Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade from 88 to 96 or 103 ?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Mongo1958
Road Warrior
Received 869 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Vickersguy
I went to the local HD dealership and fell into the hands of the sales staff. They wouldn't leave me alone till I took a test drive on a 103. I was really impressed with the ride and extra power of the 103 over my 88. I have heard that the " seat of the pants " feel of the 96 is about the same as the 103. That, and I think there are no Cats on the 96 and there is less complexity, without the oil coolers and all, that make me think a 96 might be a better option. So, is that extra 7 cuin. that big a deal ? Gotta go, but will post a few more thoughts shortly.
If it were me, I'd look for a nice low mileage 2014 with a 103, by then the bugs of the bike were worked out.
If you decide on a 96", just be aware of the comp issues and the radio is a single din HK unit.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
gonefortheborder
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I've had all three, an 88, 96 and 103. My "seat of the pants" feel is that there isn't that much difference between the 88 and the 96 but there seemed to be a lot more difference between the 96 and the 103 that I have now.

However, as has already been said, it's likely your dissatisfaction rests somewhere other than the motor. There are some chassis upgrades between the Twin Cam and Rushmore eras but I'd think about clearing up any chassis/steering issues on your bike before throwing money at a motor or thinking about a trade-in. You might be surprised.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 658 Posts

Try the M8

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,289 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Maybe you just want another bike. Nothing wrong with that. I would go rushmore with 103 and better saddle bag latches. You can't have to many bikes either.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,212 Likes on 4,412 Posts

There is no replacement for displacement......

Just saying

Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Vickersguy
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There is definitely something wrong with the chassis on the 88. Not a big problem, just an annoying uncertainty in the handling. Honestly, I'm just sick to death of working on this bike. I bought it knowing it needed tires. No problem. Wearing out tires is what we do !

( Rant Warning )

Got the tires off and found the belt cut halfway through. K, Added a belt to the task. Rear pulley was pretty worn, so I added that too. Took off the inner primary and found the inner primary bearing was buggered too, In for a penny do it all, right ? New seal for the gear shift shaft, new bearing for the inner primary and seal also. Then off to the cam chest. New to me bike with 47K on the clock, have to do the 40K maintenance. New lifters, tensioner check, oil pump check and so forth. New inner and outer cam bearings, new oil pump, tensioners were excellent. Figured out the front motor mount was shot, so all new mounts were installed. Got the motor back together, fired it up, oil pressure went to 60 PSI instantly. Had to take it all apart and sort that out. All together, wheel alignment done three times, and that's where I am. I think the front end is twisted. At this point, the thought of tearing apart the front end is so depressing, I can't even tell you. I spent most of the season working on the thing, and I'm gonna have to do another big project ? No. No. No. Add to that, the compensator is banging away occasionally too.
I enjoy working on bikes, generally, but there is a limit. A 103 would seem to be the way to go. I don't want to mess around with this one anymore.

Last edited by Vickersguy; Yesterday at 10:52 PM. Reason: add information
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 839 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Vickersguy
There is definitely something wrong with the chassis on the 88. Not a big problem, just an annoying uncertainty in the handling. Honestly, I'm just sick to death of working on this bike. I bought it knowing it needed tires. No problem. Wearing out tires is what we do !

( Rant Warning )

Got the tires off and found the belt cut halfway through. K, Added a belt to the task. Rear pulley was pretty worn, so I added that too. Took off the inner primary and found the inner primary bearing was buggered too, In for a penny do it all, right ? New seal for the gear shift shaft, new bearing for the inner primary and seal also. Then off to the cam chest. New to me bike with 47K on the clock, have to do the 40K maintenance. New lifters, tensioner check, oil pump check and so forth. New inner and outer cam bearings, new oil pump, tensioners were excellent. Figured out the front motor mount was shot, so all new mounts were installed. Got the motor back together, fired it up, oil pressure went to 60 PSI instantly. Had to take it all apart and sort that out. All together, wheel alignment done three times, and that's where I am. I think the front end is twisted. At this point, the thought of tearing apart the front end is so depressing, I can't even tell you. I spent most of the season working on the thing, and I'm gonna have to do another big project ? No. No. No. Add to that, the compensator is banging away occasionally too.
I enjoy working on bikes, generally, but there is a limit. A 103 would seem to be the way to go. I don't want to mess around with this one anymore.
They handle bad with a shot front motor mount, that is basically what keeps it in a straight line...you may have fixed the issue.