Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must be doing something wrong getting error codes.

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:45 AM
FreightTrain777
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I must be doing something wrong getting error codes.

Hello All,
I go through this process to get codes on my 2003 Ultra, and for some reason DIAG is not coming up in the speedometer.
I hit the run switch, hold in the odometer button, and then turn the ignition switch. The manual says DIAG should appear
in the odometer. I get do1Clr - d10Clr, and then the pulse count. I am doing something wrong.
The starter just does not seem to be lining up, and it will kick out, and do an occasional grind like an old Chrysler
stater would do in the old days. So, I was looking to see if there was any codes since when this happens it trips the check engine light.
If the bike starts normal, no engine light at all, everything normal.
Thanks.

Old Today, 04:38 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 850 Likes on 322 Posts
Old Today, 06:33 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,308 Likes on 1,831 Posts

All are coming up clear. Not everything has a code. Some years yuou had to use a paper clip, I am not sure what year all the codes came through dash. If you had an active code, it would come up a second time after starting bike. Stay on for 8 seconds, if in history, stay on if active, I believe.

if your starter just spins, there is probably no code. Probably bad starter clutch, or bad battery.

Put a jump pack or battery charger see if it starts better. Just guessing from a million miles away its starter clutch, which are worse with low voltage.

You got to much free time, to take the pics.

Old Today, 09:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,227 Likes on 4,422 Posts

As mentioned different years have different techniques for getting the engine diagnostic codes. As the sophistication of the TSSM to BCM and ECMs have progressed, the way to retrieve the various code types has become easier.

Your 2003 Ultra is old school... I just checked my 2003 Softail electrical diagnostic manual, and I believe your Touring bike is the same as a softail with the large speedometer on the tank console.

On your bike, there are three sets of codes to access, in three different ways.

What you have been doing & seeing are the speedometer codes. You are showing d01- d10 are clear. Again, these are speedometer codes. You have none to show.

There is also a way to check TSSM/TSM codes, via a flashing security key light in the speedometer.

Finally, there is a way to check the engine diagnostic codes, via a flashing check engine light. This requires the use of a jumper wire (I believe between terminals 1 & 2) in the diagnostic port to enter engine diagnostic mode. Then you count the flashing engine lights to get the code(s) to look up.

There is a short cut to know if you have any engine diagnostic codes to bother to look up.

1) If you start the engine, and the check engine light goes off, and stays off- you have no engine diagnostic codes

2) If you start the engine, and the check engine light stays on- you have a current engine diagnostic code.

3) If you start the engine, the check engine light goes off, within a few seconds it comes back on again for 4 seconds, then goes off again- you have a historic engine diagnostic code.

Engine Diagnostic Codes go through a progression from no codes, to active codes, to historic codes, and eventually back to no codes. For your year it takes a diagnostic tool or an HD scanalyzer tool (early diagnostic tool), to clear any codes. A historic diagnostic code will be cleared automatically after a certain number of engine cycles (I forget the exact number).

I hope this information helps....