Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs braking system

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008 | 05:31 PM
FLHTCUI08INCALI
Novice
Default RE: abs braking system

I had to wait an Extra month to get abs on my bike .
I am glad I waited , after having it I would never want a bike without.
I was worried they would feel different , but no the brakes feel great.
No doubt about it BUY ABS

Old 01-03-2008 | 05:40 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

Have to agree, only reason I got bike when I did was because of the ABS system and Brembo combo.
I waited 3 months to ge get my rig, worth every penny. I was goint to get an 07 with a nice discount but passed it up to wait for the unit w/ ABS.
ORIGINAL: Opossum

Only got 700 miles on the new Ulta and that's the best 800 clams I ever spent! With the new Brembos and the ABS, probably the best innovation Harley's had in many years! DO IT.

Old 01-03-2008 | 06:21 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain

Boy you guys sure confuse me alot "TOO ABS OR NOT TO ABS"

Old 01-03-2008 | 06:40 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cirhere2

Boy you guys sure confuse me alot "TOO ABS OR NOT TO ABS"

I don't see the confusion? Looks like about 95% say get it, the other 5% say no but don't have it

Old 01-03-2008 | 06:52 PM
Bluerose

Harley was actaully amazed at the demand for the ABS. My dealer said he was only allowed to order 40% of his bikes with it.

It is true that your average emergancy stop on dry pavement may be slightly greater (5 - 6 feet) then without the ABS but you would be coming to a controled stop instead of a "OH ****!" stop. ABS really shines on non-dry surfaces and dirt...the stopping differences can be as much as 30 feet better for the ABS equiped bikes and is by far more controlled.

To each thier own. I like them on the bike...they bug me (but I have them) in my car. The new Brembos brakes sure to grab though I keep trying to through myself over the bars (and never engage the ABS) [&:]

211Chuck - I agree that most should practice braking. But I do not agree that ABS only helps those with weak skills.

I made it a mission last year to really learn how to brake (every time I went out I practiced)and when I really needed it, it mattered....I did a panic stop ina short distance. That was when I decided that I would like to have ABS...my rear tire which was at the proper pressure and still ingood shape locked and came around. I held the slide and was able to stop...I felt I had some control but not nearly what I would have with ABS. I was happy with my stop and was not scared away from regular brakes. I watched the videos on ABS, read the papers. I found many studys and many opinions but the overwelming agreement was that ABS is a good thing for ALL riders.

Old 01-03-2008 | 08:23 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Glad my bike didn't come with ABS brakes, The Brebo brake CAlipers work just fine by themsleves. The bike stops real good.

Old 01-03-2008 | 08:24 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: curmudgeon

Fist off, for the love of God, stop calling it ABS breaking system. That is like saying antilock breaking system breaking system.

Second, I would spend the extra $800 dollars on chrome. That way more people would notice me and slow down to take a longer look.

For the love of God, the word is braking, not breaking, but I understand what you're saying. Another one I hate is the term "VIN number." Why?! Vehicle Identification Number number is redundant, no?

Old 01-03-2008 | 08:36 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

ABS was worth the price. I will never own a bike without it. [/align]

Old 01-03-2008 | 08:39 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer

Well I do have to say that I was set on the ABS and spent the extra coin on an 08 scoot instead of finding 07 with doo dads already installed. I have done alot of research on the subject and definately find that ABS will only make a very experienced rider even better and the same for a rider of less experience. There are alot of people that say they want to have "complete control" they do not want anything "taking over" for them. I think that is fine, but to say that the ABS is a hinderance to their riding skills is crazy in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2008 | 09:17 PM
dabuckman
Advanced

Love the fact I don't have to be concerned with a lockup. Spending the extra $$$ on ABS wasn't even a second thought.

Quick Reply: abs braking system