Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying used Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 AM
24guns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying used Ultra

Long time reader first time poster to this incredible forum. Tons of great advice and of course awesome rides posted.

I'm looking to buy one of three used Ultras within the next two weeks. While this is my first Harley,it isn't my first bike.
However, I need to be careful thatI don't buy on impulse rather than solid fact.

I need a little help in determining what to look for. I know about the crack on the touring pack, but what else seems to be prevalent on Ultras around the 2001-2002 model years?

I have three prospectsin front of me right now.

(2) 2001 - ~21k miles, each were one owner currently being prepped for sale at the dealer. Dealer says both were HD factory worker trades.
(1) 2002 - 33, yes 33, original miles - I'm a little worried about this one since it sat unused for 5 years

What should I look for on these bikes?

I plan on putting a ton of miles under my **** once I pick 'er up, soI dont wantto dump a ton of money on Monday just to buy 2k dollars in parts on Tuesday.

Thoughts, opinions.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Advice on buying used Ultra

kinda depends on price. 2002 was supposed to be a good year for the TC88 engine. Which one do you like better. Depending on price but I'd look at the 02. Take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. You can have trouble with higher mileage bikes also. Newer year and lower mileage, same price? I like low mileage. I bought a 04 sportster this year that had 146 miles on it when I got it. It was like brand new. Had no problems at all with it. Sold it for more than I paid, because of the mileage. good luck on your decision.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be way leary of the one with 33 miles. Did it get a speedo replacement??? Was it wrecked and just finally put back together??? That one would take some serious research before I would even consider it.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

THE 02 HAD MORE IMPROVEMENTS ON IT THAN ANY OF THE CHANGES THAT MATTER SINCE INCEPTION OF THE 02. Make sure it is a good deal or just buy new with full warranty. If you are buying from a dealer by all means get the warranty. on a 33,000 mile bike assuming proper service there should not be any real problems. I would not buy an 01 or earlier. the fuel injection system is much better on the 02 and later. Make sure the tires are good, good brakes and an absense of rustHave the steering head bearings checked and make sure the rear shocks air hoses are intact and not leakinggiveit a good test ride by a competent mechanic and do a compression leak down test. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 AM
24guns
Cruiser

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I'd love to buy new, but I am going to be building a house next year and need to conserve some cash. Plus kids to college in a couple years, you know the drill.

The story with the 33 miler goes....
The guy bought it, had it delivered to his garage. A few days later he was in a car accident, not involving the bike.
It messed up his back and his Dr says there is no way he can be rehabbed enough to ride again. Now, he's looking to unload the bike.
He never really even got to ride the poor bugger.

Well, price is as follows:

2001's are right around the $13,000 mark
2002 - the 33 miler - is about $15,500 as of this writing.
All are dealer sells, no private.

I like them all about the same. The 2002 is a sinister blue and diamond ice paint job, which I haven't been able to find a pic of yet. The bike is at a dealer about 2 hours from me so, popping in to see it is a little tough at the moment. Dealer is to send me pics next week.

I did stop this weekend to view one of the '01s. It was in the service dept getting reconditioned for sale. I started getting nosy and ran my hand under the crank, pulled a fist full of fresh earl from underneath. Crouched on the floor to find a puddle of oil about 6 inches in diameter, but looking very fresh - no discoloration whatsoever. This concerned me, but the mechanic said "that is one items being addressed on the recondition list". Is this a leaky crank seal or what, I do not know, but I do like this bike best for color and options. Obviously the oil puddle turned me off.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the sinister blue and diamond ice on an 02 Fat Boy. Posted it big so you could get a good look at it. Sorry non-broadband users

Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 AM
24guns
Cruiser

That is tempting. Thanks for the pic, this helps tremendously!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
billydflnc
Cruiser

The '02 has the better efi system... it's programmable and the '01 has verylimited "canned" downloads available ... the '02 should get better mileage too !!! 33 miles can't be beat in my book.... buy the '02

Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

As mentioned the 02 is a choice year. First year for the Delphi FI, still used today, and much better than the earlier system. Last year for the double Timken bearing bottom end, much beefier than 03 and up. And first year for the substantially beefed up rear swingarm on touring bikes, nice improvement in handling.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I like the '02 just for the improvements made in that year and subsequent less desireable changes in years after (loss of Timken bearings). There are a lot of folks that consider '02 to be the best year for Twin Cams. I would have the '02 checked out really, really well by a trusted mechanic and I would expect it to need a few seals replaced if nothing else. That price, though, seems pretty high for a 5 year old bike in a flooded buyers market.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying used Ultra