Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost stage 1 with PCIII and pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 AM
2106HD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost stage 1 with PCIII and pipes

I had purchased a used set of Python touring slip-ons from a friend and tried them on my bike. Got lots of decel popping. Read many posts here about needing or not needing to add a fuel management system when just using pipes. I checked with several dealers and independant repair shops and got as many different answers from them as there are opinions here. Sme said the bike will automatically adjust the fuel, some said get a sert, some said a fuel pack, some a PCIII, some a hd download...and on and on.

To be safe, I removed the pipes. I was able to purchase a used PCIII from a member here. I installed the power commander download for a completely stock 06 touring into the PCIII and reinstalled the Python slip-ons.

No decell popping at all. Did not "feel" any difference in performance. Did notice the extra cranking to start, but no extra cranking if you hit the start right after pushing the kill switch to "on".

Now to decide should I spend the $125 for a K&N RK-3909 air filter kit?

Just wanted to let others know my results and gather opinions on the air filter.....Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Almost stage 1 with PCIII and pipes

I have the PCIII, SE Air Cleaner, Wild Pig pipes on V&H Dresser Duels on my 2006 Street Glide. I had the Stage 1 HD download with this set up before installing the PCIII and had decel popping also. The PCIII took care of that and with the PCIII is where I noticed the biggest change in "power". I did all of the changed one step at a time and noticed very little change until adding the PCIII.

Just my experience.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2106HD
Some said the bike will automatically adjust the fuel, some said get a sert, some said a fuel pack, some a PCIII, some a hd download...and on and on.
Unless there's something I'm missing, the '06 Delphi open-loop EFI won't auto tune at all. There is no input from which it can determine what to do. In the case of the '07's, the narrow-band closed-loop EFI should compensate for changes while in closed-loop mode, which is mostly in the idle and cruise modes. At full-throttle there will be no adjustment.

To be safe, I removed the pipes. I was able to purchase a used PCIII from a member here. I installed the power commander download for a completely stock 06 touring into the PCIII and reinstalled the Python slip-ons. No decell popping at all. Did not "feel" any difference in performance.
Adding a PCIII mapped for stock, then installing the Bassani's will produce a lean mixture, so I'm not surprised it didn't run optimally.

Did notice the extra cranking to start, but no extra cranking if you hit the start right after pushing the kill switch to "on".
Known problem. Turn ignition on, then start immediately. Don't wait for the "check engine" light to go off.

Now to decide should I spend the $125 for a K&N RK-3909 air filter kit?
When this is accompanied by a proper map, it is the best bang-for-the-buck performance upgrade you'll do.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Air Filter Kit - Highly recommend Ness Big Sucker!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:34 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iclick

Unless there's something I'm missing, the '06 Delphi open-loop EFI won't auto tune at all. There is no input from which it can determine what to do. In the case of the '07's, the narrow-band closed-loop EFI should compensate for changes while in closed-loop mode, which is mostly in the idle and cruise modes. At full-throttle there will be no adjustment.
I've been doing some research and have confirmed it with my seat-of-pants equipment. I'm going to start a thread on it later this evening. Suffice it to say for now, the '07 ECU has and uses the capability of factoring the entire fuel map based on its findings in closed loop running. This factor is kept in non-volatile memory. If you've been running non-stock at all, you either need to put it all back together and ride a while or visit the Digital Technician to reset the factoring value (it's called "AFV") before looking for good results with the PC-III, especially with a canned map (assuming the canner knew about the AFV before they dynoed the bike).

I'll cover this later in my thread, but in respect to our previous "conversations", DO NOT put the 02s in line with the PC-III if you don't want trouble down the line with your PC mapping.

Turn ignition on, then start immediately. Don't wait for the "check engine" light to go off.
You can also turn off the Run/Stop switch, and if enough time has passed (couple seconds) when you turn it back to Run, the fuel pump will "whirr" and that's when it'll fire right up. The PC-III gets its power from the same circuit as the fuel pump. If the fuel pump isn't running, neither is the PC-III.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Air Filter Kit - Highly recommend Ness Big Sucker!!!
I haven't got that one and didn't want it because it's made off-shore. I've got the K&N. The crankcase breather arrangement is very much better on the Ness and I acknowledge that. It's quite desirable for that feature. I'm saddened in this case but will stick to my guns and keep as much of my money as possible right here at home. I've taken the stock short tubes from the breather bolts and zip-tied them to the rubber velocity stack in the K&N so the "stuff" gets sucked in more-so than running down and out the filter backing-plate of the K&N.