Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound like primary chain is skipping

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:40 PM
Stephenson377
|
1st Gear
Default Sound like primary chain is skipping

Hi Everyone. My name is Stephen and I own a 2012 Road king 103 6 speed.

I found a few similar threats but didn't get enough info out. Everything starts little by little. Bike started like compensator is skipping. I replaced spring behind the compensator for the heavy duty one. Check the tensioner and tight it to the spec of 1/2 inch chain play. Put everything back together but nothing changed. I've order compensator eliminator and installed it today, adjust the tensioner to 1/2 chain play and went for the test ride. It's a little bit better but still doing it and plus start having the clicking noise when dropping the gas.

Pretty much what is happening. During hard acceleration 1st and 2nd gear acting like it's skipping the gear teeth or chain teeth with (clicking/cracking/snapping) noise. While the eliminator is installed and stock chain tensioner is adjusted tight. Any ideas what it could be. Plus when dropping the gas got clicking/cracking noise from primary. Tensioner looks ok and in order.

The following users liked this post:
blue flht (Today)
Old Yesterday | 05:10 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Have you checked your belt and pulleys?

The following 2 users liked this post by piasspj:
hattitude (Yesterday), NorthWestern (Today)
Old Yesterday | 05:20 PM
Stephenson377
|
1st Gear

No I didn’t. I’ll check the adjustment now

memphisharley (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:26 PM
Stephenson377
|
1st Gear

So emberasing! It's loose🤦🏻‍♂️. I’ll adjust it now and update about the noise from primary

Old Yesterday | 05:32 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

How many miles are on the motorcycle? It's possible that either the crank has spun in the compensator or the clutch hub/ basket has stripped the splines on the transmission mainshaft. I wouldn't want either one but I'd rather it be the mainshaft. Are you checking the primary chain for a tight spot and then making the adjustments? 1/2" is tight and if it's not adjusted in the tight spot that chains going to be way too tight, which causes problems too.

Old Yesterday | 05:45 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

One step at a time, and stop buying parts.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
GalvTexGuy (Yesterday), hattitude (Yesterday), KK0G (Today)
Old Yesterday | 06:05 PM
Bandit.
Stellar HDF Member

I'm having the same issues. Replaced compensator, and drive belt. Only does it in high tourney situations. Changing motor mounts next. 2012 flhrc 93000 miles.I can feel it in the frame but not the shifter. I'm at my wits end.

Last edited by Bandit.; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.
Old Yesterday | 06:28 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Bandit.
I'm having the same issues. Replaced compensator, and drive belt. Only does it in high tourney situations. Changing motor mounts next. 2012 flhrc 93000 miles.I can feel it in the frame but not the shifter. I'm at my wits end.
It’s would be best to start your own thread instead of posting your issues in someone else’s thread.

Old Yesterday | 09:39 PM
Stephenson377
|
1st Gear

That's it guys!!! Problem solved. Just finished adjusting rear axle. A lot of cursing and laughing with my wife, she was helping me with wrench on the opposite side of the wheel. Now no skipping and no noise. Everything is good now. Except my pocket . While I was adjusting it was kinda hard to hold the axle in place with cam not moving. Found "Big bear" axle lock. Probably will go with that one. Let me know what you think about it. Thank you for your help and your time guys!!!

hattitude (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:14 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stephenson377

That's it guys!!! Problem solved. Just finished adjusting rear axle. A lot of cursing and laughing with my wife, she was helping me with wrench on the opposite side of the wheel. Now no skipping and no noise. Everything is good now. Except my pocket . While I was adjusting it was kinda hard to hold the axle in place with cam not moving. Found "Big bear" axle lock. Probably will go with that one. Let me know what you think about it. Thank you for your help and your time guys!!!

You have just learned an expensive lesson, that most of us have learned the hard way early in out wrenching histories.....

Don't try to solve a problem by throwing parts at it....

Take the time and put forth the effort to actually diagnose/find the cause of the issue, before buying parts... It is usually much more cost effective this way..

Glad you found your issues and good luck with your future wrenching....

KK0G (Today)

Quick Reply: Sound like primary chain is skipping