 01-04-2008 | 04:46 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Duke of HD

Well I do have to say that I was set on the ABS and spent the extra coin on an 08 scoot instead of finding 07 with doo dads already installed. I have done alot of research on the subject and definately find that ABS will only make a very experienced rider even better and the same for a rider of less experience. There are alot of people that say they want to have "complete control" they do not want anything "taking over" for them. I think that is fine, but to say that the ABS is a hinderance to their riding skills is crazy in my opinion.
I like the people that use the words locked, slide, and control all in the same sentance. These aren't dirt bikes...when 1000 lbs of bike decides to go due to brake lock those words don't belong in the sentence together.
+1[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-04-2008 | 05:46 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

The biggest reason that I don't think anyone has touched on is high siding. I think that most of us because of the amount of time spent in cars would panic stop the wrong way. Almost every panic stop I have made in a car wasin this order; hit the pedal, brakes lock up, release pedal, regain control. On a motorcycle, that can get you killed. We have all been taught that if you lock up the rear brakes you must stay with them until the bike stops or risk high siding. We know we must do that, but in the "panic" stop you might forget and release the rear brake. Once the laws of physics take over a pro bull rider would have a hard time hanging on. I think this may be the best reason for the ABS. Please correct me if I am wrong. T.

Old 01-04-2008 | 02:57 PM
Opossum
Cruiser

In a straight line skid the ABS work fantastic! The high side situation kills you when brakin in a corner or on the lean which in these cases the ABS won't do no good. If your gonna slide straight forward in grease, wet leaves or other types of slime the ABS will keep your front wheel from slidin out from under ya and that's worth the $800.

Old 01-04-2008 | 05:00 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Old 01-04-2008 | 05:25 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Opossum

In a straight line skid the ABS work fantastic! The high side situation kills you when brakin in a corner or on the lean which in these cases the ABS won't do no good. If your gonna slide straight forward in grease, wet leaves or other types of slime the ABS will keep your front wheel from slidin out from under ya and that's worth the $800.
The Harley video Windowman has graciously posted links for makes one very good point. In a curve you do not change your riding habits....ABS or not -- physics still work -- if you are leaning over and stop you fall down. As most are taught if at all possible straighten then brake.

In a straight line slide you have the potential of highsiding during a slide in which you back wheel is lockedand coming around (very common). Your back wheel only needs to be slightly out of track to cause this. You are taught to hold the brake so your back wheel does not grab while off trackwhich is what causes youtohigh side. In geneal, there is a window in which you can release and rebrake but that window is usually small. ABS remedies this by pumping the brakes faster then you can not allowing the rear wheel to actually go into a full slide and aleviating the high side issue.

I am only talking about the back brakes and high siding.

Old 01-04-2008 | 06:54 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

I can only speek for myself,this isthe first bike Ive had with ABS, I questioned the extra money at first, but I now say if I could only afford one option this would be it. A few days after we picked up the bike my wife and I got caught ina down-pour, pulled into an empty parking lot and decided to try out the ABS, first at 20 mph cool , then 30 mph, Hey.. this is pretty good, then at45, It made a beliver out of me..Man, Im telling you, nail it, and theres complete control. Bottom line it will be the best money you will every spend. Tim

[IMG]local://upfiles/46392/170C8CC23DF44760900E2A73D5FE2814.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008 | 09:37 PM
oldrt
Intermediate

I am new to the Harley-Davidson family. I have owned several BMW bikes that had Brembo ABS brakes standard, in the 250,000 + miles that I have ridden I only needed the ABS brakes twice and I was so happy that I had it, it saved me both times. It allows you to control and steer your way out of trouble.

As a side note if the manufacture makes ABS I order it. My Goldwing has it, my Yamaha FJR has it, and my Harley RG has it. The Harley would not be in my garage with out ABS, way to heavy a bike not to have it.