Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding seasons just get shorter and shorter.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:01 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master
Default Riding seasons just get shorter and shorter.

I seems like just last week that I lowered the bike off the lift, rolled it outside and took my first spring ride. Its been a hectic summer, I rode when I could. I had a few 100 mile + days, but not many of them. I really tried to master trail braking this season and focused on low speed 'watch on where you are going, not in front of you' during low speed maneuvers. I didnt ride nearly as much as I wanted, but I cherished the time that I did.

Today I rolled the bike back on the lift, strapped it down and hoisted it back in the air. My season is over. (From here forward the days will start dropping below 40 and rain until the snow starts in early November).

Jeebus I feel old. Why did riding seasons in your 20's seem to last so much longer?

The following users liked this post:
jeffro09 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:03 PM
joebedford
Cruiser

They last all year round for me.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:22 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Dear Troll, I do identify with your feeling that time is warped. In my later 70’s, time seems to move very slowly in the moment, but flies when I’m not paying attention. It seemed I got so much more done when I didn’t have time for anything. Now that I have time, it seems very little gets finished on a timely schedule.

i also don’t ride as much. Just jumping on the bike to run an errand seems more like work. I now enjoy 3 day or more rides, 10-14 days are better. Funny, same for wilderness fly fishing and hunting. Used to run out bow hunting after work, now I just need to take a long weekend or mid week and stay out, sleep in the car. I like the mobility of not having a permanent tent that I have to return to each evening.

I doubt I put on 2500 miles this summer. Wife decided at mid 70’s that she does want to tour two up anymore, so I’m stuck with solo trips. That’s okay, but I’m limited to riding to Sturgis, or Oklahoma or the Oregon coast. No great adventures. Fortunately I did Alaska a few years ago, a grand tour of Canada and the USA, so there isn’t a crushing need to explore far far away again.

But your post got me thinking about how like you, this summer just seems like I’m getting ready and it’s over. Jokes on me.

Old Yesterday | 11:37 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior

It's the math, when you are 20 a year is 1/20th (.05) of your life. That's a decent sized chunk. But when you are 70 a year is 1/70th (.0142) of your life and just flashes by as a percent of the total.
For Joe Biden.... what was I talking about...