Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A seat for the Fatguy...on a Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 10:51 PM
fatguyona1000
|
Road Captain
Default A seat for the Fatguy...on a Street Glide

Hello all,

I've read alot of posts and heard alot about the Sundowner and a few others, But I know most of you guys are little people....or atleast your butt is not as big as mine. I'm about 6' and about 285, hence my tagname.

I need for the bigger fellas to help me decide on a seat. I looked at the Mustang solo seat. That's another thing, I believe I want to get a solo and seperate pillion, but I'm not sure. My main concern is comfort. I put alot of miles on my bikes a year with quite a few 2-400 mile days. I noticed on Mustangs site that the solo's weren't listed for the FLHX. I guess I could give Mustang a call, but if someone here already knows....

I hear Corbins are comfortable, but stiff. To me that doesn't translate as comfortable. The Corbin line of seats doesn't especially appeal to me either. I've never set on a Corbin or a Mustang for that matter and nobody down here has one.

What else is out there or is that all I need to know?

Help me and my fata$$.

Thanks,
Fatguy

Old 11-22-2005 | 11:14 PM
FLRYDR
Advanced
Default RE: A seat for the Fatguy...on a Street Glide

Hello my fellow large dude. I too am of substantial size and weight and I can tell you I love my Mustang seat. I actually outweigh you a few lbs and have ridden (and this is the honest truth) 1062 miles on a mustang in 1 day in 2000. I also did around 740 in July on the way to Sturgis. I got the 17" wide touring seat and could easily do that many miles again with no problem.

Hope this helps,

Mark aka FLRYDR

Old 11-22-2005 | 11:42 PM
frankencat
5th Gear

Mustang for sure

Old 11-22-2005 | 11:57 PM
fatguyona1000
|
Road Captain

Thanks Mark, that does help. I'm already leaning towards the Mustang and that response is making it that much more of a probability.

1062 miles in a day?! Did you get an Iron Butt patch? I wanted to do an Iron butt on my Gixxer just for the novelty of doing it on a sportbike rather than a cruiser or something, but fatness took over and I came back to reality and decided to just watch tv instead. I have done some 400 mile trecs on it though, but I'm usually kissing the ground when I get to my destination. It just gets hard on the back anymore.

...And, the main reason I wanted to go with the solo was for asthetic reasons. The low seat on the Street Glide looks good, alot better than a Street Glide with a EG seat on it. Soooooo, I'm after that unobtainable goal - the perfect balance of form and function.

...but bring on the suggestions and responses.

fatguy,
Brett

Old 11-23-2005 | 02:03 AM
tailg8r
Stage III

I have an '05 Electra Glide Classic. One of the first things I did was to research seats, as I am a big guy myself (265). I went to Corbin, and spent a Saturday morning, having them shape a seat to my A$$. I've ridden to Laughlin, to Reno, all over the place, and my A$$ never was tired, my back didn't hurt, etc. The seats my feel stiffer, but my experience has been great with Corbin seats. I also think that mustang makes an excellent product also. I just liked the idea that I could get one really custom made with the color, type of leather, shape, etc. I also got the detachable backrest. I will NEVER go on a long trip without the back rest. It makes a huge difference. Best of luck.

Old 11-23-2005 | 03:32 AM
fatguyona1000
|
Road Captain

You know, that's why I want to try them out. I'm sure if I could go there and get them to custom form one to my big butt that I would love it. And also, I'm sure that I would like a Corbin over all, but I think the mustangs just appeal to me more. Even the backrests at Mustang look better to me. I think maybe its because Corbin is a little flashier or something......I dunno. I wish you lived down here so I could try out your Corbin though.

Fatguy,
Brett

Old 11-23-2005 | 11:39 PM
FLRYDR
Advanced

Brett,

No I didn't get the Iron Butt patch because I started out to just ride about half that distance. I was on the way home from NW Pennsylvania to Dallas and basically just kept riding to see how far I could make it. Since I didn't intend to do that many miles I had no documentation etc. BTW if you don't decide to go solo most if not all the Mustang seats also work with the HD backrest.

See ya,

FLRYDR

Mark

05 FLHTCUI

Old 11-24-2005 | 12:51 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

just my 2 cents but i have corbins on both my rides they are stiff and hard. but they get more comfortable with every mile especially if you use the back rest.

Old 11-24-2005 | 02:20 AM
fatguyona1000
|
Road Captain

Yeah, but Mike, are you a big guy? That's what I hear about Corbin....I just wish I could try one out.

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:27 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

CORBIN with this CAUTION = (this is only my suggetion) if you go this route - do a "ride in appoitment" I have heard horror stories about mail order - I really don't get it - Iam lucky - I live within a 90 min ride to Hollister Corbin - had three HD's since 96 - all have had the Corbin and I would not ride on anyting else - but thats me...
You might look at http://www.saddlemen.com/roadsofa_hd.html

Quick Reply: A seat for the Fatguy...on a Street Glide